The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shannonbeth
Hello all, I'm starting my school direct primary in September and I am just starting to look at getting things like folders in ready to start. For the teaching standards, I've seen some people say a folder for each one and other have it all in one folder. Obviously it will vary according to provider, but what would the general advice be for this? One folder per standard, or one big folder to put it all in? Also, as I'm primary, am I right in thinking that I'll also need one folder per subject to put plans etc. in as part of my evidence?

I agree with JoannaMilano. It depends on how much freedom you will have to do things the way you want. Some course providers have very specific requirements regarding the organisation of folders. I'm on a School Direct course, but the university is very much in charge rather than the school, so just like the regular PGCE students, we have to have two folders for each placement: a planning folder and an evidence folder. These then have to be organised according to the contents page we are provided for each folder.

You definitely will not need a planning folder for each subject, though. If it's up to you to decide how to organise the folders, set up a planning folder for each placement and divide it according to subject. I have to organise mine chronologically, which isn't particularly helpful as I forget which week I did certain lessons! Even for evidence, one folder could be enough. I have to maintain a portfolio of my best evidence, which is submitted at the end of the year for assessment. Everything else stays in the individual placement evidence folders.

You could buy a handful of folders and then just wait and see how things pan out once you have started, but occasionally buying isn't even necessary. My university leaves out a box full of unwanted folders for people to help themselves to, which is quite nice.
Original post by Pierson
I agree with JoannaMilano. It depends on how much freedom you will have to do things the way you want. Some course providers have very specific requirements regarding the organisation of folders. I'm on a School Direct course, but the university is very much in charge rather than the school, so just like the regular PGCE students, we have to have two folders for each placement: a planning folder and an evidence folder. These then have to be organised according to the contents page we are provided for each folder.

You definitely will not need a planning folder for each subject, though. If it's up to you to decide how to organise the folders, set up a planning folder for each placement and divide it according to subject. I have to organise mine chronologically, which isn't particularly helpful as I forget which week I did certain lessons! Even for evidence, one folder could be enough. I have to maintain a portfolio of my best evidence, which is submitted at the end of the year for assessment. Everything else stays in the individual placement evidence folders.

You could buy a handful of folders and then just wait and see how things pan out once you have started, but occasionally buying isn't even necessary. My university leaves out a box full of unwanted folders for people to help themselves to, which is quite nice.

Original post by JoannaMilano
Wait until you get to uni, no point getting things now. Providers are so different that you'll never guess what you need.

For example, we do our standards all online. One table that lists evidence for each standards and where you can find it. We do not have a physical folder solely for standards, nevermind one each.

For first placement I had a lever arch and a ringbinder. For second placement I have two lever arches and a ringbinder. For lecture notes i had five ringbinders (Maths, English, Professional Studies, Science, Other Subjects). So that's 7 ringbinders and 3 lever arches.

I'm primary and no way you'd ever need a separate folder for each subject's lesson plans. All my lesson plans from first placement are in one lever arch and it's perhaps half full at most. You'll only teach each foundation subject once or twice per week after all.

Ok, thank you both! I have just been reading through blogs and TES etc so I was just taking it from there, I am an eager beaver/stationery lover so I just need to chill I think!

I'll get a few folders in and see how it goes, I have an induction with my SCITT in July so I will ask then.

I need some advise here!

The job I got for September is an independent school. I was reviewing the contract and there's no mention about the induction period in it.

Before I make any demands to the school I want to make sure that I fully understand the process of gaining full QTS.

According to the Independent Schools' Teacher Induction Panel (ISTIP), "Each year some 1200 NQTs (newly qualified teachers) begin induction in our schools.Over 80% of them are still there three years later, often at the same school. Before embarking on their induction year, they acquired Qualified Teacher Status (QTS)."

On the other hand the DfE says"All qualified teachers who are employed in a relevant school in England must, by law, have completed an induction period satisfactorily"

So I thought that QTS was gained only after the NQT year, provided that you passed the induction period. Does this mean that the induction period is in fact optional? Would I get full QTS status with or without induction on my first year?

I'm confused
My understanding was that we gain QTS the summer we qualify (our uni told us our exam board convenes to provisionally grant it in July and it's made official in September).

Most of the job ads I've been looking at have said "QTS essential (or obtained by September)". And these are jobs open to NQTS so that seems to confirm we gain QTS upon course completion.

The NQT induction is separate from qualifying and I'm not sure how it would work moving from private to state. Independent schools have all their own rules so I guess they wouldn't have to offer an NQT induction if they didn't want to.

But then- and I don't have any source for this, it's just a guess- you might find if you transferred to the state sector later, you'd still have to complete NQT induction? Possibly at an M1 pay level?

Schools can fast track you through the induction period these days, so if you moved from private to state with enough experience, I'd assume you'd only have the bare minimum NQT induction assuming your practice was good.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by abel.suisse
I need some advise here!

The job I got for September is an independent school. I was reviewing the contract and there's no mention about the induction period in it.

Before I make any demands to the school I want to make sure that I fully understand the process of gaining full QTS.

According to the Independent Schools' Teacher Induction Panel (ISTIP), "Each year some 1200 NQTs (newly qualified teachers) begin induction in our schools.Over 80% of them are still there three years later, often at the same school. Before embarking on their induction year, they acquired Qualified Teacher Status (QTS)."

On the other hand the DfE says"All qualified teachers who are employed in a relevant school in England must, by law, have completed an induction period satisfactorily"

So I thought that QTS was gained only after the NQT year, provided that you passed the induction period. Does this mean that the induction period is in fact optional? Would I get full QTS status with or without induction on my first year?

I'm confused

Original post by JoannaMilano
My understanding was that we gain QTS the summer we qualify (our uni told us our exam board convenes to provisionally grant it in July and it's made official in September).

Most of the job ads I've been looking at have said "QTS essential (or obtained by September)". And these are jobs open to NQTS so that seems to confirm we gain QTS upon course completion.

The NQT induction is separate from qualifying and I'm not sure how it would work moving from private to state. Independent schools have all their own rules so I guess they wouldn't have to offer an NQT induction if they didn't want to.

But then- and I don't have any source for this, it's just a guess- you might find if you transferred to the state sector later, you'd still have to complete NQT induction? Possibly at an M1 pay level?

Schools can fast track you through the induction period these days, so if you moved from private to state with enough experience, I'd assume you'd only have the bare minimum NQT induction assuming your practice was good.

You get QTS upon successful completion of your PGCE course or placements etc, you never lose this. You don't lose it if you don't complete your NQT within 50 years let alone 5.

The downside is that if you don't do it, you can no longer do supply teaching five years after qualifying, which is always a nice option to have.

The likelihood is that I will never complete mine...ever! This is due to me deciding to teach in FE now I've done my PGCE, and a lot of FE colleges don't offer NQT years. But I will always have QTS.
Original post by Airfairy
You get QTS upon successful completion of your PGCE course or placements etc, you never lose this. You don't lose it if you don't complete your NQT within 50 years let alone 5.

The downside is that if you don't do it, you can no longer do supply teaching five years after qualifying, which is always a nice option to have.

The likelihood is that I will never complete mine...ever! This is due to me deciding to teach in FE now I've done my PGCE, and a lot of FE colleges don't offer NQT years. But I will always have QTS.

That's great to know!!

To be honest I'd rather avoid doing the induction year, that would spare me from further observations and paperwork that IMHO does not compensate for the 10% reduction in the timetable. However, I thought there were massive disadvantages with that, most specifically being unable to be a fully qualified teacher.

I was not too worried about being unable to teach in state schools in the future, especially with the current plan to turn all schools into academies.

I suppose I won't say anything under these circumstances

Thanks!
That's great to know!!

To be honest I'd rather avoid doing the induction year, that would spare me from further observations and paperwork that IMHO does not compensate for the 10% reduction in the timetable. However, I thought there were massive disadvantages with that, most specifically being unable to be a fully qualified teacher.

I was not too worried about being unable to teach in state schools in the future, especially with the current plan to turn all schools into academies.

Thanks!

It's worth asking anyway. I guess it's comparable to automatic vs manual car licences in a way. You have more freedom and options if you complete it. If you have a job offer you really like it's probably not worth declining for that, especially since you hope to work in private. But if they can offer it it's a positive.

Regarding paperwork, it's much much more manageable compared to the PGCE so I wouldn't let that put you off. It's just about 6 short obs and 6 action plans for the year, plus keeping a small folder of teaching standards evidencw. You should get simple, easily achievable targets with clear ways to reach them and actually it's really helpful to keep you reflecting and learning new things :smile: I'd say it only generates a couple of extra hours work a month.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kpwxx
It's worth asking anyway. I guess it's comparable to automatic vs manual car licences in a way. You have more freedom and options if you complete it. If you have a job offer you really like it's probably not worth declining for that, especially since you hope to work in private. But if they can offer it it's a positive.

Regarding paperwork, it's much much more manageable compared to the PGCE so I wouldn't let that put you off. It's just about 6 short obs and 6 action plans for the year, plus keeping a small folder of teaching standards evidencw. You should get simple, easily achievable targets with clear ways to reach them and actually it's really helpful to keep you reflecting and learning new things :smile: I'd say it only generates a couple of extra hours work a month.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We don't even have to complete a folder. Just observation, targets and then a tiny evaluation before starting the cycle again. Repeat until 6 observations are done and then we're signed off.

It all seems oddly school dependent.
That's great to know!!

Thanks!

The NQT year varies in workload from school to school. I would say I've spent less than 5 hours in total doing things I wouldn't otherwise do - I've had two pieces of paperwork to fill out and haven't needed a folder, or lesson plans. Over the course of the year I am observed six times, which is nothing really. Don't let that put you off of doing the job - lots of schools will just treat you as a regular teacher on a slightly reduced timetable.
Original post by Rachel147
I have found myself in a similar situation. For some reason some teachers seem to give a lot of criticism as feedback rather than helpful advice or constructive criticism. Often it's the teacher trying to show that they are in charge and throw their weight around a bit.

I've had some difficulties with a teacher than never observed me but continued to tell everyone that I wasn't improving. On the rare occasion that I was observed (she only showed up for university observations) she would rip my lesson apart even though I got good feedback from my uni.

My advice is to persevere as the majority of the course is over. We have one term left and everyone seems happier in the summer anyway! Don't let a bad school / tutor / teacher get you down. If I would've let my mentor bother me I would have left before Christmas. I stuck with it because I love the job and the thought of leaving her behind at the end of the course is what kept me going!!!! :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! sorry for the late reply, I haven't been very well lately.

I'm sorry you had such a difficult time yourself :frown: I'm glad that you are happy in your job now! Hopefully I will find a job in a nice school too if I manage to get through this.

It's really hard and I just feel like I can't get anything right anymore. I feel like I'm being bullied but no one will do anything about it.I felt like I had to make my mentor and the university aware of it because it's really affected my confidence but no one seems to believe me. Things are even worse since I mentioned it and I honestly don't know how I can get through this.
Original post by ParadoxSocks
Definitely take hold of the situation and ask for more focussed guidance. Fix one or two problems at a time and ask for very specific useful advice or at least the information to tell you where to find that help.

As an NQT I still receive frequent targets but I always make sure that it's something that's clearly achievable in a yes/no kinda way. My last one was that I could focus on questioning a little further so we set targets for bouncing questions around the room, reading a book and observing another teacher. My questioning is now one of my strongest skills now. So get them to tell you what you need to improve, and what they would recommend to get that stronger. Observing other teachers is an absolute must!

That's what I've tried to do. I will have to ask them for more focuses guidance but it's difficult because they don't really seem to have the time to help me.

I will have to see if I can observe more other teachers. I don't have any say when it comes to targets, I will have to work on the ones I'm given, which is fine but I think they should be clearer. They will usefully ask if I feel that I achieved them but I don't have much confidence so I normally just agree with whatever they say (even if their judgement seems a little bit harsh at times).
Original post by ParadoxSocks
We don't even have to complete a folder. Just observation, targets and then a tiny evaluation before starting the cycle again. Repeat until 6 observations are done and then we're signed off.

It all seems oddly school dependent.

Thinking back I think the folder may have been a more personal thing. It just helped me to tick off the list of which standards I needed to work on :smile: and it was a nice resource for myself to draw on to make an interview portfolio.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's great to know!!

Thanks!

Like others have said, the NQT isn't like a PGCE year all over again haha. I mean, if I had a choice then I'd do it. I want to do it just because it's official. But from asking around apparently it's fairly common in FE to never do it, and I have no intention whatsoever of going back to secondary so I guess it's not the worst thing for me.
Original post by kpwxx
Thinking back I think the folder may have been a more personal thing. It just helped me to tick off the list of which standards I needed to work on :smile: and it was a nice resource for myself to draw on to make an interview portfolio.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wish we'd been told to do something similar. It'd have really helped when I have to remember how far I've come.
Hi everyone!
It's been such a long time since I last posted - people weren't kidding when they said doing a PGCE will mean you have literally no time.
Anyway it's gotten to that time of year where I'm trying to secure a job for September. I have an interview on Tuesday and I was just wondering if anyone has any tips or advice to offer?
I have to do a 5-minute presentation to the governors on 'Why I'm Unique' (struggling here!), a 20-minutes maths lesson with a Reception class, a short written task and the interview itself. Sigh...
Original post by xjosielr
Hi everyone!
It's been such a long time since I last posted - people weren't kidding when they said doing a PGCE will mean you have literally no time.
Anyway it's gotten to that time of year where I'm trying to secure a job for September. I have an interview on Tuesday and I was just wondering if anyone has any tips or advice to offer?
I have to do a 5-minute presentation to the governors on 'Why I'm Unique' (struggling here!), a 20-minutes maths lesson with a Reception class, a short written task and the interview itself. Sigh...

Not sure about the presentation (what an odd task!) but I would say to be yourself as much as possible (within reason). If you're relaxed and comfortable you'll be more confident. I'd imagine you need to think about the job specification and how you meet it (in terms of your unique experiences and skills) but maybe with a different spin on it.

For the lesson, I would say:
-Keep it simple (you've only got 20 minutes) but make sure you show progress. Pick one thing you want pupils to be able to do by the end of the lesson, and think of a plenary that will demonstrate that they can do it.
-Have a back-up plan/optional activities which can be added in or cut out as timings allow. I always wrote on my plan how I would do it differently in a full 1-hour lesson and interviewers really liked this.
-It doesn't matter if it doesn't go perfectly (you don't know the kids so it's hard to plan for them properly) - the point is to show that you know how to plan and are reflective. The follow-up conversation about the lesson you taught is just as important as the lesson itself, so be honest about what worked, what didn't work, and what you'd do differently. Schools won't expect you to be perfect, they want you to be someone who can take on board feedback and who is willing to learn.
Urgh that presentation sounds awful. It'd probably make me reconsider going unless i loved the school because it's so not my thing and says something about the school. Even as an interview question discussion, I find it challenging nevermind a whole 5 minute talking at people!

20 minutes is quite a nice time for a reception maths lesson, considering their attention spans. Much more realistic than 'a 20 minute lesson for year 4 on descriptive writing' which is frustrating! For my interview I found they cared more about building relationships and how you talk to the children than actual subject knowledge or even lesson planning. They commented in feedback that they were surprised there was so much content! So I'd focus on that as much as lesson planning.
(edited 8 years ago)
After your lesson, write a quick evaluation. Literally what went well, how you would improve it. Gives you something to discuss and shows you as a proactive, reflective practitioner :smile:
Hi everyone! I have an interview in two days I am so nervous about. I have to do a 20 minute lesson (literally no guidelines besides that they're at ks3). I also have to do a presentation on myself, and the interview itself, as well as literacy/numeracy tests, but I'm mostly super lost on the lesson itself. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated!
Had my first child lose their tooth in a lesson, complete with updates on the state of the bleeding from the sink every two seconds. The joys of key stage one! :top:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending