The Student Room Group

Official (Unofficial) 2016 Spring Week Uni Statistics

Hi there guys.

So my friends have been very kind as to reveal the profile books for the spring weeks they attended, and I've managed to tally up the number of times each university showed up.

This data is based off of the profile books/attendent lists at the following firms: JPM (Markets), BAML, Nomura, BP IST, CS and Lazard. Obviously, this is partial data (only c.37.5% of all SWs) and not a complete representation of all 16 or so spring weeks, but it gives us a rough idea.

Frequency-Institution-(% of total)
29 LSE (15.4%)
27 Warwick (14.4%)
20 Imperial (10.6%)
20 UCL (10.6%)
19 Oxford (10.1%)
17 Cambridge (9%)

Targets - 70.1%

9 Notts (4.8%)
8 Durham (4.3%)
6 KCL (3.2%)
5 Bristol (2.7%)

(Strong) Semi Targets - 15.3%

4 Edinburgh (2.1%)
4 Cass (2.1%)
3 Manchester (1.6%)
3 Exeter (1.6%)
2 St Andrews (1.1%)

Other Semi Targets - 8.5%

3 Leeds (1.6%)
2 Sheffield (1.1%)
2 Birmingham (1.1%)
1 Southampton (0.5%)
1 Lancaster (0.5%)
1 BPP Law School (0.5%)
1 Glasgow (0.5%)
1 DMU (0.5%)

Non Targets - 6.3%

n = 188

N.B. This is for front office only.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Princepieman

x

Thanks for putting the effort into making this! Very helpful
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Trapz99
Thanks for putting the effort into making this! Very helpful

No problem dude! I wish I had info from all the spring weeks though, would have been more accurate.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Investmentbankingspringinterns2015/members/
From the 2015 facebook group:

96 Warwick
53 LSE
47 UCL
22 Bristol
21 Cambridge
15 Southampton
13 Imperial
13 Cass
11 Durham
11 Exeter
9 Oxford
6 Manchester
5 Edinburgh
5 Birmingham
5 Glasgow
4 Nottingham
3 St Andrews
2 Lancaster
1 Leeds

Obviously this will be highly inaccurate as not everyone displays their uni on fb, still worth showing though.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
No problem dude! I wish I had info from all the spring weeks though, would have been more accurate.

For BP IS&T, was there a similar pattern of most interns coming from target unis or was it more equally distributed between target, semi targets and non targets?
Original post by Terry Tibbs

96 Warwick
53 LSE
47 UCL
22 Bristol
21 Cambridge
15 Southampton
13 Imperial
13 Cass
11 Durham
11 Exeter
9 Oxford
6 Manchester
5 Edinburgh
5 Birmingham
5 Glasgow
4 Nottingham
3 St Andrews
2 Lancaster
1 Leeds

Obviously this will be highly inaccurate as not everyone displays their uni on fb, still worth showing though.

Looks quite inaccurate imo. I have scattered stats for 2013-2015, and generally the targets are quite consistent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trapz99
For BP IS&T, was there a similar pattern of most interns coming from target unis or was it more equally distributed between target, semi targets and non targets?

I'll just dump it:

BP IST
3 - Notts
2 - LSE, Oxford
1 - UCL, Warwick, Manchester, Cambridge

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I'll just dump it:

BP IST
3 - Notts
2 - LSE, Oxford
1 - UCL, Warwick, Manchester, Cambridge

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks again
Looks quite inaccurate imo. I have scattered stats for 2013-2015, and generally the targets are quite consistent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hence why I said it is inaccurate (at least in terms of ranking), however it does for example show that quite a large amount from Southampton managed to get a spring week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hence why I said it is inaccurate (at least in terms of ranking), however it does for example show that quite a large amount from Southampton managed to get a spring week.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If the data was complete, I think Southampton would still scale towards the 1-2% mark.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm surprised Bath hasn't shown up once
Original post by Daniel9998
I'm surprised Bath hasn't shown up once

They do, I just don't have data for all SWs. A quick browse of my LinkedIn network shows quite a few at GS, MS, Barc and Roths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
x .

Not surprised, places like LSE and Warwick have ridiculously large finance societies and have an upper hand when it comes to SWs
Original post by ULT
Not surprised, places like LSE and Warwick have ridiculously large finance societies and have an upper hand when it comes to SWs

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. It's interesting though how Oxbridge is lower even though their finance socieities are pretty strong.
Reply 14

96 Warwick
53 LSE
47 UCL
22 Bristol
21 Cambridge
15 Southampton
13 Imperial
13 Cass
11 Durham
11 Exeter
9 Oxford
6 Manchester
5 Edinburgh
5 Birmingham
5 Glasgow
4 Nottingham
3 St Andrews
2 Lancaster
1 Leeds

That Facebook group is BS, really wouldn't attach anything to it. I'm on it myself and there are a tonne of people on it who didn't do any SWs but joined it nonetheless. It is unsurprising that Warwick has the most members in it given it was created by people at Warwick. It is a useless arbiter.

Linkedin is probably the best method to check aside from getting the actual class books from those on SWs.
Reply 15
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. It's interesting though how Oxbridge is lower even though their finance socieities are pretty strong.

hmm yeahh, surprised about that too. They probably go to the more exclusive SWs like Jane street or something idk

But places like UCL, Warwick, and LSE would certainly sweep up the SW opportunities, considering many go there with the intent of a career in finance.

Which then leads me to question how Imperial seem to be so high too lol

Maybe Oxbridge students tend to be more academic rather than career focused so don't really apply for Spring weeks, just for summer internships after they've figured out what they want to do. On the other hand, everyone in my school last year who went to LSE and most that went to UCL wanted to get to IB.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ULT
hmm yeahh, surprised about that too. They probably go to the more exclusive SWs like Jane street or something idk

But places like UCL, Warwick, and LSE would certainly sweep up the SW opportunities, considering many go there with the intent of a career in finance.

Which then leads me to question how Imperial seem to be so high too lol

It's probably the maths students there who are focused more on IB and Imperial has a pretty big maths department.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Trapz99
It's probably the maths students there who are focused more on IB and Imperial has a pretty ig maths department.

Yeah i thought that too but I thought they would be more interested in quant roles or hedge funds or S&T where their mathematical ability is more revered.

Maybe that is the case here
Original post by ULT
Yeah i thought that too but I thought they would be more interested in quant roles or hedge funds or S&T where their mathematical ability is more revered.

Maybe that is the case here

Quant roles require a PhD though so most people won't be interested. A lot of maths graduates go to IBD and other non-mathsy roles like management consulting and accounting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending