The Student Room Group

Most Overrated and Underrated Musicians

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cool.nerd
Everyone except Gorillaz you mentioned is overrated?!

And overrated means more popular than their talent deserves
so subtract Drake k thanks

No i said Drake, Swift and Grande are overeated.

I am a Drake fan but i think he is too hyped up to be honest
Original post by SuperHuman98
Underrated:
Jason derulo
J Cole
Future
Imagine Dragons
Gorillaz
ZAYN
The Weekend

Overrated:
Ed Sheeran
Taylor Swift
Drake
Ariana Grande

agree with gorillaz and imagine dragons otherwise they are all overrated
Original post by Attempt
What a joke.

You clearly don't know much about Michael because he wrote most of the songs on Off the wall, Thriller, Bad and Dangerous.

Have you even looked at the tracklists? He barely wrote anything on Off The Wall and Thriller. MJ needed someone with him like Quincy to make anything decent. Whereas someone like Prince was that mogul :cool:

Original post by Cool.nerd
He's not average talent wise. What're you looking for? Pink Floyd?
Yea the record sales is sign of being overrated but still he is a legend man

He is average talent wise. We are talking about music not dancing and setting fire to your hair.
Overrated

Beyonce
Pretty much all the US American radio rappers like Meek and all them dudes with dreads
Madonna
Minaj
Idk Skrillex?
Diplo he's pissing me off now. The part in "Lean On" that everyone likes wasn't even him, it was DJ Snake
Beatles lol

Underrated

DJ Snake lol
Stormzy (he should be global by now)
MIA
FKA twigs
SBTRKT
Machel Montano

Idk too many to name for both
Reply 44
Original post by Wilfred Little
Have you even looked at the tracklists? He barely wrote anything on Off The Wall and Thriller. MJ needed someone with him like Quincy to make anything decent. Whereas someone like Prince was that mogul :cool:

I could tell that you were a prince fan.

On off the wall he wrote 4 out of 10 songs, the ones he wrote were the biggest hits on the album, On thriller he wrote 4 of the 9 songs and the most successful song on it, Billie Jean was written by him. He wrote the majority of songs for both Bad and Dangerous.
No they weren't, they were standard pop music, prominent hooks, simple structures, dance percussion and heavy emphasis on the star and not the music. And mostly not even written by him.

Second point is laughable.

Apart from his singing feats, his dancing skills were perfected to a new level, he choreographed his own dance videos and with Thriller, perfected the music videos as a sales vehicle. As an entertainer he was a one in a trillion.

His charity, his estate, USA for Africa, Collaboration with Paul... etc further elevated his popularity. Hence why he is so popular and sort of an immortalized figure.

You are just bitter his surgery changed his skin color. :u:
Original post by Blondie987
The Beatles, it's not that they don't have good music, they do but personally I don't see them as anything special

looool exactlyyyyyyy

Original post by SuperHuman98
No i said Drake, Swift and Grande are overeated.

I am a Drake fan but i think he is too hyped up to be honest

I saw what you said and I think they're all overrated especially Weekend. He is very popular for no reason, his music is vibes but there was a time when he was massively ignored for a reason till he started collabing with big names.

He is average talent wise. We are talking about music not dancing and setting fire to your hair.

So you're talking about tabloids like his eccentricity?
Lol at dancing not being relevant to talent.

You're again talking about musical talent. Like high notes and such.
I hope you know Queen and Celine Dion and pretty much every big and small name out here see Jackson as a North Star...

one last time: you might not like his music or persona but you can't deny his impact on music.

Original post by Attempt

On off the wall he wrote 4 out of 10 songs, the ones he wrote were the biggest hits on the album, On thriller he wrote 4 of the 9 songs and the most successful song on it, Billie Jean was written by him. He wrote the majority of songs for both Bad and Dangerous.

Billie Jean was about a stalker Very personal for him.
Original post by TaintedLight
Apart from his singing feats, his dancing skills were perfected to a new level, he choreographed his own dance videos and with Thriller, perfected the music videos as a sales vehicle. As an entertainer he was a one in a trillion.

His charity, his estate, USA for Africa, Collaboration with Paul... etc further elevated his popularity. Hence why he is so popular and sort of an immortalized figure.

You are just bitter his surgery changed his skin color. :u:

And you can't read. I am absolutely not disputing dancing, videos etc. We are discussing the music. You are arguing against a point that doesn't exist if you think I'm talking about his fame or celebrity.

Charity ffs :biggrin:
Original post by Attempt

Bad and Dangerous were piece of **** albums though. Coincidence?

So basically on his only two decent albums the majority of material was not written by him. Thanks for confirming.

(By the way where did you get those numbers from? Wiki says he wrote three on OTW)
Original post by Attempt
So true

:congrats:

*the weeknd
And his new pop stuff is dreadful compared to his older mixtape stuff

But tell your friends though😫
Reply 51
Bad and Dangerous were piece of **** albums though. Coincidence?

So basically on his only two decent albums the majority of material was not written by him. Thanks for confirming.

(By the way where did you get those numbers from? Wiki says he wrote three on OTW)

Bad set a record for most amount of songs simultaneously topping the charts by the same artist, unmatched for over 30 years.

Dangerous was an album filled with so many hits like Black or white, Heal the world, Jam, Remember the time, Gone too soon, I could go on forever.
Reply 52
Original post by Dopeshhonly
*the weeknd
And his new pop stuff is dreadful compared to his older mixtape stuff

But tell your friends though😫

I love King of the fall.

That song is genius.
Original post by Attempt
Bad set a record for most amount of songs simultaneously topping the charts by the same artist, unmatched for over 30 years.

You're talking about commercial success again. I'm not arguing against him being one of the most successful artists of all time. That doesn't really mean much though. The Cheeky Girls got to number one once. I am a big Bowie fan, his most commercially successful album was Let's Dance, but it wasn't his best or even close to it, it was actually one of his worst.

Dangerous was an album filled with so many hits like Black or white, Heal the world, Jam, Remember the time, Gone too soon, I could go on forever.

There is some shite in that list of tracks tbh :biggrin: BOW/RTT are alright.
Original post by Attempt
I love King of the fall.

That song is genius.

Tell your friends was legit song of the year last year it's so beautiful

From Kanye's genius flip of that "can't stop loving you" sample
To illangelos perfectly placed drums and Mike Dean's beautiful guitar solo

Oh I forgot that little vocodered bridge by Kanye as well, that's straight up incredible

Phew
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by RF_PineMarten
There are probably loads of underrated musicians out there I'm not even aware of, but for me I feel like Kodaline are a bit underrated. They've been in the charts a bit and stuff, but they have a lot of good songs that have gone largely unnoticed (in this country anyway; they're apparently bigger in Ireland).

Not sure for overrated.

Underrated and underappreciated are different, while they may not be well known they can stiill be overrated
And you can't read. I am absolutely not disputing dancing, videos etc. We are discussing the music. You are arguing against a point that doesn't exist if you think I'm talking about his fame or celebrity.

Charity ffs :biggrin:

Ahaa i see your point :colonhash:

While I don't dispute some of his songs were written by someone else, it doesn't really undermine his talent as a song writer (Man in the Mirror for example)

and fyi his philanthropic exploits are legit
(edited 8 years ago)
Overrated: Pretty much everyone - including artists I like - due to how popularity snowballs.

Underrated - Ed Wynne
Original post by BiologyA2Student
Underrated and underappreciated are different, while they may not be well known they can stiill be overrated

yepp
Original post by TaintedLight
Ahaa i see your point :colonhash:

While I don't dispute some of his songs were written by someone else, it doesn't really undermine his talent as a song writer (Man in the Mirror for example)

and fyi his philanthropic exploits are legit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_in_the_Mirror

"Man in the Mirror" is a song made popular by Michael Jackson and written by Glen Ballard and Siedah Garrett.

Written and composed by Siedah Garrett and Glen Ballard

Produced by Quincy Jones

Vocal arrangement by Andrae Crouch

Rhythm arrangement by Glen Ballard and Quincy Jones

Synthesizer arrangement by Glen Ballard, Quincy Jones and Jerry Hey

Just saying.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest