The Student Room Group

Financial roles in different companies

A friend of mine tells me to apply to Ford and JLR as engineer. I wonder would it be possible to transfer later in the company to a role that would give me IBD experience to make a transition to IBD later? Do you know if such companies have such roles? Maybe Ford Credit?

Also I know some energy companies have energy traders. How much is the pay there and how easy is to switch to IBD or hedge funds trading roles?

Any career advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well, one way of doing it is by getting a grad role as engineer, gain a few years of experience, get into an MBA at a good business school and then apply to grad schemes in IBD from there.

From what I've heard, the trading roles in energy companies and oil cocmpanies don't really pay that much- it's not the same as trading in a bank. Also, commodities trading isn't really what you want to be getting yourself into right now. It's quite hard to switch into banking as well.
Reply 2
Original post by Trapz99
Well, one way of doing it is by getting a grad role as engineer, gain a few years of experience, get into an MBA at a good business school and then apply to grad schemes in IBD from there.

From what I've heard, the trading roles in energy companies and oil cocmpanies don't really pay that much- it's not the same as trading in a bank. Also, commodities trading isn't really what you want to be getting yourself into right now. It's quite hard to switch into banking as well.

I can't do that. It's too much time wasted. can I start an MBA just after getting my BEng? Will it be easier to get a job in IBD, trading, consultancy or I have the same chances as a beng holder? Does the mba have to be 1st and from target uni?
Reply 3
Original post by studos
I can't do that. It's too much time wasted. can I start an MBA just after getting my BEng? Will it be easier to get a job in IBD, trading, consultancy or I have the same chances as a beng holder? Does the mba have to be 1st and from target uni?

No you need experience to get into an MBA (because of the insane competition) and it should be from a target university (targets change a bit for MBA because London Business School is added to the list as well). It will be a lot easier to get into IBD as an MBA holder from a target uni than with a beng from a non-target uni, assuming that you also have the right extracurricular activities and skills. You either apply for summer internships this year or next year at investment banks or go into a different job, gain experience, build a good CV, get into a good MBA and then join an investment bank as an associate.
Original post by Trapz99

Erm, they do pay well. Just not at the junior stage. Once you're on a desk and are a fully fledged physical (or paper) trader, you get to keep a cut of whatever PnL you make. And no, commodities traders can do well no matter where the market is - with the right strategy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by studos

You need to change your attitude man, 'I can't do that' is the worst possible response anyone can have to a career suggestion. To put it simply, no IBD at a bank would take you on in your current position not even as a practising engineer. The ONLY ways to switch careers are via an MBA or ruthless networking. An MBA would be the best route as you're given a reset button effectively, and any poor university or job beforehand is oftentimes forgotten.

No respectable MBA programme would take anyone on without at least 3-5 years of work experience. The ones where you can get an MBA directly after uni are a complete waste of money. You could potentially look into pre-experience Masters in Management or Masters in Finance courses. They'd do the same thing (in terms of overriding the brand of your current uni), however you'll start at the same level as an undergrad would. They are expensive though, so do bear that in mind.

Most top programmes don't disclose grades, so realistically you don't need to be top of the year but you also shouldn't fail. And of course it needs to be from a target school, this is IB/trading/consulting we're talking about after all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Princepieman
Erm, they do pay well. Just not at the junior stage. Once you're on a desk and are a fully fledged physical (or paper) trader, you get to keep a cut of whatever PnL you make. And no, commodities traders can do well no matter where the market is - with the right strategy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool, I didn't know that. Thanks!
Reply 7
Original post by Princepieman
You need to change your attitude man, 'I can't do that' is the worst possible response anyone can have to a career suggestion. To put it simply, no IBD at a bank would take you on in your current position not even as a practising engineer. The ONLY ways to switch careers are via an MBA or ruthless networking. An MBA would be the best route as you're given a reset button effectively, and any poor university or job beforehand is oftentimes forgotten.

No respectable MBA programme would take anyone on without at least 3-5 years of work experience. The ones where you can get an MBA directly after uni are a complete waste of money. You could potentially look into pre-experience Masters in Management or Masters in Finance courses. They'd do the same thing (in terms of overriding the brand of your current uni), however you'll start at the same level as an undergrad would. They are expensive though, so do bear that in mind.

Most top programmes don't disclose grades, so realistically you don't need to be top of the year but you also shouldn't fail. And of course it needs to be from a target school, this is IB/trading/consulting we're talking about after all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

sorry @studos but I agree with this. You need to really understand what IB really involves because you don't seem to have any motivation for going into banking except for prestige and making money. Also your uni is not targeted by banks so you need to be an outstanding candidate to succeed. It's far easier for you to find something you are passionate about and work on that instead of continuing to dream something you don't really want for the right reasons.
Reply 8
I think you misunderstood me.
I love IBD for the right reasons: I love working 100h per week, I love doing mundane work on excel and I love working with arrogant stack up youngsters.
I am in for the right reasons, like you. Ofcourse you do not want it for the money or prestige, you are way above all that, I know right.
Original post by studos
I love IBD for the right reasons: I love working 100h per week, I love doing mundane work on excel and I love working with arrogant stack up youngsters.
I am in for the right reasons, like you. Ofcourse you do not want it for the money or prestige, you are way above all that, I know right.

Do you actually know what doing IBD entails other than "work 100h weeks", "work on excel"?
Original post by Terry Tibbs
Do you actually know what doing IBD entails other than "work 100h weeks", "work on excel"?

And the obvious models and bottles, of course
Reply 11
Original post by Terry Tibbs

Have you actually finished school?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by studos

You broke my Troll detector :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by studos

The right reasons are:
-The exit opportunities are unrivalled by any other career (you can go into PE, HF, startups. start your own business)
-Gaining so much knowledge about business and finance in a couple of years
-The skills you gain (financial modelling, analytical, pitching, teamwork, leadership etc)
-The networking opportunities (people who work with you later go on to be very successful, possibly giving you career opportunities)
-Being able to work in a dynamic environment
-Making an impact- the deals you work on can change the face of a company
-Enjoyin the work to an extent (if you like working in a team, have a passion for finance which many bankers do)

Looking at your post I can clearly see that you are not motivated and employers will see right through that in the (multiple) interviews. No one can work 100 hours a week without enjoying their job to an extent.
Original post by Trapz99
No one can work 100 hours a week without enjoying their job to an extent.

Tell that to the jews
Original post by Mathstatician
Tell that to the jews

I don't understand
Original post by studos

i don't want to go into IBD
Original post by Trapz99
I don't understand

I was alluding to a slave culture.

You can work under any circumstances with the right incentive. For some people, that money is enough.
OP, what are your reasons for wanting to go into IB? It's a pretty big commitment to make and work will be intense and pretty consuming.
Original post by Mathstatician
I was alluding to a slave culture.

You can work under any circumstances with the right incentive. For some people, that money is enough.

Yeah but where do Jews fit into all of is? I don't see why you referred to them.

Quick Reply

Latest