The Student Room Group

Further maths for economics degree?

How important would have you say further maths is for an economics degree for the likes of Southampton/Manchester/York/Nottingham?

My A level choices are:
Maths
Economics
History (haven't done it at GCSE and it looks interesting)
Gov and Politics
Reply 1
Original post by Rajive
How important would have you say further maths is for an economics degree for the likes of Southampton/Manchester/York/Nottingham?

My A level choices are:
Maths
Economics
History (haven't done it at GCSE and it looks interesting)
Gov and Politics

Depends.

Some courses can be really mathematical and others can be more history/politics focused.

Having FM up to AS is probably your best bet.

I take Maths, Politics, History and Biology this year and will be dropping Biology for AS FM next year. Perhaps you could do a similar thing?
Reply 2
Original post by jamestg
Depends.

Some courses can be really mathematical and others can be more history/politics focused.

Having FM up to AS is probably your best bet.

I take Maths, Politics, History and Biology this year and will be dropping Biology for AS FM next year. Perhaps you could do a similar thing?

I am still contemplating whether to do that in year 13...
Just not sure if I will be able to do that though, I would rather I be a mathematical course coz you can always get help with maths.
Reply 3
Original post by Rajive
I am still contemplating whether to do that in year 13...
Just not sure if I will be able to do that though, I would rather I be a mathematical course coz you can always get help with maths.

You'll work it out by the time you get half way through Y12.
Reply 4
What universities are you looking to apply to?
Reply 5
Original post by jamestg
You'll work it out by the time you get half way through Y12.

Reply 6
Original post by Rajive

Cambridge, St Andrews, Exeter, Bath, Surrey and Reading!

A good mix I think. Just hope I get the AS results this year to make a competitive application!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending