The Student Room Group

What actually qualifies as an A level?

Hey people,

Im currently taking my A levels and am in the final year. Instead of uni, I managed to get a place on an intergrated ATPL course (Air Transport Pilots Licence) so basically for anyone who doesn't know, it's basically a course to become a qualified airline pilot.

This course only requires 5 GCSE's at A*-C, and A levels are not a requirement, however, to get a job in the aviation world, it seems that having 2 A levels will make it a whole lot easier to find work. There was no specification on what grades, so I assume it doesn't matter if they're low grades.

So what I am wondering is, what is the lowest grade I can get and still say I have an A level? I'm not exactly aiming to get a bad grade, but It'll give me peace of mind when revising and doing exams.

Reply 1
Original post by jayis98
Hey people,

Im currently taking my A levels and am in the final year. Instead of uni, I managed to get a place on an intergrated ATPL course (Air Transport Pilots Licence) so basically for anyone who doesn't know, it's basically a course to become a qualified airline pilot.

This course only requires 5 GCSE's at A*-C, and A levels are not a requirement, however, to get a job in the aviation world, it seems that having 2 A levels will make it a whole lot easier to find work. There was no specification on what grades, so I assume it doesn't matter if they're low grades.

So what I am wondering is, what is the lowest grade I can get and still say I have an A level? I'm not exactly aiming to get a bad grade, but It'll give me peace of mind when revising and doing exams.

E is technically the lowest grade (as U is ungraded) but I don't know if there's anything like at GCSE where below a C is still technically a grade (i.e. D, E and F grades) but it's not considered a "pass"

If I were you I'd try to get Cs at the very least to be safe
Original post by jayis98
Hey people,

Yes and when you are up against someone else with better A Levels - guess who will get the job. You need to do your very best and not settle for mediocre
Reply 3
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Yes and when you are up against someone else with better A Levels - guess who will get the job. You need to do your very best and not settle for mediocre

It's actually your ATPL exam results they will compare, not so much A levels.
I'm pretty sure an E is technically a pass at A level but no one is going to think anything of you if you have two Es, it might even look worse than not getting them at all as it will look like you're either thick or didn't try. Whatever the minimum requirements are for anything assume that better qualified people will always get a job before you so aim for the best you can do.
Original post by jayis98
It's actually your ATPL exam results they will compare, not so much A levels.

Look I am just saying try your very best.

I got 3 E grades a A level and it had dogged me ever since

Quick Reply