The Student Room Group

Are there any old fashion dudes out here...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
I know guys who enjoy cooking and baking. I also clean for my parents. Everything you've mentioned is nurture, not nature. If you were brought up differently you'd possibly see things completely differently too. Women will never have true equality until both men and women understand gender roles are nothing but a by-product of how we're raised.

And I know few girls who are workaholic, also likes to change their tires and other 'manly' tasks... Being different is good and beautiful on its on way. The point is, it's not about I know few people who follow mainstream... It's on global scale. There is a reason why it's women giving birth, why men physically stronger, taller (on avarage).
Original post by lNurl
And I know few girls who are workaholic, also likes to change their tires and other 'manly' tasks... Being different is good and beautiful on its on way. The point is, it's not about I know few people who follow mainstream... It's on global scale. There is a reason why it's women giving birth, why men physically stronger, taller (on avarage).

No a woman needs to know how to change a tire, but if I'm with a guy who knows how and he makes ME change it, douche.
Original post by xobeauty
No a woman needs to know how to change a tire, but if I'm with a guy who knows how and he makes ME change it, douche.

And if I'm with a girl who knows how to make food and she makes ME make it, bitch.
Original post by lNurl

What is that reason? This isn't the middle ages and you don't need men to defend you from wild beasts or to provide shelter. If you want to say you're a precious flower that needs a white knight then that's your prerogative. But fundamentally in the modern age of technology height nor strength lends any advantage towards status or security.

Don't give humans more credit than we deserve, just because societies evolved thousands of years ago in a certain way and have remained largely static regarding gender roles since, it doesn't make it right. :smile: If you'd like to show me some hard evidence that women are better suited to be unemployed and take care of children I'd be happy to take a look at the studies.

Original post by donutellme
No?

It works especially on a large scale. On average, women are weaker and emotional, so more suited for tasks that require less labour and more emotional tasks. Men are the opposite. It's all been said a thousand times before. I don't get why people are trying to break things which work...

IT HAPPENS ON A LARGE SCALE BECAUSE AS HUMANS SOCIETY HAS DEVELOPED THAT WAY. Women are weaker, so what? The large majority of work in this day and age does not require manual labour. Once again it's nuture, you pretty much feel like this because it's been ingrained into you. You might not like it but you've been indoctrinated. :smile: Try and see things from a critical point of view and understand there is no legitimate reason for gender roles, and don't use anecdotal points please. 'men are the opposite of emotional' isn't proof of anything, it's just making up a point to ad hoc rescue.

I like them they work in my favour lol:u:

As do most women :p: At least you're willing to admit if you prefer the status quo simply because of the advantage it lends you, unlike the above :wink:
And if I'm with a girl who knows how to make food and she makes ME make it, bitch.

I can dig that.

Although changing a tire is different scenario.
I can dig that.

Although changing a tire is different scenario.

Dig that?

It's clearly a different scenario. The principle is the same.
What is that reason? This isn't the middle ages and you don't need men to defend you from wild beasts or to provide shelter. If you want to say you're a precious flower that needs a white knight then that's your prerogative. But fundamentally in the modern age of technology height nor strength lends any advantage towards status or security.

Don't give humans more credit than we deserve, just because societies evolved thousands of years ago in a certain way and have remained largely static regarding gender roles since, it doesn't make it right. :smile: If you'd like to show me some hard evidence that women are better suited to be unemployed and take care of children I'd be happy to take a look at the studies.

IT HAPPENS ON A LARGE SCALE BECAUSE AS HUMANS SOCIETY HAS DEVELOPED THAT WAY. Women are weaker, so what? The large majority of work in this day and age does not require manual labour. Once again it's nuture, you pretty much feel like this because it's been ingrained into you. You might not like it but you've been indoctrinated. :smile: Try and see things from a critical point of view and understand there is no legitimate reason for gender roles, and don't use anecdotal points please. 'men are the opposite of emotional' isn't proof of anything, it's just making up a point to ad hoc rescue.

As do most women :p: At least you're willing to admit if you prefer the status quo simply because of the advantage it lends you, unlike the above :wink:

Why has human society developed that way?
Reply 47
Original post by DMcGovern
Yes.
Especially if I'm going out with them.
I feel a bit weird about it, so I'll even do it for small things for girls I'm close with, but if I'm going out with a girl I will never let her pay for anything. Except on rare occasions.

I don't know why but it just seems part of the whole 'boyfriend' deal, I guess :tongue:

do you pay for her tampons?

Original post by Indeterminate
Umm yes :colondollar:

I've always thought of it as the gentlemanly thing to do :h:

*insecure
Why has human society developed that way?

Being stronger and taller leant protection against other humans and a likelier chance of survival in hunter gatherer societies. Do yourself a favour and don't set your standards to them. :smile: The Dark Ages weren't pretty. Of course if you really want it's up to you, but it doesn't do you any favours. :p:

Alternatively feel free to send me some studies to try and change my mind.
I like them they work in my favour lol:u:

Good for you!!! Great!!

What a ****ing stupid thing to say.
Dig that?

It's clearly a different scenario. The principle is the same.

Majority of women do that naturally anyway it's like natural instinct to make sure they're well fed, even with the guys in her family.
Being stronger and taller leant protection against other humans and a likelier chance of survival in hunter gatherer societies. Do yourself a favour and don't set your standards to them. :smile: The Dark Ages weren't pretty. Of course if you really want to you, but it doesn't do you any favours. :p:

Alternatively feel free to send me some studies to try and change my mind.

Just to point out, I understand your point of view, I just think it's wrong. :P

I might try and say my side later, but I should stop procrastinating for now aha
Majority of women do that naturally anyway it's like natural instinct to make sure they're well fed, even with the guys in her family.

Same with tires
Original post by leavingthecity
Good for you!!! Great!!

What a ****ing stupid thing to say.

You mad? :h:
Just to point out, I understand your point of view, I just think it's wrong. :P

I might try and say my side later, but I should stop procrastinating for now aha

And I yours. The same way I understand why people believe in God. :smile:
Original post by RobML
do you pay for her tampons?

If we were in the pharmacy together? Probably, yeah.
Although odds are she's going to do that on her own in the supermarket or her parents will get it during their weekly shop, depending on where she's staying.
You mad? :h:

This is how I talk
Same with tires

:redface: That's so romantic.
I like old school.

Tbh guys these days don't even know HOW to change a tire.
Reply 58
Original post by DMcGovern
If we were in the pharmacy together? Probably, yeah.
Although odds are she's going to do that on her own in the supermarket or her parents will get it during their weekly shop, depending on where she's staying.

Kinda seems desperate unless you're loaded and she's earning nothing
urgh, I didn't want to be reminded of the ****ed up world we live in where women get only the good things that equality brings, but none of the bad things - ****ed up world.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending