The Student Room Group

A* English essay vocabulary

I just wondered if anyone had any A* words or phrases that you could throw into an english essay to give it a top grade tone :*)

Ive come across "microcosm" (e.g. of mice and men), "archetype" and "symbol" but are there any others?

Thank you so much!!
Reply 1
Use sparknotes for of mice and men as they have the best notes and very high level usage of words.
Patriarchal, misogynistic
marginalisation
Reply 4
Original post by sulaimanali
Patriarchal, misogynistic

These are amazing thanks!!! Do you just know them haha?
Reply 5
Original post by Tinka99
Use sparknotes for of mice and men as they have the best notes and very high level usage of words.

Ill check it out, thanks!!
Original post by Do it Right
These are amazing thanks!!! Do you just know them haha?

Well..I got taught them but yeah I know them :smile:
Colloquial, satirical, anaphora, caesura. Don't know if any of those help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
zoomorphism (OMAM)
Reply 9
Original post by chrlhyms
zoomorphism (OMAM)

In a sentence, could you write something like 'Steinbeck uses zoomorphism to describe Lenny...'?
Original post by Kaiylar
In a sentence, could you write something like 'Steinbeck uses zoomorphism to describe Lenny...'?

yeah or more imbedded like 'zoomorphism is distributed across the entire novella when Steinbeck signifies the animalistic features of Lennie'
I just wondered if anyone had any A* words or phrases that you could throw into an english essay to give it a top grade tone :*)

Ive come across "microcosm" (e.g. of mice and men), "archetype" and "symbol" but are there any others?

Thank you so much!!

I always manage to throw in 'emblematic' in every essay. 'Eurocentric' or 'ethnocentric' might be a good ones to use when talking about perspectives. 'Autonomy' would be especially useful for Of Mice and Men (sexism and ableism - Lennie and Curly's Wife?) or for any text with a social hierarchy.

Be careful though - don't thesaurusize every word you write!
Original post by chrlhyms
yeah or more imbedded like 'zoomorphism is distributed across the entire novella when Steinbeck signifies the animalistic features of Lennie'

Okay, thanks.
One easy 'show off' word to put into your essay (don't use obsessively), is "connotes", it's a synonym for 'suggests' or 'portrays', or 'shows', and you can use it basically everytime you analyse a quote.
What does microcosm and archetype mean?

Thank you so much!!
Original post by Tiara006
What does microcosm and archetype mean?

Type either 'define <word>', '<word> definition', 'what does <word> mean' or '<word> meaning' into Google whenever you'd like to know the meaning of a word.

Definition of microcosm:

Definition of archetype:

(edited 7 years ago)
What about A Level language? Lexis, graphology, discourse, phonology, deixis etc :P
I used Memrise to expand my vocabulary for my English exams, it's pretty cool and I found it to be a decent way of learning new words in a more interesting way than using flashcards. Any of the Advanced English or Academic English courses will be helpful to you. Also when you read, make sure if there are any words you're unsure of that you find a definition, write them down and try to use them over the next few days.

http://www.memrise.com/courses/english/english/
Thanks.

Original post by Kaiylar
Type either 'define <word>', '<word> definition', 'what does <word> mean' or '<word> meaning' into Google whenever you'd like to know the meaning of a word.

Definition of microcosm:

Definition of archetype:

Quick Reply

Latest