The Student Room Group

Tired of revision? Can't focus? Need more energy? Try this...

Intermittent fasting.

Essentially, you're giving your body a period of time where you don't eat. I usually don't eat from after 8pm in the evening until after lunch time the following day, giving myself an 8 hour (or less) eating window.

Wake up in the morning, don't eat anything, have a coffee (or several) and you will be amazed at the focus you have. The caffeine helps suppress appetite and improves alertness, plus due to being in a fasted state, your body is able to handle it better.

Just try it tomorrow if you've got some work you want to get done which you may or may not have left until the last minute :wink:

Edit: I'm not saying starve yourself, just push back your first meal and get some revision done on an empty stomach, whilst drinking some coffee for an energy boost and to stop any cravings.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Starve myself? No thanks. :'3

That is such a bad idea. You're advising for students to not eat for absolutely ages then drink lots of coffee..?

How bizarre. :s-smilie:
Original post by Anon_98

That is such a bad idea. You're advising for students to not eat for absolutely ages then drink lots of coffee..?

Fasting for a short period of time isn't harmful and it isn't 'starving' yourself.
Reply 3
Original post by Anon_98

Well I'd advise you research it a little before you make a comment like that. It's not starving yourself at all.

How is it absolutely ages? It's not eating in the evening, which is a bad habit anyway. When you eat in the morning, lots of energy is used to process and digest the food you eat, which takes away from energy that you could have to use in order to be productive.

Don't knock it until you've tried it.
Reply 4
Original post by Tarte Tatin
Fasting for a short period of time isn't harmful and it isn't 'starving' yourself.

Meh.

I think it's harmful bc you're supposed to fuel yourself during studying due to all the work your brain is doing.

Not the opposite.
Personally, I think this is a terrible idea and would totally advise against it at all costs.
The reason this doesn't work is because people all have different dietary requirements.
Reply 7
Original post by Anon_98
Meh.

I think it's harmful bc you're supposed to fuel yourself during studying due to all the work your brain is doing.

Not the opposite.

'You think'.

That's the point, you're just guessing.

You're not supposed to 'fuel' yourself in the way you describe. When you fast, i.e. having not eaten for 12 hours, your body uses its glycogen stores and eventually fat stores as energy.

Humans were not designed to eat the way we all do now in modern society.
Reply 8
Original post by .JC.
Intermittent fasting.

Essentially, you're giving your body a period of time where you don't eat. I usually don't eat from after 8pm in the evening until after lunch time the following day, giving myself an 8 hour (or less) eating window.

Wake up in the morning, don't eat anything, have a coffee (or several) and you will be amazed at the focus you have. The caffeine helps suppress appetite and improves alertness, plus due to being in a fasted state, your body is able to handle it better.

Just try it tomorrow if you've got some work you want to get done which you may or may not have left until the last minute :wink:

Side-effects as for the long-term?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I do not think so.
Lack of food can make you lose concentration
Reply 10
Original post by iEthan
Personally, I think this is a terrible idea and would totally advise against it at all costs.

Have you tried it yourself? I don't think you can really advise against something without experience of it first hand.
Original post by Anon_98
Meh.

Not the opposite.

Erm Anon is always right , ALWAYS.
Reply 12
Original post by Impressive
Side-effects as for the long-term?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are no 'side effects'.

Obviously drinking copious amounts of coffee isn't good for you due to the caffeine, but if you restrict caffeine consumption to a period when you are fasted, the benefits will be better felt and you will not crash as bad, or build up as much of a tolerance.

IF has many health benefits, such as elongating life, and is regarded as one of the healthiest ways to eat/live.
Original post by .JC.
Have you tried it yourself? I don't think you can really advise against something without experience of it first hand.

Funnily enough, having been really ill all last week and being unable to eat for a considerable amount of time and still having to revise… you could say that I have unintentionally tried this. It didn't help!!!!!!! :smile:

Again. I'd advise against this. Totally and utterly.
Original post by .JC.
Well I'd advise you research it a little before you make a comment like that.

Nah.

Original post by .JC.

It's not starving yourself at all.

I feel starved after 2hrs of not consuming food, so to me it is.

Original post by .JC.

How is it absolutely ages?

You said it was from 8pm until after 12pm the next day. You do realise that breakfast is a v important meal, if not the most important particularly during exam period?

Original post by .JC.

It's not eating in the evening, which is a bad habit anyway.

I eat in the evening/night all the time. - Not dead yet.

Original post by .JC.

When you eat in the morning, lots of energy is used to process and digest the food you eat, which takes away from energy that you could have to use in order to be productive.

okay.

Original post by .JC.

Don't knock it until you've tried it.

Hm.
Reply 15
Original post by Lemauricien
The reason this doesn't work is because people all have different dietary requirements.

Depends what you mean. Most people can do this just fine without any issues. Some people may need to eat a certain way for example, diabetics, but obviously if you don't have any such thing, there isn't going to be a problem.

Original post by M14B
I do not think so.
Lack of food can make you lose concentration

But you're not having a lack of food. It's a common misconception that we have to eat X frequently for whatever reason. If you think you're losing concentration, have something to eat. I find that I try and put off eating as late as I can because I'm so productive in my fasted state.
Reply 16
Original post by iEthan
Funnily enough, having been really ill all last week and being unable to eat for a considerable amount of time and still having to revise… you could say that I have unintentionally tried this. It didn't help!!!!!!! :smile:

Again. I'd advise against this. Totally and utterly.

It won't have been in a controlled way, and being ill wouldn't have helped at all. If you haven't tried it with the intentions of doing so then I don't think you can be so quick to shoot down the idea.

Original post by Anon_98
Nah.

I feel starved after 2hrs of not consuming food, so to me it is.

You said it was from 8pm until after 12pm the next day. You do realise that breakfast is a v important meal, if not the most important particularly during exam period?

I eat in the evening/night all the time. - Not dead yet.

okay.

Hm.

Fair enough, if it isn't for you, then it isn't for you. Unless you've tried it, you won't know the benefits and actually how easy it is to do.

Breakfast may be regarded as the most important meal of the day, but in my opinion it isn't. Most of the 'energy' you intake for breakfast is wasted and ends up being stored as fat.
Reply 17
Original post by Niltiac229
I know you're trying to help people but I would find a link to some proof that this actually works and isn't harmful if I were you

I can find several links, for example, an article I wrote on the topic myself.

But people may call me/them biased so I would invite them to find their own articles/studies.
Ya know what. I'll try this, cause anything to make me revise. I'll see how it goes.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by .JC.

That's the point, you're just guessing.

I'm not guessing at all. I've got enough common sense to know that I shouldn't be doing what you're suggesting. It might provide "temporary energy" but in the long run, it's a silly idea.

Original post by .JC.

You're not supposed to 'fuel' yourself in the way you describe. When you fast, i.e. having not eaten for 12 hours, your body uses its glycogen stores and eventually fat stores as energy.

Why exactly would anyone want to do that though? The disadvantages are much greater than what it's worth.

Original post by .JC.

Humans were not designed to eat the way we all do now in modern society.

In what way do humans currently eat that is so much of a problem it needs this apparent solution?

Quick Reply

Latest