The Student Room Group

What are my chances of admission to Stanford or Berkeley?

I am currently in year 10 in the UK and on track for GCSE grades: 4 A*s, 4 As and 4 Bs. If I can gain 4 AS Levels at A*,A,A,A, 3 A2 Levels at A,A,B and a SAT score of 1450+/1600 what would my chances of admission be to Stanford or Berkeley moreover, in the case of these grades being sub par, I would be grateful for any advice in order to improve my chances over the next few years or suggestions on alternative US universities. FYI, Currently I'm thinking of studying Economics, Business, Media or Design
Thank you in advance:smile:

Scroll to see replies

If I am being honest, they are quite slim due to the competitiveness of international applicants.
Original post by alldayniqqa
If I am being honest, they are quite slim due to the competitiveness of international applicants.

Okay, thank you for your response. Do you have any idea of alternative choices of university?
Original post by BKStudent123
Okay, thank you for your response. Do you have any idea of alternative choices of university?

Now obviously oxbridge, along with the other 'Top 10' UK unis such as imperial collage, warwick, durham, st andrews etc etc are all good. Stanford is around the same rep as Oxbridge from what i can tell :smile: American unis are very fierce, only around 4% get in (you have competition from around the world there)
Reply 4
I am currently in year 10 in the UK and on track for GCSE grades: 4 A*s, 4 As and 4 Bs. If I can gain 4 AS Levels at A*,A,A,A, 3 A2 Levels at A,A,B and a SAT score of 1450+/1600 what would my chances of admission be to Stanford or Berkeley moreover, in the case of these grades being sub par, I would be grateful for any advice in order to improve my chances over the next few years or suggestions on alternative US universities. FYI, Currently I'm thinking of studying Economics, Business, Media or Design

Why do you want to apply to US unis? And how will you fund your studies in America?
Original post by jneill
Why do you want to apply to US unis? And how will you fund your studies in America?

I have already lived in the US and I prefer the lifestyle. Also, I would like to start a career in the states. Regarding funding, I don't know exactly how I will fund my studies in the states but I will look into it myself. I would guess along the lines of a university loan or asking for help from parents. My main query is whether I would be good enough and if not, what my alternative choices would be.
Original post by The-Spartan
Now obviously oxbridge, along with the other 'Top 10' UK unis such as imperial collage, warwick, durham, st andrews etc etc are all good. Stanford is around the same rep as Oxbridge from what i can tell :smile: American unis are very fierce, only around 4% get in (you have competition from around the world there)

Thank you for your input but I really would like to study in the US as the transition to a job in the US would be significantly higher and the lifestyle is so much better.
Reply 7
I have already lived in the US and I prefer the lifestyle. Also, I would like to start a career in the states. Regarding funding, I don't know exactly how I will fund my studies in the states but I will look into it myself. I would guess along the lines of a university loan or asking for help from parents. My main query is whether I would be good enough and if not, what my alternative choices would be.

Stanford and UCB are among the very most selective. You can certainly apply - but be prepared for disappointment... and there's literally 1,000s of universities in America - so plenty of alternatives!

Have a look at resources like
http://www.fulbright.org.uk
and TSR's very own:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=440030
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2160183
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=227

They are really picky universities most likely chances are to end up in rejection, but remember there are many great universities in the US
Original post by zXcodeXz
They are really picky universities most likely chances are to end up in rejection, but remember there are many great universities in the US

Ok, thank you for your guidance. Could you mention any of the great universities in the US with international reputation that would I would be more likely to be accepted into?

Also, will the 4 Bs at GCSE be harmful to my aspirations even if my A-Level results are all A*-A and I take part in numerous extracurricular activities?
Original post by jneill
Stanford and UCB are among the very most selective. You can certainly apply - but be prepared for disappointment... and there's literally 1,000s of universities in America - so plenty of alternatives!

Have a look at resources like
http://www.fulbright.org.uk
and TSR's very own:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=440030
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2160183
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=227

Thank you for your insight. What would you say I would need to do to significantly improve my chances of admission? I've read articles stating the significance of competitions such as the US Math Olympiad etc but I doubt residing in the UK will enable me to enter these competitions. I do already take part in extracurricular activities.
Reply 11
Thank you for your insight. What would you say I would need to do to significantly improve my chances of admission? I've read articles stating the significance of competitions such as the US Math Olympiad etc but I doubt residing in the UK will enable me to enter these competitions. I do already take part in extracurricular activities.

You can do UKMT and BMO - same thing...
https://www.ukmt.org.uk/individual-competitions/british-mathematical-olympiad/

Thank you, I have done the UKMT Junior(Gold)and Intermediate(Silver but I'm doing it next year also and aiming for at least Gold). What would you say I would need to achieve in the UKMT challenges to be noticed by my top choice universities?
Ok, thank you for your guidance. Could you mention any of the great universities in the US with international reputation that would I would be more likely to be accepted into?

Also, will the 4 Bs at GCSE be harmful to my aspirations even if my A-Level results are all A*-A and I take part in numerous extracurricular activities?

Try going on google because I can't recommend one which you might not like and try looking at their entry requirements and what they want
Reply 14
Thank you, I have done the UKMT Junior(Gold)and Intermediate(Silver but I'm doing it next year also and aiming for at least Gold). What would you say I would need to achieve in the UKMT challenges to be noticed by my top choice universities?

No idea, but the higher the better as with all things. BMO1 would be good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
No idea, but the higher the better as with all things. BMO1 would be good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Qualifying for BMO1 isn't really significant, I don't think. You need to do very well in BMO1, preferably amazingly in BMO2 as well for it to be noticed.

Spoiler

Reply 16
Original post by Student403
Qualifying for BMO1 isn't really significant, I don't think. You need to do very well in BMO1, preferably amazingly in BMO2 as well for it to be noticed.

Spoiler

Yes I can believe that. Certainly needs more than "just" UKMT Gold...
Original post by jneill
Yes I can believe that. Certainly needs more than "just" UKMT Gold...

I said the same thing to my friends and they thought I was being cocky :lol: These US applications really are so much work!

The SAT of 1450/1600 would be fine

I don't think you can get A* at AS level

Also AAB might well be too low for places like those :/

Its good that your thinking about this now in yr 10 but honestly the tuition fees are extremely high in the US compared to the UK and a degree from a top uni in the UK such as oxbridge, Imperial, UCL, Warwick, LSE etc will enable you to study abroad and save you from being in a huge amount of debt. You also have to pay fees to apply and its overall a daunting process.

Don't wanna scare you lol but you won't be missing out on a lot if you stay in England compared to the US.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending