The Student Room Group

Youtuber Tobuscus accused of rape

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SophieSmall
I always find it telling how the people who often say things like "Innocent until proven guilty" (which is something I agree with before anyone says anything) and gets annoyed at people forming a lynch mob against those accused of rape. Also tend to be the people who immediately jump to the conclusion that the girl is a "liar" or "doing it for attention" or that "if it was true she would have gone to court".

People like that are as bad as the people who internet lynch mob people accused of rape.

Truth is, not a single one of us have a clue whether rape did or did not happen. And chances are we never will know.

So making this statement that you agree with is telling... of what exactly?

You're not making any sense.

Original post by Optimum_
That's the problem, she has made it so public that I for one don't believe a word. If she was telling the truth, surely the first thing would be to go to the police? Get a lawyer? Not make such a huge accusation that could destroy him.

Unless she went to the police and they ignored her for whatever reason, then she has done the right thing. But I don't think that has happened, so that's that.

The question is, apart from some text messages that prove absolutely nothing, what other evidence does she have?
He said he dated her 'a few years ago', seems like a long time. So I my guess is, not much evidence (of course I could be wrong).

There is always the possibility that she's telling the truth, but knows she can't put the evidence together to prove it. In my view she shouldn't be making these accusations public in that case, but it is possible.
Reply 41
Update: DMs are proven to be real

https://twitter.com/KEEMSTAR/status/721141824010788864

However, still dated 14th November 2014, so unlikely to be related.
I always find it telling how the people who often say things like "Innocent until proven guilty" (which is something I agree with before anyone says anything) and gets annoyed at people forming a lynch mob against those accused of rape. Also tend to be the people who immediately jump to the conclusion that the girl is a "liar" or "doing it for attention" or that "if it was true she would have gone to court".

People like that are as bad as the people who internet lynch mob people accused of rape.

Truth is, not a single one of us have a clue whether rape did or did not happen. And chances are we never will know.

And we also know the person making the accusations are stupid; if it really happened there is the thing called the police, they should not be thinking 18 months later " I can make some money and get a load of attention off of it ", and then on top of that there is also the whole opening themselves up to legal issues.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TimmonaPortella

There is always the possibility that she's telling the truth, but knows she can't put the evidence together to prove it. In my view she shouldn't be making these accusations public in that case, but it is possible.

I guess that's another problem, if she can't prove it, it just looks like a butthurt fan that wants attention. However she could very well be telling the truth and this is the only thing left to do (since a text message won't do much alone in court).

I hope the truth comes out either way.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
So making this statement that you agree with is telling... of what exactly?

You're not making any sense.

I think you misread.

I'm talking about people who always say "innocent until proven guilty" when talking about the one accused of rape. But will then go on to call the one accusing a liar or attention seeking.

It's hypocritical, that is what is telling.
(edited 7 years ago)
I think you misread.

I'm talking about people who always say "innocent until proven guilty" when talking about the one accused of rape. But will then go on to call the one accusing a liar or attention seeking.

I think you miswrote. But yes, I agree with what you're saying here.

Original post by Optimum_
I guess that's another problem, if she can't prove it, it just looks like a butthurt fan that wants attention. However she could very well be telling the truth and this is the only thing left to do (since a text message won't do much alone in court).

I hope the truth comes out either way.

Yep, same here.
I think you misread.

It is not hypocritical to judge a person based on their story and come up with a conclusion. She has not been accused of committing an illegal act..yet. The idea of being innocent until proven guilty it put upon the alleged criminal, not on the alleged victim.
Original post by garfeeled
As an update April has released screenshots of a conversation from afterwards

image.jpeg
Attachment not found

On top of that a fellow youtuber has come out and said something similar happened to her as well

http://aprilefff.tumblr.com/post/142675308225/my-friend-kate-katers17

Original post by Mochassassin
I saw these! I'm still not sure what to think. D:

Isn't it possible to send yourself a text on another phone and manipulate the time and date settings?
At this point it just seems a case of he-said-she-said.

And she said it on Tumblr. A lot of things can be and are said on Tumblr and almost all of it is empty bs.

I don't know either of them so I can't really say who's telling the truth or not. But with the accusations being Tumblr drama, they're not going to come to anything (unless someone else decides to have a go at Tobuscus and bring charges).

Most of all I could care less about Tobuscus, but I'm worried this will create a wave of crap rippling outwards across Youtube, and someone is going to make bs allegations against Markiplier or something, amongst other Youtubers.

Also as a final observation, it's annoying because false accusations just make life harder for genuine victims, it's really the most classless thing someone can do, show some respect for real victims, Tumblrinas.

Anyway maybe Tobuscus is a rapist, maybe not. until these claims reach a court of law we'll never know.
Original post by Novascope
It's nuts how many YouTubers are in situations like this these days.

With success comes responsibility.
Original post by Novascope
It's nuts how many YouTubers are in situations like this these days.

What is nuts is how many people in general are in these situations or worse, but you only really hear about the Youtubers because they are in the public eye.
In fact one of my friends was in court this week on a rape charge where the prosecution provided no evidence.
Original post by a noble chance
Isn't it possible to send yourself a text on another phone and manipulate the time and date settings?

Yes that is true. And it is perfectly possible that this is an organised effort by the two accusers to create a false story. But I don't see that as being particularly likely.

Quick Reply