The Student Room Group

how to know which drinks to mix with what?

I have never really drunk and have to attend events where there are drinks

how do people know what to mix the alcoholic drink with? say at a party?
Reply 1
I have two cocktail books
Beer doesn't need to be mixed with anything. This includes cider and blackcurrent juice. Don't do it.

Gin goes with tonic.
Vodka goes with: Cranberry juice (drink lots of water with this, it will make your mouth dry), lemonade, coke, pretty much any soft drink.
Whisk(e)y goes with: coke, vanilla coke (works with spiced/dark rum)
Malibu goes with coke

Pretty standard list that isn't particularly comprehensive but should give you an idea.
It's all about trial and error for me.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Saqua
I have never really drunk and have to attend events where there are drinks

how do people know what to mix the alcoholic drink with? say at a party?

if it isn't fruity just coke it... this is the student explanation i got from a bartenders who had studied mixology
Depends what you mean by mix. If you mean some fancy shizzle then I'd doubt it if it's just a friend's party or something like that.
If you mean something like Vodka and coke, then there's not really a set rule for it. But generally, dark alcohol goes with dark drinks and white goes with any. That's not to say you couldn't mix something like aged whiskey with lemonade though.

White alcohol is clear stuff like white rum, most Vodkas, Silver Tequila (Blanco or Plata),ect....
Dark alcohol, in this context anyway, basically includes anything with colour. So aged whisk(e)y, aged rum, aged tequila (Reposado, Añejo. Extra Añejo, Reserva de Casa and Reserva de la Familia), ect...
(edited 8 years ago)
Just drink vodka. It goes with anything.
You mean there is a rule to mixing drinks?
I just put everything on hand together...
Lidl cherry liquor definitely doesn't go with milk - it curdles. :yucky:

Malibu or vodka however mix very well with milk.
Gin always goes with tonic unless as part of a larger cocktail. Vodka goes well with fruit juices especially orange, bourbons are best consumed with Cola, whiskies should be enjoyed neat, and the perfect mixer for dark or spiced rums is lime juice and ginger ale/ginger beer. Brandies and cognacs are best consumed neat or topped with champagne if you're feeling fancy.

Liquors and fortified wines should be enjoyed as they are. RTD products like fruit coolers and alcopops are already mixed so same there.

As for drafts, guiness with black urgent cordial if anything, cider and lagers are best unmixed. A half pint of premium lager topped with a half pint of Smirnoff Ice is a nice tasting shandy that hits hard though.
Original post by Sabertooth
Lidl cherry liquor definitely doesn't go with milk - it curdles. :yucky:

Malibu or vodka however mix very well with milk.

Vodka and milk?!!? I would never ever have thought of mixing these...
Original post by rayquaza17
Vodka and milk?!!? I would never ever have thought of mixing these...

It's a very common drink. Add a few cl of Kahlua and it would be called a White Russian.

Quick Reply

Latest