The Student Room Group

Cambridge IGCSE English Language (May 3rd 2016) official thread

Hello guys! I have decided to create a thread dedicated to this examination as we are only 20 days away!

60% of this exam will be banked without even starting the exam- three pieces of coursework and speaking and listening. The other 40% is the exam.

There are three questions in this exam: Question 1(20 marks), Question 2(10 marks) and Question 3(20 marks).

How are you guys feeling? If anybody needs help, feel free to post. Discuss anything related to the exam and share ideas in this thread.

Here is a link to Past papers
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzumkDfi9230Tl9iSl9JT1E5V0E&usp=drive_web

Advice on how to answer each question
https://sites.google.com/a/grange.cl...age-paper-tips
Credit goes to @metellaest for providing this resource.

If anybody has any useful websites, then feel free to message me and i will add them to the OP. Also it would be very appreciated if anybody has a link to the grade boundaries for each year.

Thanks and good luck!
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ibte10
Hello guys! I have decided to create a thread dedicated to this examination as we are only 20 days away!

60% of this exam will be banked without even starting the exam- three pieces of coursework and speaking and listening. The other 40% is the exam.

There are three questions in this exam: Question 1(20 marks), Question 2(10 marks) and Question 3(20 marks).

How are you guys feeling? If anybody needs help, feel free to post. Discuss anything related to the exam and share ideas in this thread.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzumkDfi9230Tl9iSl9JT1E5V0E&usp=drive_web

If anybody has any useful websites, then feel free to message me and i will add them to the OP. Also it would be very appreciated if anybody has a link to the grade boundaries for each year.

Thanks and good luck!

Best of luck to you too! Unfortunately, what I am taking is worth 100% of my grade - though I guess the paper you're discussing (Paper 2?) is only 50% (I'm taking Paper 3 on the Friday instead of coursework).

I found this page a couple of days ago and I thought it had some good advice: https://sites.google.com/a/grange.cl/igcse-english/language-paper-tips

Are you taking Cambridge iGCSE Literature as well?
Reply 2
Original post by metellaest
Best of luck to you too! Unfortunately, what I am taking is worth 100% of my grade - though I guess the paper you're discussing (Paper 2?) is only 50% (I'm taking Paper 3 on the Friday instead of coursework).

I found this page a couple of days ago and I thought it had some good advice: https://sites.google.com/a/grange.cl/igcse-english/language-paper-tips

Are you taking Cambridge iGCSE Literature as well?

Hello! Yes i am talking about paper 2 extended paper which consists of 50 marks. Are you doing Core? Thanks for the resource, i will add it to the OP. BTW i am doing AQA for Literature.
(edited 8 years ago)
Isn't the exam on May 5th not May 3rd? Not sure to be honest.
I think I got an A* for the 60% coursework and I'm aiming for an A* for the actual thing
My strengths are question 2 and the second part of question 3
Any tips for Question 1 and the 15 bullet point bit of question 3?
Original post by ibte10

Thanks and good luck!

Hello, I completed my IGCSE English language in November. It's a tough paper to be comletely honest ( not Trying to scare you ) Good luck and all the best for that exam :smile: the grade boundaries goes up in 10 so 90= A* and 80=A and so on ...
Reply 5
Is it true that you cannot get an a* in this exam?
Reply 6
Original post by k.m.b
Is it true that you cannot get an a* in this exam?

You can get a A* in this exam.
Reply 7
Original post by X_Hope_X
Hello, I completed my IGCSE English language in November. It's a tough paper to be comletely honest ( not Trying to scare you ) Good luck and all the best for that exam :smile: the grade boundaries goes up in 10 so 90= A* and 80=A and so on ...

What grade did you get? Is the mark that you mentioned based on total Mark in Coursework and the Exam?
My coursework mark is really high so I have no stress whatsoever for the exam, I've barely even counted it as 'start of GCSE's' I just keep thinking to myself that they start on 17th because the English one I'd be happy to do tomorrow, just doing some past papers & working on Q3 really :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by caitlinford3
My coursework mark is really high so I have no stress whatsoever for the exam, I've barely even counted it as 'start of GCSE's' I just keep thinking to myself that they start on 17th because the English one I'd be happy to do tomorrow, just doing some past papers & working on Q3 really :smile:

Same my coursework is pretty high also. I personally find Q1 the hardest out of the three questions. Q3 part A is pretty straightforward. However, in the mock exams i got no more than three marks for part B. Any advice on part B of Q3?
Original post by ibte10
Same my coursework is pretty high also. I personally find Q1 the hardest out of the three questions. Q3 part A is pretty straightforward. However, in the mock exams i got no more than three marks for part B. Any advice on part B of Q3?

I find Q3 hardest - it's the 'easiest' but yet I always seem to just get the wrong points for 3a! & for part B just definitely make sure it's in your own words, that it doesn't seem list-like & that it flows nicely :smile:
I am terrified for language........I always do better in literature :')
anyone got good techniques or tips for language?
we got a new teacher for year 11 he is awful
Original post by X_Hope_X

how much did you get? What about your friends did any get a stars
I feel like this paper is really easy to get a high gradr but it seems like im always getting an A how do u actually get an A*.
Firstly question 1 is my strong point but I guess my last paragraph is always to short so I need to practice that. Question 2 is really good also. But question 3 I dont always get the right bullet points which is weird highest mark for tht Ive gotten is 13
Can someone tell me how the grade boundaries work with the Cambridge igcse? The grade thresholds on the website doesn't make sense to me whatsoever as it states that the whole course is out of 125 marks but surely it's out of 130 marks (50 from exam, 30 from speaking and listening, 40 from coursework + 10 for reading). I know I am obviously going wrong somewhere. Also, roughly how many marks would I need to get in the exam to get an A overall? My speaking and listening is 28, coursework average mark is 38 + 8 for reading.
Original post by ibte10

Thanks and good luck!

this is helpful,thank you!
Original post by monkeyboy18000
Can someone tell me how the grade boundaries work with the Cambridge igcse? The grade thresholds on the website doesn't make sense to me whatsoever as it states that the whole course is out of 125 marks but surely it's out of 130 marks (50 from exam, 30 from speaking and listening, 40 from coursework + 10 for reading). I know I am obviously going wrong somewhere. Also, roughly how many marks would I need to get in the exam to get an A overall? My speaking and listening is 28, coursework average mark is 38 + 8 for reading.

Pretty sure reading is included w/coursework so 120 overall??
Reply 17
Original post by monkeyboy18000

I am not sure myself to be honest. Have you tried asking your teacher though? My teacher has a database where she inserts how much marks you got on your coursework pieces and speaking and listening. She then can calculate an estimate for how much marks you need in the exam to get in the exam for each grade. I am in search for the grade boundaries myself.
How is question 1 your strong point? How are you so good at it?
Original post by ellamoon_22
I feel like this paper is really easy to get a high gradr but it seems like im always getting an A how do u actually get an A*.
Firstly question 1 is my strong point but I guess my last paragraph is always to short so I need to practice that. Question 2 is really good also. But question 3 I dont always get the right bullet points which is weird highest mark for tht Ive gotten is 13
Original post by Tiara006
How is question 1 your strong point? How are you so good at it?

Question 1 is my strong point because I am a creative person in general so I like writing things and using impressive vocan and descriptive imagery etc.Dunno I actually enjoy english. Well I havent reallt like done anything to get good but I guess u culd do pastpapers which im going to do very soon. Also highlight things and translate words whilst ur reading the passage into ur own words to get ideas flowing. What r ur usual grades for this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending