The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Muslim roommates needed

Hello everyone,

I'm planning on going to Nottingham uni in September, as I'm from London I'm going to have to move out, I don't want to move into student halls because I'm a practising Muslim. I'm wondering if there's any other girls in the same predicament? I'm hoping to find a small group of like minded girls so we can rent a property together.

Please message me if you're interested :smile:
Humaira

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LondonRaani
Hello everyone,

I'm planning on going to Nottingham uni in September, as I'm from London I'm going to have to move out, I don't want to move into student halls because I'm a practising Muslim. I'm wondering if there's any other girls in the same predicament? I'm hoping to find a small group of like minded girls so we can rent a property together.

Humaira

Try contacting the isoc of your uni, they may be able to help out inshaAllah.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
I'm from London and going to Nottingham in September too. I'm going for uni accommodation but sharing a twin studio en-suite with a friend who is also Muslim. What's your parents' reactions about you moving out and didn't you apply to any courses in London?
Original post by antebellum
Why are muslims so unwilling to embrace other people's cultures.

Practicing Muslims might not want to be around the typical "student" lifestyles, drinking partying etc.
Original post by Alice__90
Practicing Muslims might not want to be around the typical "student" lifestyles, drinking partying etc.

Exactly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by TJM_786
I'm from London and going to Nottingham in September too. I'm going for uni accommodation but sharing a twin studio en-suite with a friend who is also Muslim. What's your parents' reactions about you moving out and didn't you apply to any courses in London?

Aaahhh that's lucky. I'd do that too but I don't know anyone who's also studying at Nottingham. My dad doesn't know yet but my older siblings know. They're not happy about it lol but they've come to realise I don't really have a choice. I applied to one uni in London but I didn't get an offer. I applied for dietetics and only two unis in London offer the course so my chances were slim
Reply 6

Maybe they want to make sure everything is halal so there's no accidental cross contamination. A sensible idea tbh
Pretty bigoted tbh OP.
Reply 8

Maybe because your culture seems to include unwarranted questioning of the personal lifestyle choices of others. :smile:
Maybe because your culture seems to include unwarranted questioning of the personal lifestyle choices of others. :smile:

I'm not Muslim, but from the few Muslim friends I have I'd feel much more comfortable living with them than sharing with the typical student :smile:

Original post by TheIr0nDuke
Pretty bigoted tbh OP.

It's not that they're unwilling to embrace, it's more that those cultures clash heavily with theirs, i.e. drinking, hooking up, partying, which they don't want to get involved in. Best way to do that is to get other like minded people, and since most atheists do in fact drink and stuff, Muslims are the best choice.

Maybe because she doesn't want to live with people that cook bacon, and drink alcohol all the time. There's far too much pressure in halls anyways, especially in the first year.
Original post by donutellme
It's not that they're unwilling to embrace, it's more that those cultures clash heavily with theirs, i.e. drinking, hooking up, partying, which they don't want to get involved in. Best way to do that is to get other like minded people, and since most atheists do in fact drink and stuff, Muslims are the best choice.

'Integration'.

If I said I just want to live with Christians, I'd be branded a racist.
'Integration'.

If I said I just want to live with Christians, I'd be branded a racist.

Wrongfully so.
Original post by donutellme
Wrongfully so.

But I would be branded nonetheless.
Contact the university. They might be able to go to normal uni halls but share a flat with fellow Muslims.
Hello everyone,

Humaira

Humaira. That is such a beautiful name. If I ever have a daughter, I'm going to name her that! Good luck on finding a roommate though!
Pretty bigoted tbh OP.

Nothing bigoted about it. Not everyone wants to live on campus lol

Plus, muslims aren't allowed to touch pork, and alcohol. It goes against their deen.

Would you call it bigoted if a woman only wanted to live with other women? Or is it only bigoted if it's a muslim person?
Original post by Perfection Ace
Humaira. That is such a beautiful name. If I ever have a daughter, I'm going to name her that! Good luck on finding a roommate though!

Thank you!
But I would be branded nonetheless.

You can't blame the OP for that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending