The Student Room Group

Is granola, yogurt, and fresh fruit a healthy breakfast?

Is it better than crunchy nut cornflakes?

Scroll to see replies

yes 100x better
Original post by SuperHuman98
yes 100x better

But I still feel bloated.

Surely no breakfast at all would have been less calories?
Reply 3
Yes, but granola itself isn't the most healthy thing you could have. It's actually filled with sugar.

You could improve that by having some fruit, say a punnet of strawberries, fat free low sugar yoghurt (around 250g) and a tablespoon of a seed/grain mix. I have one with contains chia, flax, sunflower seeds, goji berries etc. It is ground up and actually tastes similar to granola but is much healthier.

This type of breakfast is great, since it provides you with a good amount of protein, with low levels of sugar and fat, as well as lots of micronutrients and vitamins.

Edit: this is the mix I was referring to http://www.linwoodshealthfoods.com/uk/shop/milled-flaxseed-sunflower-pumpkin-and-sesame-seeds-and-goji-berries.html
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel

In such case, maybe you should read this thread:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4023279

Google 'intermittent fasting 16:8' and read my article, I believe it is the first or second result.
Tastier, too. :u:

Yes, but then, nothing is always going to have less calories. You need breakfast (for your metabolism to stay in a good working order, to mantain a good energy level throughout the day, etc) - this kind of breakfast is better for you than alternatives.
Original post by acupofgreentea
Tastier, too. :u:

Yes, but then, nothing is always going to have less calories. You need breakfast (for your metabolism to stay in a good working order, to mantain a good energy level throughout the day, etc) - this kind of breakfast is better for you than alternatives.

I work evenings, and don't get home until gone midnight, which means I can't eat dinner.

Therefore I prioritise a big lunch around noon to keep me feeling energetic. I don't eat breakfast (until I started today).

Are you saying I should eat breakfast and skip lunch instead?
Reply 7
I work evenings, and don't get home until gone midnight, which means I can't eat dinner.

Therefore I prioritise a big lunch around noon to keep me feeling energetic. I don't eat breakfast (until I started today).

Are you saying I should eat breakfast and skip lunch instead?

Do not eat breakfast and skip lunch. You need lunch, or at least a meal around midday. You don't actually need breakfast.
Original post by isambard kingdom brunel
is it better than crunchy nut cornflakes?

you are no man!
A true man is a cave man and a cave man eats meat!!
Leave us herbivore
Reply 9
Better than CN for sure.

But not that healthy. Be wary of the sugar content in granola and yoghurt.

:wink:
Original post by stefano865
Better than CN for sure.

I am buying 0% fat Greek Style Yogurt from Tesco (but yeah it does have quite high sugar still).

Anyone got any suggestions for a better kind of lower-sugar yogurt?
Original post by .JC.
Do not eat breakfast and skip lunch. You need lunch, or at least a meal around midday. You don't actually need breakfast.

That's what I have been thinking for years, but bread bloats me out too much (plus cheese) so I am thinking of giving it up.
Reply 12
Original post by stefano865
Better than CN for sure.

These are my 2 favourite yoghurts

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=268279288
http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=287960541

Fat free, very very low in carbs/sugar, high in protein. They are both so thick they genuinely taste better than regular yoghurt filled with fat and sugar. Skyr is my favourite, the honeycomb flavour actually has a little more sugar in but by god is it delicious. It's really unlike normal Greek style yoghurt, you should try it.

The fresh fruit and granola will act as long lasting carbohydrates so you will have energy to be productive for the day. If you feel bloated maybe should have had a smaller portion.
Reply 14
That's what I have been thinking for years, but bread bloats me out too much (plus cheese) so I am thinking of giving it up.

I wouldn't advocate having either of those at lunch, they're not really the best for you nutritionally. Bread is high in simple sugars and cheese is high in saturated fat. Those are 2 things you want to be avoiding really.

If you're interested in more nutritional advice etc. in detail, PM me. Recently I've been making plans for people, some on here, from workout routines to meal plans.
x

At what point did I say this?

You did not specify your working scheduele in the OP or the other post you made. I responded under the assumption you were able to have all three meals and you were merely suggesting skipping breakfast due to the lack of it meaning less calories (which was what the little information in your post inferred).

What you state here has nothing to do with calories, it has to do with lack of convenient times. In this case, it would seem you'd have to compromise and lunch would seem of more importance if you had to choose one.
Reply 16
Original post by SuperHuman98
The fresh fruit and granola will act as long lasting carbohydrates so you will have energy to be productive for the day. If you feel bloated maybe should have had a smaller portion.

The carbohydrates in fruit are simple sugars, albeit natural unrefined ones. In granola however it is just glucose.

They both burn off quite quickly so don't actually give you a sustained amount of energy. Fruit is good as a snack but not really as a meal. It's still a healthy breakfast, though I myself don't eat breakfast.
Original post by .JC.
I wouldn't advocate having either of those at lunch, they're not really the best for you nutritionally. Bread is high in simple sugars and cheese is high in saturated fat. Those are 2 things you want to be avoiding really.

If you're interested in more nutritional advice etc. in detail, PM me. Recently I've been making plans for people, some on here, from workout routines to meal plans.

I'll keep that in mind. Would be a good value to me. :smile:
Fruit is very sugary, I'm realising this now (as I tend to have quite a bit of it in smoothies etc). It's a great option to have with breakfast (don't eat too much and try to avoid fruit juices) but as JC said, it doesn't tend to provide energy that lasts throughout the day.

Edit: A lot of things are better than cereal.
(edited 7 years ago)
Instead, why don't you try an omelette, with a fruit salad with a smoothie. They are all really healthy and fill you up for the rest of the day until dinner.

Quick Reply

Latest