The Student Room Group

AQA A2 History Coursework unit 4- WORD COUNT IS OVER

Long story short I submitted my coursework but it was about 800 words over...The thing is I don't actually have a word count on my essay I handed in and you assume 4000 words to be about 8 pages, however mine was just about 1/3 of the way down onto the 7th page sooo will I be penalised and go straight down in my marks or not???? Really stressed about this please answer!! Especially if you have a definite answer!

Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Can you tell me if this was handwritten or typed up?
Reply 2
Original post by undercxver
Can you tell me if this was handwritten or typed up?

Typed up
Original post by Notions97
Typed up

Oh no, you most likely are going to be picked up on this.

Did you teacher not realise?

This is what the AQA exam board say...
As stated in the specification, no credit will be given for additional material in excess of4000 words. It is legitimate for teachers to remind their students of this requirement at anystage prior to the final submission of the enquiry for final assessment. However, inaccordance with JCQ regulations, adding or removing any material to or from courseworkafter it has been presented by a student for final assessment will constitute malpractice.

Spoiler

Reply 4
Oh no, you most likely are going to be picked up on this.

Did you teacher not realise?

This is what the AQA exam board say...

Spoiler

Well she didn't say anything when I gave it back to her but we have a lesson with her on Wednesday...I'll keep you updated :/

So what will they actually do??? Will they dock a certain amount of marks in addition to not reading the excess content?

Also how will they know it's over??
Well she didn't say anything when I gave it back to her but we have a lesson with her on Wednesday...I'll keep you updated :/

So what will they actually do??? Will they dock a certain amount of marks in addition to not reading the excess content?

Also how will they know it's over??

To be honest, I've never heard about someone being over the limit for their coursework.

You teacher seems a bit pathetic as most teacher usually look over what you have done before it's submission.

The way you will be penalised is by not getting any marks for those extra words.

If typed up, it's easy to check if it's over the limit or not (copy, paste, check word count).

For handwritten courseworks they don't take word counts so seriously as it is time consuming.
Reply 6
To be honest, I've never heard about someone being over the limit for their coursework.

You teacher seems a bit pathetic as most teacher usually look over what you have done before it's submission.

The way you will be penalised is by not getting any marks for those extra words.

If typed up, it's easy to check if it's over the limit or not (copy, paste, check word count).

For handwritten courseworks they don't take word counts so seriously as it is time consuming.

Well they haven't submitted it yet, they have about 2-3 weeks to do that so she might say something in my lesson with her this week.

Btw she only has the paper copy, I never sent her an electronic version of it so she can't exactly check it.

Worst thing that could happen is she asks me to put a word count on it, is it really risky to lie...?
Reply 7
Long story short I submitted my coursework but it was about 800 words over...The thing is I don't actually have a word count on my essay I handed in and you assume 4000 words to be about 8 pages, however mine was just about 1/3 of the way down onto the 7th page sooo will I be penalised and go straight down in my marks or not???? Really stressed about this please answer!! Especially if you have a definite answer!

Thank you

How come you're allowed up to 4000 words as I'm also doing the same course but word limit is only 3500 and it has to be typed up!
Reply 8
Original post by KaurNav
How come you're allowed up to 4000 words as I'm also doing the same course but word limit is only 3500 and it has to be typed up!

Oh jheeze everyone's been told 4000 and we looked at past examples from people in the year above and they got 50/60 and above and they have literally just under 4000 words...

I am done

How did yours go btw?
Reply 9
Oh jheeze everyone's been told 4000 and we looked at past examples from people in the year above and they got 50/60 and above and they have literally just under 4000 words...

I am done

How did yours go btw?

Ahh ok, but we've been told to do 3500 for actual courswork plus 500 words evaluation.
I haven't fully completed it yet but the submission date is like 25th I think, so I need to finds it soon. I find it really hard!
What's your coursework on??
Reply 10
Original post by KaurNav
Ahh ok, but we've been told to do 3500 for actual courswork plus 500 words evaluation.
I haven't fully completed it yet but the submission date is like 25th I think, so I need to finds it soon. I find it really hard!
What's your coursework on??

My title was ' From Autocracy to Democracy the Russian tradition of a centralised police state has never been seriously challenged. To what extent is this a fair assessment of the period 1905-2005? '

I chose to focus on the theme of censorship and how it has enabled the rulers of the last 100 years to deal with challenges to the CPS.

Wbu??
Reply 11
My title was ' From Autocracy to Democracy the Russian tradition of a centralised police state has never been seriously challenged. To what extent is this a fair assessment of the period 1905-2005? '

I chose to focus on the theme of censorship and how it has enabled the rulers of the last 100 years to deal with challenges to the CPS.

Wbu??

Interesting!!! I can't remember the exact wording but it's about how far was Britain responsible for worsening Catholic and Protestants relationship in Ireland 1886-1986.
Reply 12
From what my teacher has said, 4000 words is the maximum and any more than that you will loose marks for, i remember my GCSE coursework going down by around 5 marks from full marks because i went over.
Im not sure how the examiner will know you have gone over but 800 words is a decent sized paragraph they may compare the amount to other essays they have?
Im currently 200 words over but plan on rectifying that tomorrow before i submit it.
Well atleast all of your essays sound interesting mines on 100 years of Civil RIghts!
It probably hasn't been sent off yet, why don't you speak to your teacher and ask her if you can change the word count? But 4000 words in the maximum, 3500 words and then 500 word evaluation.
Well they haven't submitted it yet, they have about 2-3 weeks to do that so she might say something in my lesson with her this week.

Btw she only has the paper copy, I never sent her an electronic version of it so she can't exactly check it.

Worst thing that could happen is she asks me to put a word count on it, is it really risky to lie...?

Oh don't worry about it then! It's not been submitted then, and I'm pretty sure your teacher wouldn't let you send it off with it being over the word count.

She's asking for a word count for your good. You should make your teacher aware of the fact that it is over the limit so that you can cut it down. Don't lie about it, it would be best if you tell her the truth. That way she may give you tips on how to cut down and improve on it. :h:
Reply 15
Oh don't worry about it then! It's not been submitted then, and I'm pretty sure your teacher wouldn't let you send it off with it being over the word count.

She's asking for a word count for your good. You should make your teacher aware of the fact that it is over the limit so that you can cut it down. Don't lie about it, it would be best if you tell her the truth. That way she may give you tips on how to cut down and improve on it. :h:

So update, on my Wednesday lesson we got it back and had until yesterday to hand in for final submission, thank god.

She told me to get the essay down to 4100 max and I did, and she was very adamant about none of us putting a word count on it. Honestly I have no more worries!

Thanks for the advice :biggrin:

P.S To cut down your word count by a lot, (and i mean A LOT), get rid of ''that'', you would not believe how many ''that''s you don't even need....
So update, on my Wednesday lesson we got it back and had until yesterday to hand in for final submission, thank god.

She told me to get the essay down to 4100 max and I did, and she was very adamant about none of us putting a word count on it. Honestly I have no more worries!

Thanks for the advice :biggrin:

P.S To cut down your word count by a lot, (and i mean A LOT), get rid of ''that'', you would not believe how many ''that''s you don't even need....

I'm glad things have worked out for you!

All the best with your coursework, I hope you get the grade you want/need. :hugs:

P.S: Thanks for the tip, it may come handy for my assignments at university. :h:
Reply 17
I'm glad things have worked out for you!

All the best with your coursework, I hope you get the grade you want/need. :hugs:

P.S: Thanks for the tip, it may come handy for my assignments at university. :h:

And the same to you!

No problem :smile:

Oh yeah what Uni/course have you applied for???
And the same to you!

No problem :smile:

Oh yeah what Uni/course have you applied for???

Marketing, four universities in London and one is just a little out of London. I've got three offers, one rejection and one interview in a few days. :afraid:

I'm hoping to apply through Adjustment/Clearing to get into a university of my choice.

How about you? :h:
Reply 19
Marketing, four universities in London and one is just a little out of London. I've got three offers, one rejection and one interview in a few days. :afraid:

I'm hoping to apply through Adjustment/Clearing to get into a university of my choice.

How about you? :h:

Ooh good luck!! Let me know how it went (if you want to that is xD)

History, well it was actually Archaeology at Bangor, Joint Arch and History at Hull (now just history), and then Egyptology and Classical Civilization at Swansea.

I feel like I'm gonna firm Hull only

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending