The Student Room Group

Why isn't homosexuality a choice? (genuine question)

I have been wondering about this for a while now, this is a genuine question by the way.

Surely it can be a choice?

Scroll to see replies

What are you on about?
Reply 2
You choose to identify as homosexual. But you don't 'choose' which gender you're attracted to.
Reply 3
You can choose to f*** guys (if you're a guy) if you'd like to. No one's stopping you.
Idk if it it, all i can say from personal experience is that i can't like men, no matter how hard i try (yes i have stared at them for long periods :redface:) something just won't click and i doubt it ever will, women on the other hand are just so attractive and well frankly i just love them :redface:. As far as i'm aware i didn't choose that and tbh it would be far easier if i just liked men but that seems impossible and i have therefore concluded that it isn't a choice because if it was then i would just like men :smile: i suppose technically anyone can have a partner with anyone and yeah they choose that but they certainly don't choose the attraction part.
just what i think anyway not saying it is right :smile: x
Reply 5
Original post by Alexion
You choose to identify as homosexual. But you don't 'choose' which gender you're attracted to.

Ahh okay. Thank you!

This is why this kind of stuff needs to be taught in schools...
Can be a choice to act on it - to enter into gay relationships, but the feelings are just there and can't be manufactured. And it's as difficult not to act on those feelings as it is for straight people to not act on theirs.
(edited 7 years ago)
50/50 nature and nurture. The 'gay gene' doesn't exist.
Nah. You don't choose to like pizza, you either like it or you don't because that's how you're wired. Same thing with your sexuality really.
I think it largely a choice, I have met a few people who have gone from straight to full blown homosexual in about 2 years.
Its complex even as a gay person... you're attracted 50% to girls but not fully... and this is why people think its a choice. If your bisexual you have a choice though, majority go to straight but a few go gay side.
Original post by Anonymous
I think it largely a choice, I have met a few people who have gone from straight to full blown homosexual in about 2 years.

I can't really comment for sure but are you sure they were actually straight in the first place? for instance if i eventually 'come out' then people will think that of me because i have pretended for a very long time so as not to arouse suspicion i.e 'he's hot' so i would just nod in agreement or something bc that is what is expected when in reality i've known for about 3 years so idk i wouldn't just assume they were ever 'straight' unless they explicitly told you they thought they were.
just my opinion though :smile:

Thats called gender fluid or confused. Its not a choice. If it was a choice so many people would not have committed suicide for being gay.
Just the way a straight person is attracted to the opposite gender, same with homosexuals. You can't stop that feeling its not possible. You try falling in love with the same gender and you'll see its not possible at all!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Surprise - there's this thing called bisexuality. There really should be a 2-hour crash course on sexuality at schools.
Original post by BWV1007
Surprise - there's this thing called bisexuality. There really should be a 2-hour crash course on sexuality at schools.

I agree. The amount of people that actually don't understand this stuff is surprising :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am pretty sure that it is a choice, and just because you cannot be attracted to men does not mean that it cannot be a choice
Idk if it it, all i can say from personal experience is that i can't like men, no matter how hard i try (yes i have stared at them for long periods :redface:) something just won't click and i doubt it ever will, women on the other hand are just so attractive and well frankly i just love them :redface:. As far as i'm aware i didn't choose that and tbh it would be far easier if i just liked men but that seems impossible and i have therefore concluded that it isn't a choice because if it was then i would just like men :smile: i suppose technically anyone can have a partner with anyone and yeah they choose that but they certainly don't choose the attraction part.
just what i think anyway not saying it is right :smile: x

I feel like I've heard this story before. Do I know who you are?

Posted from TSR Mobile
From personal experience no, and if it were the same could easily be said for being straight.
Original post by ServantOfMorgoth
I feel like I've heard this story before. Do I know who you are?

Posted from TSR Mobile

you probably do tbh :lol: i would say but post history and what not :smile: pms always open :wink:
you probably do tbh :lol: i would say but post history and what not :smile: pms always open :wink:

Lol well you can pm me

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest