The Student Room Group

Jobs at 16s???

So, I am in going to finish my GCSEs in the next couple of months, I want to have a job during the holiday, but I dont know what to do. So, if you have a suggestions could you write it down, and could you tell me how much did you get paid at 16BTW I'm a male so could you tell me suitable jobs related to guys.
I'd look in shops, family owned businesses are usually good..

As for pay, minimum wage is just under £4 an hour...anything more than that is a bonus, my first job i got paid £3.74
Reply 2
I'm 17 and I just got a part time weekend retail assistant job at primark, the hours are 2:30-6:30 on Saturday and 1:00-5:00 on Sunday. I have my induction next week and have a few questions. I know I can just phone up and ask or ask at the induction but, I don't want to be awkward or sound stupid. - the uniform is all black and the sheet I was given in the interview said black trousers, would it be ok if I wore black jeans? I don't own any formal suit trousers and the jeans I'd wear are skinny jeans and would be clean so could look smart?- does anyone know how easy it will be for me to change shifts or have days off for holiday and uni open days etc? - where do I go on my first day once I have arrived and know where I'm working for that shift? and do I just leave when my shift is over? - I've also been told I need to give two references is that just the names of people who could give references or two references already written? - do you have to tie your hair up or just back from your face?- I don't know anyone working at the primark store where I'll be working, is it easy to fit in and make friends?Any help will be much appreciated thank you
Original post by ARK_REVISES
So, I am in going to finish my GCSEs in the next couple of months, I want to have a job during the holiday, but I dont know what to do. So, if you have a suggestions could you write it down, and could you tell me how much did you get paid at 16BTW I'm a male so could you tell me suitable jobs related to guys.

Mcdonalds
Reply 4
Original post by clucyg
I'm 17 and I just got a part time weekend retail assistant job at primark, the hours are 2:30-6:30 on Saturday and 1:00-5:00 on Sunday. I have my induction next week and have a few questions. I know I can just phone up and ask or ask at the induction but, I don't want to be awkward or sound stupid. - the uniform is all black and the sheet I was given in the interview said black trousers, would it be ok if I wore black jeans? I don't own any formal suit trousers and the jeans I'd wear are skinny jeans and would be clean so could look smart?- does anyone know how easy it will be for me to change shifts or have days off for holiday and uni open days etc? - where do I go on my first day once I have arrived and know where I'm working for that shift? and do I just leave when my shift is over? - I've also been told I need to give two references is that just the names of people who could give references or two references already written? - do you have to tie your hair up or just back from your face?- I don't know anyone working at the primark store where I'll be working, is it easy to fit in and make friends?Any help will be much appreciated thank you

its an actual job, no, skinny jeans will not do. you NEED trousers. your employed and have to follow their rules.
they will probably let you until you get trousers but u cant just fob them off and expect to be aloud to wear jeans.
why would you want to change shifts when you have not even started yet? you dont come across as very greatful tbh.
if u need a day of for holiday/uni ask ur manager in advanced
Original post by clucyg
I the uniform is all black and the sheet I was given in the interview said black trousers, would it be ok if I wore black jeans? I don't own any formal suit trousers and the jeans I'd wear are skinny jeans and would be clean so could look smart?

Jeans will probably not be acceptable, you'll have to source some tailored, non-denim trousers. Check what other staff are wearing in the store.

Original post by clucyg
does anyone know how easy it will be for me to change shifts or have days off for holiday and uni open days etc? - where do I go on my first day once I have arrived and know where I'm working for that shift? and do I just leave when my shift is over?

Only the store will be able to answer those questions

Original post by clucyg
I've also been told I need to give two references is that just the names of people who could give references or two references already written?

They will just want the contact details of 2 people. They will contact them directly and ask for the reference.

Original post by clucyg
do you have to tie your hair up or just back from your face?

Again, only the store will be able to answer, they will cover rules like this during the induction
Original post by Emma:-)
Mcdonalds

how much do they pay, what do u get to work as, is it worth it??
Original post by clucyg

- you can get cheap trousers from asda
- it depends on primark the company and how they manage time off. A month in advance i am guessing? You ask your manager :tongue:
- your supervisor/manager usually tells you what to do
- at work there is a "clock in" system, where you login when you arrive and "clock out" when you leave. Thats how you get paid and proves your attendance. Ask this on the induction day - they will tell you anyway
- give two names and contact details (not sure) if you are able to get two written references then take them with you.
- you can leave your hair out - whatever you feel comfortable with
- making friends at work varies - some people are rude and some are lovely. Hope you enjoy working! X
Original post by ARK_REVISES
how much do they pay, what do u get to work as, is it worth it??

The pay depends on the store- e.g. some are franchised, company owned etc. But for 16/17 year olds its usually at least £4 an hour, maybe slightly more.
Work/jobs wise, you will either be working in the kitchen, on the counter/drive thru, or a bit of both, depending on where they put you, but you will usually be trained in several areas of the restaurant.
You are allowed a free meal on your break as well. Whether you are allowed medium or large, and whether you re allowed a free desert as well depends on the store, but all stores let you have a free meal on your break.
A lot of mcdonalds stores seem to be taking on at the moment.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Not sure if I'm too late but if you are into sport or activities then being a Lifeguard or Swim teacher is good. (Don't know if it's your thing or not though.) To be a lifeguard you just have to take a bit of training and you can take a weekend swim teacher course afterwards. It pays well but it depends if it's your thing or not.

You can start the training before you're sixteen but you can't take the exam/course till you turn 16.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending