The Student Room Group

Aiming for the A*'s! ((Can I make Cambridge?))

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
30 Days of Productivity ~ {4/30}

Today was better, productivity-wise, and I think what really made the difference was getting up earlier and also getting some exercise in the middle of the day (wow the things everyone tells you to do actually work. Crazy). I've been working late and then getting up late and skipping walks because I've got up late so now haven't got much time and not getting much done in that time anyway and so it's been a bit of a nasty cycle. I've got to get my sleep schedule sorted blehhhhhhh (she writes at half past ten when she was aiming to sleep by ten) (why do I do this to myself)

Anyway, I did today~
I finished my flashcards for my first biology unit (woooooo) + did 250 flashcards in 46 minutes + finished off TWO maths exercises (okay I'd started both of them previously but 2/day was my aim so it was really great to actually hit that for the first time in a v long time) (also I got help and went through the hard ones I'd got stuck on which is always a dRaG so that was pretty good going & tah Dad) + went through and made a list of the themes in Paradise Lost and Volpone + came SO CLOSE to finishing off my flashcard notes for the entire chemistry textbook + watched some videos on respiration & NMR (if I spent as much time on YouTube on school related videos as I did procrastinating on it I would be getting straight As. I feel like textbook then YouTube gives me the best results in terms of comprehension of hard topics, I just have to be disciplined to choose them when I'm getting up in the morning/in the bath/etc)

Aims for tomorrow~
-Today I did revision of all four subjects which was fab so I want to continue with that
-Chemistry: Finish that chemistry textbook and work out how to actually do NMR because although I get the theory, its application is a tOtaL mYsteRy. Also organise packs.
-More flashcards. I don't know if aiming to do more than the day before every day is a realistic thing, but imma try.
-Maths: Can I do 2 exercises/day? Probably not, but imma try.
-Eng Lit: Get common themes from Volpone & Paradise Lost (which I still feel are weird texts to compare, but I'm feeling more hopeful after today)
-Biology: I worked out I have to do 3/day every weekday. Hahahahhahahaaaaaaaaaaa.
Reply 21
30 Days of Productivity ~ {5/30}

Today I did~
~Watched an hour of youtube videos on NMR in bed today. They helped but I didn't actually do any other chemistry today which was not v good.
~One maths section (Numerical Methods). Half my goal, but I knew it was a bit unrealistic, so okay overall.
~59 flashcards in 17 minutes. Erm, moving swiftly on.
~I sorted out my schedule for English which was great, I feel much more in control of that side of things now.
~3 bio sections flashcarded (woop goal met)(especially good because they were really uninspiring sections that contain a lot of extra bumph but I don't know for sure what I can filter out)
~(Watched an ep of Elementary, was pretty good, Joan was brill)

Aims for tomorrow~
I did as much homework as I could do in 2 days at the beginning of the holiday and then dedicated the rest for revision so now I've got one or two bits of homework still left to finish, so that.
Also, FINALLY ACTUALLY DO SOME NMR QUESTIONS.
(I'm also going to try timing myself because I always find that I'm doing a lot less work than I think when I do this which just helps me with my planning)
Hi there,
First of all, congratulations on your offer and I wish you the best of luck in your upcoming examinations.
If you don't mind me asking, what were your GCSE results? And what advice would you give for applying to Cambridge? I know these questions are overused but I will hopefully be going through this process soon.

Regards
Reply 23
Original post by maltelsh
Hi there,
First of all, congratulations on your offer and I wish you the best of luck in your upcoming examinations.
If you don't mind me asking, what were your GCSE results? And what advice would you give for applying to Cambridge? I know these questions are overused but I will hopefully be going through this process soon.

Regards

Thank you :smile:
My GCSE results were 7A*AB, so not quite the 15A*s everyone seems to have but thankfully apparently enough. I don't really know what advice I can give that hasn't been done before, sorry, but I would say do lots of research on here on the Cambridge-specific threads (and elsewhere on the web) and if you find anything related to your subject in real life apply for/read/watch that as it helps interview-wise if you've read around your subject and that isn't really something you can cram the night before. Also, despite what I've just said, concentrate on grades first and foremost as that does seem to be their main focus.
Sorry I can't be more helpful, but good luck!
Reply 24
30 Days of Productivity ~ {6/30}

Today was not great productivity-wise (spending time with people-wise it was great, but I digress). I did one bio flashcard section and a bit of other bio note-making and nothing else. Tomorrow is my rest day, so I'm going to take the time to have a proper relax and then hopefully hit the new term on Monday with a bang (last term before exams, which is terrifying).
Congrats on your offer! :smile: Do you mind telling me what your BMAT score was?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Original post by WhyAlwaysMe?!
Congrats on your offer! :smile: Do you mind telling me what your BMAT score was?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! My BMAT score was 7.2, 4.7, 3.5A. I was really worried about the second section (esp since it's the science section) but it turned out okay. Something I hadn't realised before applying was that, in a weird way, sitting the exam after applying was a good thing. With UKCAT everyone can apply tactically, which pushes the score needed up by lots, but BMAT doesn't have that selection bias which I think really helps. (A friend of mine got in for Vet Med at Camb this year with a BMAT score of 4.7, 4.9, 3.5A (ish, I can't remember exactly)).
Reply 27
30 Days of Productivity ~ {7/30}

Rest day today which was v nice and I watched fun stuff and read Bible and the day left me feeling like YASS BRING ON THIS TERM (I'm gonna be in a ball by Friday but I'll ride this feeling wave while it lasts :biggrin:)
Reply 28
Original post by fdstudies
Thank you! My BMAT score was 7.2, 4.7, 3.5A. I was really worried about the second section (esp since it's the science section) but it turned out okay. Something I hadn't realised before applying was that, in a weird way, sitting the exam after applying was a good thing. With UKCAT everyone can apply tactically, which pushes the score needed up by lots, but BMAT doesn't have that selection bias which I think really helps. (A friend of mine got in for Vet Med at Camb this year with a BMAT score of 4.7, 4.9, 3.5A (ish, I can't remember exactly)).

What were your AS UMS scores?
Reply 29
30 Days of Productivity ~ {8/30}

Today was actually really productive, which was great. However I physically did not have time to do everything on my to-do list, which suggests I was being too overambitious with what I was aiming for. Problem is, I kinda need to get everything I wrote on it done in the timeframe I set. Hahahaaaaaaaahhhhhh.

Okay *deep breath* I did~
Watched muscles vid when I woke up + did a bio section on train to school + did school (4/5 periods full and lunch so my busiest day) + did another bio section in my free (I could have managed 2 but I haven't seen my friends over break and that's pretty important too, right?) + did a third bio section on the train home (target hit hoorah) + did 210 Anki flashcards in 65 minutes (it was a slog today, but I hit my target at least) + then started maths...
I had about an hour scheduled for maths. Turned out I did about 2 and didn't even finish. And then it was nine thirty and I tried to do a bit o English but Milton is hard enough to understand when you're fully present.

I'm really pleased with what I did today, but at the same time I haven't made half of my daily targets. Hopefully a less busy school day tomorrow will mean a better balance.
Reply 30
Original post by ozmo19
What were your AS UMS scores?

My AS UMS percentages were:
Bio-97%
Chem-90%
Maths-94%
Eng Lit-98%
(edited 8 years ago)

Impressive! Do you have any advice on how to prepare for the BMAT and any general advice for prospective Cambridge medicine applicants?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by WhyAlwaysMe?!
Impressive! Do you have any advice on how to prepare for the BMAT and any general advice for prospective Cambridge medicine applicants?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't really got any advice you haven't heard before, sorry, just search out & listen to all the advice on here & the rest of the internet (ie I did the Oxford TSA papers like it was suggested on here which I think really helped my BMAT S1 and went through the spec for S2) and also just work really hard. The only Cambridge specific thing I think I did even slightly differently to the 'work hard, get your application in on time and hope & pray for the best' was to answer their 'do you have any questions' with a question related to the interview which is a v specific thing and I don't even know for sure if it was a positive or negative thing but it is the only thing I can think of, sorry.
Reply 33
30 Days of Productivity ~ {9/30}
Okay productivity day today. Despite 2 frees in the morning I didn't get a lot done in them (my body has definitely not adjusted to school wake up calls yet). Things got better when I went home. I did some Anki flashcards and about half a chemistry study pack which was fab. I'd left the maths homework due for tomorrow until the very end, figuring that I would do it because I had to, but if I left chemistry to the end I'd probably give up and go to sleep. So that's how I ended up doing maths homework until a ridiculous time of night.
Reply 34
30 Days of Productivity ~ {10/30}
Staying up so late was a mistake. Tiredness saps at my motivation. I did some bits and pieces at school but really struggled when I got home, spending ages not doing my coursework prep and then having to stay up late again to actually finish it because it takes place tomorrow. I did read a bit of 'Junk DNA' which is better than nothing, but it was Not The Best.
Hiya all, I'm an A2 student with the following stats:

Subjects~
Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English Literature

Long Term Aims~
I've got an A*A*A offer for Cambridge that I'd really like to meet (or even exceed if at all possible). Right now I'm averaging C's across the board in my subjects so I need to step up my game a bit.

Short Term Goals~
I've got coursework, mock and Grade 8 Piano exam all happening next week, so preferably not failing them (with the focus on the CW and piano).

Plan?~
Erm, bye bye half term rest and hello work. Also, I've been feeling a bit ill recently, so also just looking after myself and making sure I get adequate sleep etc.

What degree do you want to do?
Reply 36
30 Days of Productivity ~ {11/30}

Again, being tired is not a good thing. I did work on the way to and at school (no internet means less chance to faff) so chemistry coursework + biology flashcards + I even went to maths surgery at lunch. I did think that the chemistry coursework went pretty well, which is good, and I got my Biology coursework mark back today which was 18/20 so pretty good but less than I was hoping for, so I signed up for the resit taking place next week. I kinda feel like every single mark really counts right now for me so I'll see what I can do.But when I got home I ended up watching YouTube and re-reading The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets (which is a fantastic book, it feels like nostalgia) and The Time Paradox (I love me a bit of Artemis Fowl) and doing literally nothing except about 100 flashcards. The worst part of it was that I didn't even utilise the time to go to bed early, I just spent literally hours saying that I would start working soon.
The only Cambridge specific thing I think I did even slightly differently to the 'work hard, get your application in on time and hope & pray for the best' was to answer their 'do you have any questions' with a question related to the interview which is a v specific thing and I don't even know for sure if it was a positive or negative thing but it is the only thing I can think of, sorry.

A lot of tutors hate that - interviews are very time pressured but every other kid thinks they need to ask a question to sound good. Can be very frustrating.
Reply 38
Original post by nexttime
A lot of tutors hate that - interviews are very time pressured but every other kid thinks they need to ask a question to sound good. Can be very frustrating.

Oh okay thanks, I didn't know-don't do that then haha. I guess I really have nothing other than the generic advice, sorry.
Reply 39
30 Days of Productivity ~ {12/30}

School bit was okay but at home my productivity was awful. I literally read some fiction for fun and did nothing else. Whyyyyyy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending