The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA English Literature - June 2016 *Official Thread*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DamnDaniel2
Hey thank you so much! Haha I am hoping for at least a B in English Lit but am aiming for an A/A*!
Just checked grade boundaries from 2013-2015 and for an A it was around 45 haha and an A* was around 6-7 marks more so yh my idea isn't that great haha :P
I just don't know how to revise for OMAM, find it so difficult lol. Right now, I've analysed Curley and his wife, Crooks and the theme racism, the theme American Dream (however need a few more quotes) but I feel like I am just doing useless revision and none of this will help me!

Same with me, I would love an A in lit, i don't care about an A*. I only want an A* in language ^-^ Oh right seems the grade boundaries weren't too harsh then but yeah still not the best thing to do (;
Uh i find it really tricky too. I find everything hard hahahaa. It's good you've analysed Curley, he might come up... and also the american dream, that's a great thing to revise >> (use a lot of Candy for that). I'm also really fearful about the exam, i get so much anxiety and i have a mock tomorrow. :eek3::nutcase: but pm me if you want, maybe we can help each other
Original post by Ella_08
Same with me, I would love an A in lit, i don't care about an A*. I only want an A* in language ^-^ Oh right seems the grade boundaries weren't too harsh then but yeah still not the best thing to do (;
Uh i find it really tricky too. I find everything hard hahahaa. It's good you've analysed Curley, he might come up... and also the american dream, that's a great thing to revise >> (use a lot of Candy for that). I'm also really fearful about the exam, i get so much anxiety and i have a mock tomorrow. :eek3::nutcase: but pm me if you want, maybe we can help each other

Good luck on your mock tomorrow! Not the best way to start the term haha however, it is going to be pretty intense now since exam is only about 1 month away and my English Lang exam is on the 3rd May which is less than a month away haha. Also aiming for an A* in Language.
The thing is with part A of OMAM you can't really revise for it since you'll be given an extract so all I am doing is going over past paper questions and learning how to answer the question well!
With part B it should be based on the themes however last year brutality came up and if I were doing the exam last year I wouldn't have known brutality was a theme which would've thrown me off haha, however luckily brutality isn't that hard because you can write about Crooks and racism, Curley's Wife and sexism, Lennie and his disability and there was no welfare state during that time etc.
I'm scared that something will come up that I'll have no idea how to answer!
Good luck on your mock tomorrow! Not the best way to start the term haha however, it is going to be pretty intense now since exam is only about 1 month away and my English Lang exam is on the 3rd May which is less than a month away haha. Also aiming for an A* in Language.
The thing is with part A of OMAM you can't really revise for it since you'll be given an extract so all I am doing is going over past paper questions and learning how to answer the question well!
With part B it should be based on the themes however last year brutality came up and if I were doing the exam last year I wouldn't have known brutality was a theme which would've thrown me off haha, however luckily brutality isn't that hard because you can write about Crooks and racism, Curley's Wife and sexism, Lennie and his disability and there was no welfare state during that time etc.
I'm scared that something will come up that I'll have no idea how to answer!

Thanks! I know, it's a crazy way to start school again.. welcome to my life. Yeah but maybe we can slow down time somehow, like if you keep going over everything efficiently time might not go so quick :tongue: It's cool you're aiming for the top in lang too. I always mess up on the extract question, thankfully there aren't as many marks for it. Btw are you doing AQA? Let's make sure we know exactly how to answer anything [; if we go over everything that could possibly come up it would be hard for that to happen. Anyway... I better get on with mock prep :/ ttyl
Original post by Ella_08
Thanks! I know, it's a crazy way to start school again.. welcome to my life. Yeah but maybe we can slow down time somehow, like if you keep going over everything efficiently time might not go so quick :tongue: It's cool you're aiming for the top in lang too. I always mess up on the extract question, thankfully there aren't as many marks for it. Btw are you doing AQA? Let's make sure we know exactly how to answer anything [; if we go over everything that could possibly come up it would be hard for that to happen. Anyway... I better get on with mock prep :/ ttyl

Haha I do AQA literature and iGCSE Cambridge Language wbu? And I would love to be able to slow down time hahaha would make my life so much easier!!
I feel fairly confident with AIC but this novella is killing my brain! Steinbeck had to do this to me argh!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ella_08
Other themes include gender, fate/destiny, strength/ weakness, fraternity :wink:

Also btw for my mock exam they gave us a question on Crooks. We'd never done him in class before so I was really unprepared for it and i got half marks for OMAM and 24/34 for AIC and still only got a B overall. So I wouldn't advise doing that if you want more than a B... just saying :smile:

How would fate/destiny tie in?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by typicalstudent1
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Steinbeck was a great believer of fate.
You could link fate with Curley's wife because in order for her to do something/achieve something she needs to do it through men and has to make herself more sexually available to them - that's her fate since she lives in a patriarchal society that's very sexist.
You could link it with Lennie and how because of his disability and how the welfare state was not introduced during the time which meant that Lennie couldn't get help and so unfortunately was born in a time where he was labelled as insane (doesn't say this in the book but this is from general research lol). His dream was to have his own farm with bunnies but his fate wouldn't allow that to happen.
You could use fate with other characters as well but this was just a brief summary! Hope this helped :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Steinbeck was a great believer of fate.
You could link fate with Curley's wife because in order for her to do something/achieve something she needs to do it through men and has to make herself more sexually available to them - that's her fate since she lives in a patriarchal society that's very sexist.
You could link it with Lennie and how because of his disability and how the welfare state was not introduced during the time which meant that Lennie couldn't get help and so unfortunately was born in a time where he was labelled as insane (doesn't say this in the book but this is from general research lol). His dream was to have his own farm with bunnies but his fate wouldn't allow that to happen.
You could use fate with other characters as well but this was just a brief summary! Hope this helped :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohhh I never thought of that! I didn't even know it was a theme :')
Thank you so much X

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am doing Lord Of The Flies, Of Mice And Men and the relationship cluster for poetry. Does anyone have any predictions, especially for Lord Of The Flies?
Ohhh I never thought of that! I didn't even know it was a theme :')
Thank you so much X

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha welcome :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's an unlikely theme to come up but it's a link to the poem's title - the best laid plans go to waste. I guess you'd talk about how the dog's death symbolises Candy's fate, the fate of George's broken dream, how C Wife died etc etc :wink:
Original post by JackWillow00
You deserve a knighthood / damehood thanks so much!

aha you're welcome, they're not the best but I hope they're useful
Reply 151
Anyone doing the short stories anthology for the aqa unit 1 English literature paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by surina16
Finally! Ahhh I'm so scared for it too like I just can't do the exam!!
(Macbeth and pride and prejudide)

Same, I hate Thomas Hardy with a passion though! There's far too many stories to remember it all!
Hi, im finding it difficult in choosing quotes for curly. Which ones are you going to remember?
Hello

I have compiled together a list of all the relationships poems and themes that have come up in all available poetry past papers. This should give us a hint as to what poems we should revise more, however, we should still revise them all as anything could come up!

Here is the list:

2015 - Manhunt - damaged relationships
OR Sister Maude - issues of trust

2014 - Ghazal - use of form and structure to present ideas
OR The Farmer's Bride - effect of endings

2013 - Sonnet 116 - ideas about love
OR Born Yesterday - hopes and wishes

Jan13- Hour - ideas about time
OR The Farmer's Bride - hopes and wishes

2012 - Quickdraw - strong feelings about another person
OR Praise Song for My Mother - language to present relationships

Poems that haven't come up:

In Paris with You, Brothers, Harmonium, Sonnet 43, To His Coy Mistress, Nettles, Born Yesterday.

One conclusion we can make from this is that it is very likely that The Farmer's Bride will not come up for a third time in 2016, which is good, because it's long and nasty
Original post by teacher's pet
Hello

I have compiled together a list of all the relationships poems and themes that have come up in all available poetry past papers. This should give us a hint as to what poems we should revise more, however, we should still revise them all as anything could come up!

Here is the list:

2015 - Manhunt - damaged relationships
OR Sister Maude - issues of trust

2014 - Ghazal - use of form and structure to present ideas
OR The Farmer's Bride - effect of endings

2013 - Sonnet 116 - ideas about love
OR Born Yesterday - hopes and wishes

Jan13- Hour - ideas about time
OR The Farmer's Bride - hopes and wishes

2012 - Quickdraw - strong feelings about another person
OR Praise Song for My Mother - language to present relationships

Poems that haven't come up:

In Paris with You, Brothers, Harmonium, Sonnet 43, To His Coy Mistress, Nettles, Born Yesterday.

One conclusion we can make from this is that it is very likely that The Farmer's Bride will not come up for a third time in 2016, which is good, because it's long and nasty

Omfg thank you so much!
Sort of relieved that farmers bride came up twice already however we never know whether it will come up this year or not! Hopefully not. Its sooo long haha.
This year I think its 'To his coy mistress' and 'In paris with you'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone have any prediction's for the Conflict Cluster? Personally, I find this to be, arguably, one of the most difficult and strenuous from all the other clusters. :angry:
Reply 157
Has anyone done the 2015 paper AQA Enlgish Lit? Which poems were in that?
Of mice and men
Conflict Cluster
Sunlight on the grass

Any ideas on how to revise Sunlight on the Grass? I'm not sure what I'm supposed to know about it. Symbolism? Word analysis?

Also how to structure English lit answers?
In 2015, for the conflict cluster:

Bayonet Charge (dk the theme) and Place in Mametz wood. It's likely they could repeat Bayonet charge despite it being last year, if you're suscribed to AQA, but highly unlikely for Mametz wood because it was recycled from the 2012 paper.

So far, I plan to do 4poems today and 4 tomorrow. Quite hectic but hey, we got over a month :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending