The Student Room Group

Is English literature a respected degree?

Whenever I tell people I would like to do English at uni they ask me if I want to be a teacher? I really don't want to be a teacher and am worried that having an English degree will only lead me to this career path. I would like to go into publishing, journalism or editing, would English be the best degree for this?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ambermariemorgan
Whenever I tell people I would like to do English at uni they ask me if I want to be a teacher? I really don't want to be a teacher and am worried that having an English degree will only lead me to this career path. I would like to go into publishing, journalism or editing, would English be the best degree for this?

Why don't you do a Journalism degree?

My friend is in his second year and he's currently on an exchange over in the USA at The University of Missouri. He's been writing articles for local paper's, working as an assistant producer on news shows, writing for magazines and all sorts.

Nowadays degrees teaches you more transferable skills.

English at uni teaches you how to read, analyse, synthesise vasts amount of information and also how to academically write about English. Journalism on the other hand is more of a practical/vocational degree - in terms of if you studied Publishing/Journalism that will teach you all the principles about that profession i.e what makes a good journalist, the publishing industry, etc. It teaches you how to write about that specific thing, rather a general understanding of the literary principle of English Literature. English is more broader essentially.

Since it's a broad area, it teaches you more transferable skills that employers want. Then you'd get experience in the publishing industry then apply for publishing posts. That's the way most employers would want. It's recommend you study English then get experience.
I want to do English too and whenever someone says it's not respectable, I say it's way more respectable than golf management or Harry Potter degrees.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
I want to do English too and whenever someone says it's not respectable, I say it's way more respectable than golf management or Harry Potter degrees.

If you're comparing the degree with Golf management, and Harry Potter studies, then something tells me you aren't exactly on to a winner..
Original post by The Wavefunction
If you're comparing the degree with Golf management, and Harry Potter studies, then something tells me you aren't exactly on to a winner..

Makes English look like the top though :u:
Makes English look like the top though :u:

Whatever tickle's your pickle
Whatever tickle's your pickle

*tickles
Reply 8

Depends on the uni.
*tickles

I think you'll nail that English degree
I think you'll nail that English degree

Me too tbh :u:
Reply 11

There are Harry potter degrees?
Me too tbh :u:

Good luck fam
Original post by Attempt
There are Harry potter degrees?

Apparently so
Reply 14
Apparently so

What's next?

Anal studies?
Original post by Attempt
What's next?

Anal studies?

I think there's an e-book on that
Reply 16
I would have thought English is a respectable degree as it's a core subject in school
You will get that a lot! Four years of studying English and I still get it lol! It's important to ignore what other people's opinions are on subjects and just do what you enjoy. When you get to uni, you'll be surrounded by other English students and you can all swap stories on the comments people have made to you and talk about all the great things about your subject lol

http://www.whystudyenglish.ac.uk/index.htm

http://www.whystudyenglish.ac.uk/you-can/knowledge.htm

Some things to browse through and read to help you think about the skills you will get from studying English! From what I was advised when picking degrees - English is the best option for the field that interests you. You will have a broader learning than say a journalism degree (as was previously suggested) but I would say stick to English and keep your options opens. More universities offer English, you can be at a highly respected university studying English and this can make a difference for postgraduate/employment opportunities.

Also I would suggest maybe looking into English Language as well. I'm studying both at uni at the moment and the modules available at my university specifically include work on journalism and editing. I have a preference for Language because it is this type of thing that interests me too and I feel the work is more catered towards that!

Another good way of picking up skills for this type of work is getting involved in societies such as creative writing (self-editing skills!) or the newspaper :smile:

You can do a degree in Harry Potter?! Or was that sarcasm?
You'll be fine with Lit at a top uni

At a not top uni...well the two Lit graduates from not that great unis I know want to go into teaching anyway
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending