The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Deyesy
My mum is on around £33,000 a year so I'd say we're not rich nor on a low income :smile: I'm not denying people are affected by their disability in different ways - when did I ever say they weren't?

You still haven't said why you think disabled students aren't wanted at university? :smile:

Becuase of drop out rates are high eg Sussex uni 80% of autisitic student drop out!!
Reply 21
Original post by Dan2194
Becuase of drop out rates are high eg Sussex uni 80% of autisitic student drop out!!

And you think this drop out is purely down because they're 'not wanted'?
Reply 22
Original post by Charlotte49
DSA judge it by if you already have a laptop that could run the recommended software on then you don't need one from them. Since you have a gaming laptop I'd assume they see it as being sufficient. And realistically, why should someone who already has two laptops get a third for free just because they feel entitled to it? As you said, the £95 is towards an upgrade, I'm sure if you had no laptop or one that couldn't run the software you need then you would get one for free.

no free laptops anymore
Reply 23
Original post by Deyesy
And you think this drop out is purely down because they're 'not wanted'?

i answered your question i do not care if you agree with me or not.
diasbled students are put up with at uni they are not wanted.
my view, bye
Reply 24
Original post by Dan2194
i answered your question i do not care if you agree with me or not.
diasbled students are put up with at uni they are not wanted.
my view, bye

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with anything. I'm just interested in your point of view? :smile: Do you think the high drop out rate is soley because they're 'not wanted'?

I've not once felt as though I've been 'put up with' at my university because of my mental illness.
(edited 8 years ago)
To be honest, the disability support (seems I even need spellcheck for disability :biggrin: ) team at my uni have always been more than accommodating... they've managed to get my stuff booked in fairly quickly, and have been friendly and helpful with everything... I haven't actually had a problem at all with it... Perhaps it's different for different disabilities and different unis... :dontknow:
Reply 26
Original post by Deyesy
I'm not saying I agree or disagree with anything. I'm just interested in your point of view? :smile: Do you think the high drop out rate is soley because they're 'not wanted'?

I've not once felt as though I've 'put up with' at my university because of my mental illness.

i choosing not to answer your further question. What mental illenss do you think you have?
Reply 27
Original post by Dan2194
i choosing not to answer your further question. What mental illenss do you think you have?

Not 'think'; I was diagnosed with depression nearly 4 years ago :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by Dan2194
you need to get your crap out of you , get angry and mad and then cry

I'm perfectly okay as I am :smile: Dealing with/curing/coping with my mental illness isn't as black and white as just 'getting my crap out of me' - infact I'd say I have no crap to get rid of because my life is perfectly okay but depression doesn't work like that :smile:
Original post by mobbsy91
To be honest, the disability support (seems I even need spellcheck for disability :biggrin: ) team at my uni have always been more than accommodating... they've managed to get my stuff booked in fairly quickly, and have been friendly and helpful with everything... I haven't actually had a problem at all with it... Perhaps it's different for different disabilities and different unis... :dontknow:

Same at my uni as well. The disability support team is wonderful as well and I know fellow postgraduates who work for student support to fund their own studies. I think that OP's statement about students with disabilities not being wanted at university is completely and utterly incorrect really. I do, however, wonder whether their stash of technology is the reason that they got 'only £95' towards a laptop - an amount which, with the discount on the overall price of the laptop, many students would love to receive. I think that there's a great sense of entitlement in this thread which is wrong really and I hope doesn't tar people's opinions of other students with disabilities.
Original post by toronto353
Same at my uni as well. The disability support team is wonderful as well and I know fellow postgraduates who work for student support to fund their own studies. I think that OP's statement about students with disabilities not being wanted at university is completely and utterly incorrect really. I do, however, wonder whether their stash of technology is the reason that they got 'only £95' towards a laptop - an amount which, with the discount on the overall price of the laptop, many students would love to receive. I think that there's a great sense of entitlement in this thread which is wrong really and I hope doesn't tar people's opinions of other students with disabilities.

Agreed... I was ****ing over the moon when I got my entitlement letter with what I got... The support available is generally very good I think, and whilst there may be some universities which aren't as good as others, there are plenty of options for appeals ad complaints should a university not be doing what it should be to support those with disabilities.
Original post by Dan2194
good for you!
the study helper title you have makes me feel sick i hate do gooder types. the thought of some mentor type that makes me feel sick as well

And good for you... I'm sorry you feel that it's **** that I want to help others, but that's your prerogative...
Original post by Deyesy
Not 'think'; I was diagnosed with depression nearly 4 years ago :smile:

I repped this, just feel like i need to clarify that i was repping you about the 'think' point and not about the having depression part!
Reply 32
Original post by Dan2194
in you view ,
DEpression = supressed anger.

I think you'll find this isn't the case: http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/depression/Pages/Introduction.aspx :smile:

Original post by LiquidGold
I repped this, just feel like i need to clarify that i was repping you about the 'think' point and not about the having depression part!

If a medical professional has diagnosed me; it no longer becomes 'I think'; it becomes 'I know' :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by LiquidGold

Haha, I just had to rep you for that xD Fairs :biggrin:
Reply 34
Original post by Dan2194
I not reading liks mate

depression = repressed anger

you just want attention

dont you ever get angry???

'Depression affects people in different ways and can cause a wide variety of symptoms.

They range from lasting feelings of sadness and hopelessness, to losing interest in the things you used to enjoy and feeling very tearful. Many people with depression also have symptoms of anxiety.

There can be physical symptoms too, such as feeling constantly tired, sleeping badly, having no appetite or sex drive, and complaining of various aches and pains.'

^ Taken from the website. It doesn't once mention anger ^^
Original post by Dan2194
I not reading liks mate

you just want attention

Ok, instead of thinking you know what it is, how about read it... and then if you still think it's that, I couldn't care less, because you're entitled to your opinion, but don't go round telling people that depression isn't real, and that you should just suck it up.
Original post by Dan2194
I not reading liks mate

you just want attention

How would you feel if someone said your disability was just you attention seeking? Think before you post such nonsense, especially when you want to get people on side given your predicament.
Hi everyone

We've locked this thread as it was getting a bit heated. It's absolutely not okay to discredit other people's disabilities or mental health. Please think about what you've posted before continuing to do so on TSR.

Cheers

RF

Latest