The Student Room Group

irregular periods - stressing me out massively

So I'm 17 years old and I started when I was around 14 i think? My periods have never been regular and it makes life such a hassle because I end up going away on holiday and boom red waterfall for a week, it makes things difficult because I don't like wearing tampons (I find them pretty uncomfortable idk I just prefer pads)

My last period was about 3 weeks ago but before that it was December time and before that it was october. I went to the doctors about 3 weeks ago and I had a blood test for it (all come back normal thankfully) but I'm too scared to go back because I suffer with social anxiety and it makes me sick thinking of it, especially as my doctor is a guy and idk I generally never open up to anyone not even my parents. What do i do and why aren't they regular? Is it something to do with how stressed I am, I constantly live in a state of stress.
Reply 1
Original post by Zozaaaa
So I'm 17 years old and I started when I was around 14 i think? My periods have never been regular and it makes life such a hassle because I end up going away on holiday and boom red waterfall for a week, it makes things difficult because I don't like wearing tampons (I find them pretty uncomfortable idk I just prefer pads)

My last period was about 3 weeks ago but before that it was December time and before that it was october. I went to the doctors about 3 weeks ago and I had a blood test for it (all come back normal thankfully) but I'm too scared to go back because I suffer with social anxiety and it makes me sick thinking of it, especially as my doctor is a guy and idk I generally never open up to anyone not even my parents. What do i do and why aren't they regular? Is it something to do with how stressed I am, I constantly live in a state of stress.

You should be able to request to see a female doctor.

I've had my period for 9 years now and it has always been irregular. Stressing over it probably isn't helping, unfortunately.
Reply 2
Original post by Airmed
You should be able to request to see a female doctor.

I've had my period for 9 years now and it has always been irregular. Stressing over it probably isn't helping, unfortunately.

I find it near impossible to ring up my doctors and ask though it makes me want to cry when I talk to them, and I kinda figured that but the more I realise I'm stressing over it the more it makes me stressed.

Thanks for the help :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Zozaaaa
I find it near impossible to ring up my doctors and ask though it makes me want to cry when I talk to them, and I kinda figured that but the more I realise I'm stressing over it the more it makes me stressed.

Thanks for the help :smile:

Ask your mum to do it for you, perhaps? I'm sure she'd understand - or even your dad. I don't have SA but I hate talking to people anyway as it is. Have you considered going on the pill or the implant, just to help regularise them? It helps for some people.
Reply 4
Original post by Airmed
Ask your mum to do it for you, perhaps? I'm sure she'd understand - or even your dad. I don't have SA but I hate talking to people anyway as it is. Have you considered going on the pill or the implant, just to help regularise them? It helps for some people.

I don't tell my mum things because of my anxiety, I prefer just talking with my friends about it than my family, SA is a bitch I wouldn't wish it upon anyone. I have considered going on the pill but don't I need a prescription from the doctor to get it for free? I don't fancy paying for meds atm I have a lot on my plate with things and money
Reply 5
Original post by Zozaaaa
I don't tell my mum things because of my anxiety, I prefer just talking with my friends about it than my family, SA is a bitch I wouldn't wish it upon anyone. I have considered going on the pill but don't I need a prescription from the doctor to get it for free? I don't fancy paying for meds atm I have a lot on my plate with things and money

You would need a prescription to get it free, yeah. Are you getting any help for SA?
Reply 6
Original post by Airmed
You would need a prescription to get it free, yeah. Are you getting any help for SA?

I did back in september, but then I was stable for a while with that and my depression but in the last month or so when exams are ramping up again shits just hitting the fan 1000x worse than before
Reply 7
Original post by Zozaaaa
I did back in september, but then I was stable for a while with that and my depression but in the last month or so when exams are ramping up again shits just hitting the fan 1000x worse than before

Maybe talk to your school and say that exam pressure is getting to you? See if you can get any help for it?
First of all, celebrate that your blood test results are normal.

Then make an appointment to see a nurse: she'll have a bit more time than a Dr, and you can discuss this in full with her. And would you take a female family member with you, or a girlfriend? And make sure to keep a note of the frequency of your menstruation, as it all builds a fuller picture of the issue.
Reply 9
Original post by DrSocSciences
First of all, celebrate that your blood test results are normal.

Then make an appointment to see a nurse: she'll have a bit more time than a Dr, and you can discuss this in full with her. And would you take a female family member with you, or a girlfriend? And make sure to keep a note of the frequency of your menstruation, as it all builds a fuller picture of the issue.

I'll try and bring my friend but I literally have no time with college 2 jobs, exams, driving lessons and all the homework i get :/
Original post by Zozaaaa
I'll try and bring my friend but I literally have no time with college 2 jobs, exams, driving lessons and all the homework i get :/

Ok, fair enough. But you have to make yourself, and your own well-being, important too.

Quick Reply

Latest