The Student Room Group

Political correctness gone mad is much better than no political correctness at all

This website is a student forum and so in theory should have some of the most educated people in the country, yet the degree of racism, sexism, and hatred based on religion and sexuality on here is off the charts.

Obviously they are not as likely to express these opinions as freely without the veil of anonymity, but going based on what i've seen on here if this is what people really think then I'm glad we have OTT political correctness.

The world is better for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nah I enjoy my views being challenged. It makes me think twice about why I'm standing up for the values that I do.
Original post by Espada Zero
This website is a student forum and so in theory should have some of the most educated people in the country, yet the degree of racism, sexism, and hatred based on religion and sexuality on here is off the charts.

Obviously they are not as likely to express these opinions as freely without the veil of anonymity, but going based on what i've seen on here if this is what people really think then I'm glad we have OTT political correctness.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Stopping people from saying what's on their mind only makes them more angry and turns more people to violence, it's best to allow everyone freedom of speech to say whatever they want.
I disagree. You're arguing in favour of limiting free speech, therefore you are a fascist.

Now kindly f off.
nope!
Original post by richpanda
I disagree. You're arguing in favour of limiting free speech, therefore you are a fascist.

Now kindly f off.

Without wanting to cause needless problems, that isn't a great reason. They could as an example simply take up the position of being of fascist and then continue to make their arguments.
Original post by tavtavtav
Without wanting to cause needless problems, that isn't a great reason. They could as an example simply take up the position of being of fascist and then continue to make their arguments.

I was attempting to use OP's extremely childish and flawed logic by making a similarly brash statement. I suspect they wouldn't have noticed the irony.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Political correctness is a skid mark on society. If you truly support it then you are advocating for the social silencing of people with different opinions. And if you truly believe that the people on this forum truly represents students and their opinions, with no exaggeration or margin for trolling, no click bait or anything of that nature, then you truly have no idea.
If you don't like what is said on this website, don't visit it.
Original post by richpanda
I was attempting to use OP's extremely childish and flawed logic by making a similarly brash statement. I suspect they wouldn't have noticed the irony.

Ah, that's fair enough then.
To the extent that the stereotypical 'overly offended' individuals often pointed to on the internet actually have an influence in society today, I'd agree. I'd much rather live with today's social mores and customs than those of the '50s.

Edit: I also think the term 'political correctness' is difficult to pin down exactly, and so those who are socially reactionary will see it mainly in a negative light, whilst those who are socially progressive will see it mainly in a positive light - it's not a neutral term, so it's a very difficult debate to have from the get go.
(edited 8 years ago)
Continuing the philosophy of hatred

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd prefer no political correctness. Perhaps in this scenario people will learn how to cope with taking offence for a change, and respect each other's freedoms.

Either that, or a world where people are policed and punished for anything they say which may 'upset' certain favoured groups. We don't need any more control from the state, thank you very much.

People use 'political correctness' as a tool to stiffle dissenting views all to often. Can't have any humour or dangerous ideas challenging anyone -- it must be purged!
I don't agree with racism being illegal but at the same time, I think that society should encourage a degree of PC. All these people who completely disagree with political correctness may start to agree with it a bit if they where in late 60's Britain and they seen one of the Tory slogans "If you want a ****** for a neighbour, vote Liberal or Labour"

Posted from TSR Mobile

1: the majority of the "smartest" don't bother with going on a website to debate about political stuff.
2: welcome to the internet m8.
3: should watch some of the live comedy performances doing stuff on political correctness.
4: OTT PC is ********.
(edited 8 years ago)
Agreed. I mean it's the year 1984 for god's sake!
I don't see the problem in letting people say what they want. No one is asking you to like what people say, just ignore it! Trying to ban pernicious beliefs is like trying to ban homosexuality, it will exist whether you like it or not so you can either try and suppress it which causes misery and violence, or learn to live with it.

Obviously the mods don't agree. My last post lauding how awesome freedom of speech is was deleted by mods :redface:
Political correctness is one of the most dangerous weapons this generation will face in the next 50-100 years.
If you're triggered by what someone else is saying - suck it up. Don't advocate for fascism because that's what it is.
Original post by kieran12321LFC
I don't agree with racism being illegal but at the same time, I think that society should encourage a degree of PC. All these people who completely disagree with political correctness may start to agree with it a bit if they where in late 60's Britain and they seen one of the Tory slogans "If you want a ****** for a neighbour, vote Liberal or Labour"

I disagree, the fact that they could do that means you would know the Tories were rascist. Creating a mad PC world were people can't, would mean you would be voting in the same people pretending not to be rascist.
I agree.
Better to be honest. Some things need to be said, and the shutting down of debate which PC is all about makes everything worse.

Take the hottest button in the PC world right now - Islam. We need to be able to criticise the excesses of the ideology because it is an existential threat to liberal democracy.

I haven't noticed that being politically correct about Jihadist (and even conservative) Islam has made it less of threat. Have you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending