The Student Room Group

Which university to go to to study geography?

Hello, just wondering which of these universities people would think is best to study geography at? Also what are your opinions of the university as a whole?

University of Hull
University of York
University of Chester
University of Sheffield

Thanks in advance

Scroll to see replies

I've applied for York, Sheffield and Hull and after going around all the universities I really like the geography course at Hull however after researching the York course it too looks really good. Hull is in a great location for geography as the Holderness Coast isnt far away and you have the River Humber too! I have no information on Chester though. But I hate to say it, most people won't consider Hull university due to it being (obviously) in Hull and Hull has a bad reputation which is a shame as it's a lovely campus. But it's up to you what uni you think is best as you'll be spending 3 years there!
Reply 2
Original post by crumpethead
Hello, just wondering which of these universities people would think is best to study geography at? Also what are your opinions of the university as a whole?

University of Hull
University of York
University of Chester
University of Sheffield

Thanks in advance

The most prestigious one of course. What other choice is there?!.....in this case, that's York.
Original post by Whatitdo
The most prestigious one of course. What other choice is there?!.....in this case, that's York.

Sheffield can also be seen as prestigious, it is a part of the Russell Group :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Lauraaa898
Sheffield can also be seen as prestigious, it is a part of the Russell Group :smile:

York is a tad better overall, but in this case there isnt much separating Sheffield and York, and Sheffield do have the better Geography course according to this:

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?o=Entry+Standards&s=Geography+%26+Environmental+Science

Yes, I would say Sheffield would be the best choice here.
Reply 5
I've applied for York, Sheffield and Hull and after going around all the universities I really like the geography course at Hull however after researching the York course it too looks really good. Hull is in a great location for geography as the Holderness Coast isnt far away and you have the River Humber too! I have no information on Chester though. But I hate to say it, most people won't consider Hull university due to it being (obviously) in Hull and Hull has a bad reputation which is a shame as it's a lovely campus. But it's up to you what uni you think is best as you'll be spending 3 years there!

Thanks for the reply, yeah I come from Hull and all the hate that the city gets is unfair, I do like the place so that's not a problem. Only thing is I know it already so not sure if it would be better to go somewhere new, would be staying in halls though. Its probably either there or Sheffield as I didn't enjoy York much and Chester doesn't seem that respected. Not sure if I should just firm Hull though as they gave me an u/c offer haha, do you know which one you're most likely to go to?
Thanks for the reply, yeah I come from Hull and all the hate that the city gets is unfair, I do like the place so that's not a problem. Only thing is I know it already so not sure if it would be better to go somewhere new, would be staying in halls though. Its probably either there or Sheffield as I didn't enjoy York much and Chester doesn't seem that respected. Not sure if I should just firm Hull though as they gave me an u/c offer haha, do you know which one you're most likely to go to?

Tbh I loved Hull, the tutors were great, the geography course looked great and the campus so was nice. I don't live far away from Hull either. Sheffield, was okay, but I wasn't too keen on the campus really. And York, I have mixed feelings about, I like York but then I don't know haha. It just annoys me how much of a bad reputation Hull gets but the university is in a nice area. And wow, that's great you got an unconditional! They only offered me an unconditional if I put them as my firm choice haha!
Hello,

Chloe a current Environment student at York has a blog about her course at York and the University here:
http://blogs.york.ac.uk/student-voices/category/study/environment/

You can also ask her questions online as well by leaving a comment.

Mark
Reply 8
Tbh I loved Hull, the tutors were great, the geography course looked great and the campus so was nice. I don't live far away from Hull either. Sheffield, was okay, but I wasn't too keen on the campus really. And York, I have mixed feelings about, I like York but then I don't know haha. It just annoys me how much of a bad reputation Hull gets but the university is in a nice area. And wow, that's great you got an unconditional! They only offered me an unconditional if I put them as my firm choice haha!

Yeah that was the same for me in that it was only unconditional if I put Hull as my firm choice, well done to you too! Yeah quite similar to me overall, York I liked the campus but not the course so much. I haven't visited Sheffield but if I enjoy Hull when I go there I might just firm that to be honest. Yeah I agree it is a pretty nice area really, have you had a look at the accommodation for Hull? I'm not sure if I would rather stay on campus or at the lawns yet if I go there.
Yeah that was the same for me in that it was only unconditional if I put Hull as my firm choice, well done to you too! Yeah quite similar to me overall, York I liked the campus but not the course so much. I haven't visited Sheffield but if I enjoy Hull when I go there I might just firm that to be honest. Yeah I agree it is a pretty nice area really, have you had a look at the accommodation for Hull? I'm not sure if I would rather stay on campus or at the lawns yet if I go there.

I was exactly the same with York! It's a nice area but the course didn't seem as good as say Hull were offering. And Sheffield, the course is good, but the campus is in the city centre so it's v busy. And yeah we looked at accommodation. I like the look of the new campus from what I've seen on their website. Taylor court was also nice but I didn't really like the lawns that much haha, well what we looked around anyway.
I was exactly the same with York! It's a nice area but the course didn't seem as good as say Hull were offering. And Sheffield, the course is good, but the campus is in the city centre so it's v busy. And yeah we looked at accommodation. I like the look of the new campus from what I've seen on their website. Taylor court was also nice but I didn't really like the lawns that much haha, well what we looked around anyway.

Haha I know what you mean about York. Seemed alright but just can't see myself going there really. Need to see what Sheffield is like. Sounds good yeah I wasn't sure about the Lawns at first with it being off campus but I just need to see all the accommadation when I go to have a look around. The new accommadation does seem nice but might be too expensive to be honest, too difficult to decide haha
Haha I know what you mean about York. Seemed alright but just can't see myself going there really. Need to see what Sheffield is like. Sounds good yeah I wasn't sure about the Lawns at first with it being off campus but I just need to see all the accommadation when I go to have a look around. The new accommadation does seem nice but might be too expensive to be honest, too difficult to decide haha

The new accommodation is around £5,100 for a standard room and £5,200 for a deluxe room. The accommodation at Sheffield is around £5,300-400 I think, so it's much cheaper at Hull compared to Sheffield. Also when I looked around the accommodation at Sheffield I personally didn't think it was that nice haha. And that was also another reason I didn't like the Lawns, it seemed far away from main campus but it looked sociable area, as you have that building there (idk what it's called haha)
does anyone have an opinion on the University of Manchester?

University of Hull
University of York
University of Chester
University of Sheffield

Thanks in advance

Hi! I'm a student at Chester uni studying Geography and Natural Hazard Management. The main reason I chose Chester is because no other UK universities do Natural Hazard Management with geography. But Chester also do IDS (International Development Studies) with Geography. In easier terms to understand, this means that you can tailor your course to what you enjoy. Whether it is human or physical geography you can choose your own modules and also coursework that you do within those modules based on what you like. I know that York and Sheffield may be more prestigious universities. But the Geography department in Chester is very well known for it's involved staff. They genuinely care about the students, unlike other universities. They make themselves available 7 days a week for you if you need, within reason. I'm not trying to sell the uni by any means, and I didn't expect the department to be this interested in my success but the staff are great.

There are also a lot of talks from external speakers and guest lecturers, this means that you can widen your network of people in the field. I have added many on linked in and am talking to a few about work based learning opportunities. At Chester Work Based learning is compulsory, this means that employability is enhanced fully. There is a lot of support to help you find the Work based learning and it's nothing to worry about, it's an opportunity to enhance your employability!

I'm really enjoying it, but the biggest advice I can give you is to ensure that you look at the course content of the courses. In Chester you're offered trips to Norway, Naples and Wales for free too! Really have a look in depth, but only you can decide.

I hope this helps! Please message me if you have any questions

James

University of Hull
University of York
University of Chester
University of Sheffield

Thanks in advance

Hi!
I go to the University of Sheffield and I would thoroughly recommend it. I don't know if you're interested, but there's a course called Quantitative Social Sciences, in which you can pick geography as a pathway of study. It's a great course and it's interdisciplinary with a lot of freedom as well, so if you're set on geography you can just focus on that and pick from a wide range of Bsc/BA modules, or you can take some other subjects alongside geography. You also get to do modules working with data and doing research on something you're interested in (so you could focus on geography topics).
If you have any questions just let me know, if not, good luck making your decision! :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by juliabennett
does anyone have an opinion on the University of Manchester?

I'm a third year in geography at Manchester. The course has been good. I do physical geog and geoinformatics modules mostly. There is plenty of choice, and the course is pretty rigorous. Third year is tough.

Of the choices you listed I'd go for Sheffield, but Manchester is as good as any of those listed too.
Original post by PaulACP
I'm a third year in geography at Manchester. The course has been good. I do physical geog and geoinformatics modules mostly. There is plenty of choice, and the course is pretty rigorous. Third year is tough.

Of the choices you listed I'd go for Sheffield, but Manchester is as good as any of those listed too.

Original post by IzzySheffield
Hi!
I go to the University of Sheffield and I would thoroughly recommend it. I don't know if you're interested, but there's a course called Quantitative Social Sciences, in which you can pick geography as a pathway of study. It's a great course and it's interdisciplinary with a lot of freedom as well, so if you're set on geography you can just focus on that and pick from a wide range of Bsc/BA modules, or you can take some other subjects alongside geography. You also get to do modules working with data and doing research on something you're interested in (so you could focus on geography topics).
If you have any questions just let me know, if not, good luck making your decision! :smile:

What are you guys doing with your geography degrees career wise after uni?
What are you guys doing with your geography degrees career wise after uni?

Hiya, I'm leaning towards social policy/politics more than geography, but I'm probably more interested in doing something with statistics at the end of my course. That's another good thing about Sheffield though, there's lots of employment talks on so you get the opportunity to talk to prospective employers and ask them questions and find out what interests you most in terms of a career. Also, your personal tutor/department will be able to help you set up work experience in the holidays if you're interested in that. Do you have any ideas what you would like to do? :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 18
I'm probably going to try to find work in the Geographical Information Science industry. Analysing satellite data, developing GIS tools and such.
Original post by IzzySheffield
Hiya, I'm leaning towards social policy/politics more than geography, but I'm probably more interested in doing something with statistics at the end of my course. That's another good thing about Sheffield though, there's lots of employment talks on so you get the opportunity to talk to prospective employers and ask them questions and find out what interests you most in terms of a career. Also, your personal tutor/department will be able to help you set up work experience in the holidays if you're interested in that. Do you have any ideas what you would like to do? :smile:

Seems helpful! I don't know what I want to do and that's why I'm questioning uni as I don't want to get a degree, get into so much debt to then end up not using my degree when working

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending