The Student Room Group

Please help. I just attacked my mother.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mariam687
ok.

I bet you're terrified of dogs :redface:
Original post by Poooky
I think a lot of pet owners would agree with me, you become very attached to them.
You didn't answer my question though. It's like a tug of war between two things you immensely love.
Either way don't think I'll ever be able to get you to understand :tongue:

yh but look what the mother has been through.. to raise u etc
he/she should take the dog to the vets but mum but mum is more important.
Original post by Riyad Mahrez
I bet you're terrified of dogs :redface:

yup.

lmao
Original post by RobML
It's been proven that anger isn't something that builds up and is released

K.
Reply 44
No I'm with @mariam687 on this one

Are you lot mad? Kick my mum over a dog? I'd rather let the dog die
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by picklescamp
K.

why the passive aggression? :mad:
Good going OP. Though I probably would have kicked the brother instead. Your whole family sounds insufferable, and I would move out ASAP.
Original post by Shadez

someone understands me..
Original post by RobML
why the passive aggression? :mad:

just suppressing my anger towards you :h:
Reply 49
Your mother is stuck between a rock and a hard place with your brother, being her own flesh and blood it is understandable if she is 'protecting him' from being institutionalised or punished for what he is doing. However, causing your own pet dog to bleed and causing it to become lame is unacceptable, even when perpetrated by someone with a terrible mental illness such as schizophrenia and what is to say that your brother wont cause one of you to bleed and break someone's legs? Perhaps your brother needs the police/RSPCA to witness the results of his handiwork.

You should not have kicked your mother, although your response is an understandable (if misguided) action to the event. Unfortunately, violence can breed violence, and living in a household with violence can 'normalise' violence. It is good that you regret your actions and see that it is wrong. You do need to make it up to your mother and try not to do it again, however you need to be verbally assertive and state that you cannot stand by and accept animal abuse. You do need to accept that your mother is in a difficult position with your brother though!
Original post by Wimbs
Your mother is stuck between a rock and a hard place with your brother, being her own flesh and blood it is understandable if she is 'protecting him' from being institutionalised or punished for what he is doing. However, causing your own pet dog to bleed and causing it to become lame is unacceptable, even when perpetrated by someone with a terrible mental illness such as schizophrenia and what is to say that your brother wont cause one of you to bleed and break someone's legs? Perhaps your brother needs the police/RSPCA to witness the results of his handiwork.

You should not have kicked your mother, although your response is an understandable (if misguided) action to the event. Unfortunately, violence can breed violence, and living in a household with violence can 'normalise' violence. It is good that you regret your actions and see that it is wrong. You do need to make it up to your mother and try not to do it again, however you need to be verbally assertive and state that you cannot stand by and accept animal abuse. You do need to accept that your mother is in a difficult position with your brother though!

THIS.
Reply 51
if i hit my mum

she would KO me the next instant

literally

left hook to the jaw

rip zanner
but this is his "mum" we're talking about..

it seems as though ur backing up the dog instead of the mother.

:frown:

How on earth have you come to that conclusion after Legendary quest said:

Original post by Legendary Quest
If you read the OP you'd know about what happened to the dog and you'll understand why he was upset. I don't agree with his actions because I believe that violence is wrong regardless of whether or not it is against your parents. He was in an emotional state hence why he made the 'mistake' and regretted it straight away. It was wrong, yes, but it was still a mistake.
Reply 53
Original post by Anonymous
Hi I'm sort of in shock at the moment. Sorry it's a long story but if you have any advice or comments I appreciate it.

My parents let my extremely aggressive schizophrenic brother take my elderly dog out. He has attacked her (and us) before and I've told my parents not to let him take her because his history. They let him take her anyway and when he returned hours later she was covered in some kind of gross sticky liquid and was dragging both her legs behind her one of which was covered in blood. My brother admitted she got in his way so he kicked her but he has obviously done much worse. She also refuses to eat anything, which is completely unlike her. When she came back in such a horrific state I asked my parents to do something like challenge him as to what exactly he did and to take her to the vet. They didn't care whatsoever and were more concerned with defendeding my brother because he's "mentally unwell". So I just snapped and kicked my mother twice as hard as I could asking her how she likes it. She looked at me in horror then started crying and I noticed two massive bruises come up within seconds.

I instantly regretted doing it and feel really guilty for causing my mum pain as I've never had an argument with her in all my 18 years. She's my best friend and I can't believe I did this. The other day I was violently ill and she took care of me all day and night even taking the day off of work.

My parents just left the house with my mum crying as she left. I feel so upset and guilty? How to I make this up to her? I know she feels incredibly betrayed by my violence.

PS I have phoned the emergency vets who advised me to monitor the dog until my parents come back and then try and bring her in later if she is still lame and/or not eating

Family situations can get tougher than anyone on the outside can appreciate. If you have any means, calmy take your dog to the vet. Call the police or a social worker about your brother so he is safe and cannot harm himself or anyone else. Explain the situation calmy, they are there to help you.
When your parents get back, tell them how sorry you are and why you did what you did. Explain that you never want to do it again and that you want be be forgiven.

If you get everything calmed down then take some time alone in your room and go for a walk. Maybe listen to music or pray. Everyone makes mistakes in the heat of the moment, so don't beat yourself up about it. Just do your best to not go to that extent again.

I hope things get brighter for you and your family (hugs and kisses)
Original post by Student403
How on earth have you come to that conclusion after Legendary quest said:

if u read her other posts in this thread you'll understand why.
That sounds awful... :frown:

You should have kicked your brother if anyone. I can understand you were upset and wanted to lash out, and you should have not reacted violently to anyone. But out of all of them, your brother should have been the target.

Setting that aside...

Give your mother a HUGE apology. Let her know exactly how horrified you are at your actions, and I truly believe you are completely regretful. Tell her you needed to lash out etc. Be completely honest and apologetic.

Unfortunately, there is a chance she may always fear you or have a distrust from now on.
if u read her other posts in this thread you'll understand why.

No. You posted that in reply to Legendary's first post. Anyway that's off topic so I'll leave it there.
Original post by Shadez

I'd kick the brother.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi I'm sort of in shock at the moment. Sorry it's a long story but if you have any advice or comments I appreciate it.

My parents let my extremely aggressive schizophrenic brother take my elderly dog out. He has attacked her (and us) before and I've told my parents not to let him take her because his history. They let him take her anyway and when he returned hours later she was covered in some kind of gross sticky liquid and was dragging both her legs behind her one of which was covered in blood. My brother admitted she got in his way so he kicked her but he has obviously done much worse. She also refuses to eat anything, which is completely unlike her. When she came back in such a horrific state I asked my parents to do something like challenge him as to what exactly he did and to take her to the vet. They didn't care whatsoever and were more concerned with defendeding my brother because he's "mentally unwell". So I just snapped and kicked my mother twice as hard as I could asking her how she likes it. She looked at me in horror then started crying and I noticed two massive bruises come up within seconds.

I instantly regretted doing it and feel really guilty for causing my mum pain as I've never had an argument with her in all my 18 years. She's my best friend and I can't believe I did this. The other day I was violently ill and she took care of me all day and night even taking the day off of work.

My parents just left the house with my mum crying as she left. I feel so upset and guilty? How to I make this up to her? I know she feels incredibly betrayed by my violence.

PS I have phoned the emergency vets who advised me to monitor the dog until my parents come back and then try and bring her in later if she is still lame and/or not eating

Unless your mother is a Boudica type and your father a Woody Allen I think you really should have directed your anger at your father although obviously being violent because of anything other than self-defence is pretty bad really.

I lived alone with my mother growing up and was routinely exposed to, among other things, physical violence, but I only ever retaliated if she was posing a real and immediate risk to my safety.
Reply 59
Your mother didn't do the right thing by letting your brother out, but I don't think you should push your brother (or your parents) further. He might react badly and that will further build up unneeded tension. It will be extremely difficult for you to forgive them but this is imminent if you want to retain a healthy family environment.

The first thing I would do is apologise to her and immediately seek medical help for the dog - it sounds like she's not coping well. Since you said you're 18, I would imagine that booking an appointment will not be an issue.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending