The Student Room Group

Immigrants aren't the problem

I've seen a lot of posts about how immigrants are taking our jobs and how the British end up unemployed. This is wrong on so many levels mostly because people refuse to look on both sides of the argument.

It's clear that these jobs are always on low pay jobs that don't require a qualification. I haven't seen an immigrant with a medical degree ever come from another country and become a doctor in a British hospital. I have friends who moved here and who's parents have qualifications, however find it very difficult to get a job in their field and end up taking low paid jobs.

The jobs that these immigrants are taking are low paid jobs, so the problem isn't the immigrants, it's the lack of education in this country.

Additionally, immigrants tend to make jobs. One of my friends immigrated here and set up a business which ended up employing hundreds of people. Immigrants can be job creators.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kabbage
I've seen a lot of posts about how immigrants are taking our jobs and how the British end up unemployed. This is wrong on so many levels mostly because people refuse to look on both sides of the argument.

It's clear that these jobs are always on low pay jobs that don't require a qualification. I haven't seen an immigrant with a medical degree ever come from another country and become a doctor in a British hospital. I have friends who moved here and who's parents have qualifications, however find it very difficult to get a job in their field and end up taking low paid jobs.

The jobs that these immigrants are taking are low paid jobs, so the problem isn't the immigrants, it's the lack of education in this country.

Additionally, immigrants tend to make jobs. One of my friends immigrated here and set up a business which ended up employing hundreds of people. Immigrants can be job creators.

Firstly, nice facts.

Secondly, what I have highlighted in bold just shows us how uneducated you are on the issue.
Original post by balanced
Firstly, nice facts.

Secondly, what I have highlighted in bold just shows us how uneducated you are on the issue.

OP hasn't been particularly bright here but he's right, immigrants are used as scapegoats.
Funny how you get people complaining about them stealing jobs when you have people with less than 5 GCSE's.
Original post by balanced
Firstly, nice facts.

I did think it was funny too, he doesn't even understand that none skilled job wages are being kept low precisely because they are filled with imported labour. The poster also doesn't understand those jobs are precisely the sort of jobs our uneducated people used to do when they had no other option.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Funny how people always seem to blame other poor people for their own poverty, rather than those who stockpile wealth and property to a degree far beyond what they could ever hope to spend in a dozen lifetimes, let alone one.
OP is wrong. However, as somebody anti mass immigration, I have to admit it has been a little bit overplayed, especially considering we are not really suffering too badly from the migrant crisis which is swamping the rest of europe.
Original post by kabbage

I agree that we shouldn't blame immigrants for 'taking' our jobs. However obviously if huge numbers of low skilled workers enter the country, large corporations can get away with selling off cheap labor to them, driving down wages for those previously at a similar wage level and occupation. And as well as this, I think we are a pretty densely populated country already and need to ensure that our public services aren't crippled which does appear to be happening in the NHS (waiting times in A&E have got ridiculously high and it failed to reach its target of success waiting times last year) but immigration isn't the only cause for this, underfunding health service trusts and paperwork overload also count. So yeah, I'd say immigration is a problem, but the blame should be put on the system allowing it and not the people who are often simply looking for a better life. I do think we need to control it permanently though.
Original post by paul514
I did think it was funny too, he doesn't even understand that none skilled job wages are being kept low precisely because they are filled with imported labour. The poster also doesn't understand those jobs are precisely the sort of jobs our uneducated people used to do when they had no other option.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The idea that huge corporations would suddbemt start paying their staff far more without immigration is laughable. They will always pay as little as they can and there will always be Brits poor enough that they are willing to take what they can get.

Otherwise surely in areas of low immigration like Norfolk wages would be really high but they're not...
Original post by Bornblue
The idea that huge corporations would suddbemt start paying their staff far more without immigration is laughable. They will always pay as little as they can and there will always be Brits poor enough that they are willing to take what they can get.

Otherwise surely in areas of low immigration like Norfolk wages would be really high but they're not...

When roles aren't filled through lack of interest remuneration goes up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'll never understand how someone can "steal" a job.

How can someone steal something someone didn't have in the first place.

It's like me saying "hey, that guy took my latest video game, I never went to buy it but he took it anyway.".
Original post by paul514
When roles aren't filled through lack of interest remuneration goes up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So how come in Norfolk, which has virtually no immigration, are wages not significantly higher than average or even higher?

People will always need a job and many people will always be desparate, corporations will continue to pay them as little as possible and given we are cutting benefits, poor people will take such jobs. The idea that wages will rise is a total fallacy and you know that.
Original post by Longshot4000
I'll never understand how someone can "steal" a job.

How can someone steal something someone didn't have in the first place.

It's like me saying "hey, that guy took my latest video game, I never went to buy it but he took it anyway.".

Exactly. Where I grew up an Indian family set up a convenient shop on a previosuly unused plot of land. They were then accused of taking other people's jobs.
So how come in Norfolk, which has virtually no immigration, are wages not significantly higher than average or even higher?

People will always need a job and many people will always be desparate, corporations will continue to pay them as little as possible and given we are cutting benefits, poor people will take such jobs. The idea that wages will rise is a total fallacy and you know that.

I'm sorry I don't know much about the economy of Norfolk lol.

I do know about supply and demand though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
I did think it was funny too, he doesn't even understand that none skilled job wages are being kept low precisely because they are filled with imported labour.

The poster also doesn't understand those jobs are precisely the sort of jobs our uneducated people use to do when they had no other option.

Is that the immigrants fault or the employers? Surely companies have an ethical responsibility to their employers? This can be for practical as well as ethical reasons: e.g happier,more productive, loyal staff etc.

Your analysis is also flawed as it doesn't factor in stuff like automation; the reason they’re using cheap labour is because it’s cheaper than getting automation- if they had to pay higher wages they would automate- Bill Gates has written extensively on this.

Good luck abolishing the welfare state. :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kabbage
II haven't seen an immigrant with a medical degree ever come from another country and become a doctor in a British hospital.

This is a self-discrediting statement. :lol:
Original post by Davij038
Is that the immigrants fault or the employers? Surely companies have an ethical responsibility to their employers? This can be for practical as well as ethical reasons: e.g happier,more productive, loyal staff etc.

Your analysis is also flawed as it doesn't factor in stuff like automation; the reason they’re using cheap labour is because it’s cheaper than getting automation- if they had to pay higher wages they would automate- Bill Gates has written extensively on this.

Good luck abolishing the welfare state. :wink:

Well there's a man going seriously off topic

Posted from TSR Mobile
I haven't seen any posts recently about migrants taking jobs. I have, however, seen plenty about the migrant rape crisis, which is a problem.
Exactly. Where I grew up an Indian family set up a convenient shop on a previosuly unused plot of land. They were then accused of taking other people's jobs.

Dey took err lernd.
Original post by paul514
Well there's a man going seriously off topic

Posted from TSR Mobile

Although I have that tendency, i don't think i did so then.

You asserted that immigration kept wages down, when actually the duty of that is the employer.

If you do not believe the employer has any ethical obligations you should also consider other factors (Such as automation) which will effect how low skill businesses factor in when employing staff.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending