The Student Room Group

I'm an arts/media uni student with a graduate job AMA.

Hi all

So I thought that we could do some debunking about arts/media being an unemployable degree.

I'm just finishing my final year on a BA course and accepted a job offer before I've even left uni. I've studied Graphic Design and Multimedia.

So, AMA!

Scroll to see replies

job? pay? hours you'll work?
What did you do subject wise for A Levels what did you get?
Original post by gr8wizard10
job? pay? hours you'll work?

Project Administrator (i.e. The entry-level version of project manager). 17k with pay review after 3 months. 37.5 hours/wk.

Original post by Rhythmical
What did you do subject wise for A Levels what did you get?

I actually dropped out after AS levels. I got an A in Media, D in Business & U in Politics. :lol:
Original post by Roving Fish
Project Administrator (i.e. The entry-level version of project manager). 17k with pay review after 3 months. 37.5 hours/wk.

I actually dropped out after AS levels. I got an A in Media, D in Business & U in Politics. :lol:

So how did you get into uni?
So how did you get into uni?

Went to college and did OCR Nationals. Condensed a year and a half's worth of modules into one year so that I didn't fall behind with my year group.

(Media - 2 Distinctions, before you ask)
Went to college and did OCR Nationals. Condensed a year and a half's worth of modules into one year so that I didn't fall behind with my year group.

(Media - 2 Distinctions, before you ask)

Aw that is pretty cool. I am doing an OCR Cambridge Technical in Media at A Level and it can be demanding. I want to drop it but it is a bit late now so I'll carry on alongside my other subjects. Did you get any work experience before getting a job? I hear for a job in media it is valuable.
Aw that is pretty cool. I am doing an OCR Cambridge Technical in Media at A Level and it can be demanding. I want to drop it but it is a bit late now so I'll carry on alongside my other subjects. Did you get any work experience before getting a job? I hear for a job in media it is valuable.

I'd say it's more a creative industries job than media, it's an agency that build e-commerce stores for clients.

Yes, work experience is the make/break factor for getting a grad job. I've been extremely fortunate that I'm having to be selective with what goes on my CV. I've worked within my university's marketing department for the last year, at a supermarket for a few years before that, did a load of internships when I was living at home... 900 hours of volunteering while at uni. It all adds up and is something to talk about at the interview.
Reply 8

Graduate jobs start from 22k+, 17k is almost like min wage, project admin in which industry televiosn/media/newspapers? Anything media releated?
I'd say it's more a creative industries job than media, it's an agency that build e-commerce stores for clients.

Yes, work experience is the make/break factor for getting a grad job. I've been extremely fortunate that I'm having to be selective with what goes on my CV. I've worked within my university's marketing department for the last year, at a supermarket for a few years before that, did a load of internships when I was living at home... 900 hours of volunteering while at uni. It all adds up and is something to talk about at the interview.

Aw that is cool. I am going to work at a hospital radio to build my experience to get a job in the media industry. But I want to do an English degree, a lot of people have put me off a Media degree.
Reply 10
£17k is a good salary but at the lower end of the graduate wage scale. A lot depends on where the job is, you expect more if it was in London or the South East and if there are other benefits like profit share, private healthcare, subsidised lunch, free parking and membership of gyms and clubs.
Original post by lNurl
Graduate jobs start from 22k+, 17k is almost like min wage, project admin in which industry televiosn/media/newspapers? Anything media releated?

Are you a graduate? Third-year student? Have you seen the job market? :smile: My dissertation was all about this kind of thing and it's actually really quite rare to get 22k+ to start with.

None of the above. It's a digital agency that make web stores for some quite big clients.
Original post by Maker
£17k is a good salary but at the lower end of the graduate wage scale. A lot depends on where the job is, you expect more if it was in London or the South East and if there are other benefits like profit share, private healthcare, subsidised lunch, free parking and membership of gyms and clubs.

Birmingham. I wouldn't have taken below 21k for London. Also will go up to £19k and beyond quite quickly as the company grows.

Aw that is cool. I am going to work at a hospital radio to build my experience to get a job in the media industry. But I want to do an English degree, a lot of people have put me off a Media degree.

Do a joint honours if possible, then you've got a double edge for employability and still doing a degree with elements of what you might want to do in the future. Keep up the hospital radio stuff, as that'll be invaluable.
Birmingham. I wouldn't have taken below 21k for London. Also will go up to £19k and beyond quite quickly as the company grows.

Do a joint honours if possible, then you've got a double edge for employability and still doing a degree with elements of what you might want to do in the future. Keep up the hospital radio stuff, as that'll be invaluable.

I might look into it - although most of them are non RG unis and my dream is to go to UCL haha. And yeah I have a trial soon and then I do my own thing. That is how many people got their big break.
I might look into it - although most of them are non RG unis and my dream is to go to UCL haha. And yeah I have a trial soon and then I do my own thing. That is how many people got their big break.

Honestly, RG isn't everything. It doesn't mean a lot for your graduate employment prospects - especially if you're going to do media. Sometimes it actually can make you less employable as people will think you're using them as a stepping stone.
Reply 15
Are you a graduate? Third-year student? Have you seen the job market? :smile: My dissertation was all about this kind of thing and it's actually really quite rare to get 22k+ to start with.

None of the above. It's a digital agency that make web stores for some quite big clients.

Hmm I see, I graduated 2 years ago, did 6-7 months internship and got grad caliber job 25k salary (south east).

(I'll be honest, knowing 3 European languages fluently helped a lot)
Honestly, RG isn't everything. It doesn't mean a lot for your graduate employment prospects - especially if you're going to do media. Sometimes it actually can make you less employable as people will think you're using them as a stepping stone.

True but I don't know any decent RG unis that offer English and is one of their top subjects.
Original post by lNurl
Hmm I see, I graduated 2 years ago, did 6-7 months internship and got grad caliber job 25k salary (south east).

(I'll be honest, knowing 3 European languages fluently helped a lot)

I think that actually having a job in industry is worth more than the salary anyway. I'm happy to live off £1.2k take-home pay as it'll give me a lot more money per month than I've had before. Getting a nice flat still.

One thing that grads, or third-years forget is that the industry want industry experience. A lot will go home to find themselves a bit more and work a retail job, which isn't really that helpful in getting them a job in their field. :beard:

True but I don't know any decent RG unis that offer English and is one of their top subjects.

Remember that you need to ensure that you're happy about the course. There are a few articles on TSR that you should read before you make choices for uni. I can dig out some reading for you if you want. :smile:
Reply 18

I think you did good, loads of graduates are struggling to even get a job, even shock horror, STEM graduates. I think career progression is much more important than salary at the start of your career. If you are good, you can progress very quickly and get promotions or a better job.
I think that actually having a job in industry is worth more than the salary anyway. I'm happy to live off £1.2k take-home pay as it'll give me a lot more money per month than I've had before. Getting a nice flat still.

One thing that grads, or third-years forget is that the industry want industry experience. A lot will go home to find themselves a bit more and work a retail job, which isn't really that helpful in getting them a job in their field. :beard:

Remember that you need to ensure that you're happy about the course. There are a few articles on TSR that you should read before you make choices for uni. I can dig out some reading for you if you want. :smile:

I would rather do English than Media, I prefer it at A Level and could you? Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest