The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP1 Thread - 20th May, 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LelouchViRuge
Anyone want to have a go at these?

Meh, might as well do some easy maths. Getting a bit frustrated by the problem I'm currently on.

Question 1

Spoiler

Question 2

Spoiler

Question 3

Spoiler

Bonus

Spoiler

Original post by Zacken

Sweet, those were not actually mod signs lol. They were [ .... ]

The second question was actually STEP 1. They have a lot of nice parabola questions which are easily accessible to people without C3/C4 knowledge :biggrin:

The second question was actually STEP 1. They have a lot of nice parabola questions which are easily accessible to people without C3/C4 knowledge :biggrin:

Yeah, I know. STEP I, Q2, 2005, right? :lol:
Original post by Zacken
Yeah, I know. STEP I, Q2, 2005, right? :lol:

Did you just remember that on the spot? o.O

I'm guessing the first time you met that question, she made it a day you'd never forget?
Did you just remember that on the spot? o.O

I'm guessing the first time you met that question, she made it a day you'd never forget?

Nah, I seem to remember all the questions I've done. :lol: Each STEP question has that distinct 'flavour' that sticks. If you want some more accessible STEP I questions, try these:

STEP I, 2012, Q4
STEP I, 2009, Q8
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
It's not on spec for the UK syllabus since you don't need to know how to turn it about any given angle.

However, the matrix (cosθsinθsinθcosθ)\begin{pmatrix} \cos \theta & -\sin \theta \\ \sin\theta & \cos\theta \end{pmatrix} is the matrix which rotates any matrix through an angle θ\theta about O. You'd use this matrix to find Q\mathbf{Q}.

Reply 126
@LelouchViRuge
have you finished learning the content for the FP1 one exam?
Original post by Acrux
@LelouchViRuge
have you finished learning the content for the FP1 one exam?

Yup, finished it about a week or two ago :tongue:

Wbu bud?
Reply 128
Yup, finished it about a week or two ago :tongue:

Wbu bud?

That's Brilliant
Unfortunately i'm about halfway through should i be worried
Have you Completed all your other modules
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Acrux
That's Brilliant
Unfortunately i'm about halfway through should i be worried
Have you Completed all your other modules

Lol, nope, I still have 3 modules to cover. I started taking A levels seriously and started working around early March.

If you are not in my position, I'd say you are doing fine.
Reply 130

how do you get 2n(n+1) ?
is there a rule i'm missing?
what do you do when you get n instead of r in brackets?
Original post by Yua

how do you get 2n(n+1) ?
is there a rule i'm missing?
what do you do when you get n instead of r in brackets?

Consider when r=0 r = 0 then you have 2n+1 2n+1 but you also sum up 2n+1 2n+1 from r=1 r = 1 to n n , so you sum up (2n+1) (2n+1)(n+1) (n+1) I asked this question earlier and Zacken answered.
Original post by NotNotBatman
Consider when r=0 r = 0 then you have 2n+1 2n+1 but you also sum up 2n+1 2n+1 from r=1 r = 1 to n n , so you sum up (2n+1) (2n+1)(n+1) (n+1) I asked this question earlier and Zacken answered.

I've also answered this on the first couple of posts on this thread. :lol: Pretty popular question.
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
I've also answered this on the first couple of posts on this thread. :lol: Pretty popular question.

Oh yeah, I remember repping that, and it was a pretty popular question in my FM class last week. :biggrin: I don't recall seeing any questions of that type in the textbook and It's only been in an R paper.
Oh yeah, I remember repping that, and it was a pretty popular question in my FM class last week. :biggrin: I don't recall seeing any questions of that type in the textbook and It's only been in an R paper.

So make sure that you work through the R papers (and the appropriate questions on the IAL papers).
Original post by tiny hobbit
So make sure that you work through the R papers (and the appropriate questions on the IAL papers).

Definitely, I'm going to do an IAL paper today in fact.
Definitely, I'm going to do an IAL paper today in fact.

Leave out the question on each F1 paper about alpha and beta.
Original post by tiny hobbit
Leave out the question on each F1 paper about alpha and beta.

This was actually the only way my teacher has taught it, although I do know how to use other methods, so it should be fine.
This was actually the only way my teacher has taught it, although I do know how to use other methods, so it should be fine.

Has taught what? Are you doing IAL or "ordinary" A level?
I thought the edexcel FP1 book teaches Alpha and Beta way to work out the quadratic equation when given two complex roots?
Or are you guys talking about something else
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending