The Student Room Group

Please help. I just attacked my mother.

Scroll to see replies

Plot Twist, OP thinks their Mum is the dog because they are actually the schizophrenic! On a more serious note, don't get social services involved. Give your Mum space and ask your Grandparents for advice, not people on TSR.
Reply 221
Shouldn't have kicked her but I understand why you did. Just apologise and I hope that the dog is ok.

She didn't support you and your needs(allowing your brother to take the dog out unsupervised) however violence isn't the answer.
Reply 222
Original post by mariam687
yh but look what the mother has been through.. to raise u etc
he/she should take the dog to the vets but mum but mum is more important.

She completely neglected one of her sons needs when it was clear that the brother has a violent history. I'd be pretty annoyed with my mother if that were to happen to me. You can't really blame the brother since he has a mental condition but it was a clear case of neglect of an animal and of something of a lot of importance.

All I need to say is that if this was anybody but the mother who allowed this people would have justified hitting the person so clearly what happened was something serious.

Original post by Wimbs
Your mother is stuck between a rock and a hard place with your brother, being her own flesh and blood it is understandable if she is 'protecting him' from being institutionalised or punished for what he is doing. However, causing your own pet dog to bleed and causing it to become lame is unacceptable, even when perpetrated by someone with a terrible mental illness such as schizophrenia and what is to say that your brother wont cause one of you to bleed and break someone's legs? Perhaps your brother needs the police/RSPCA to witness the results of his handiwork.

You should not have kicked your mother, although your response is an understandable (if misguided) action to the event. Unfortunately, violence can breed violence, and living in a household with violence can 'normalise' violence. It is good that you regret your actions and see that it is wrong. You do need to make it up to your mother and try not to do it again, however you need to be verbally assertive and state that you cannot stand by and accept animal abuse. You do need to accept that your mother is in a difficult position with your brother though!

The obvious thing is to not let him go unsupervised with an animal or anything that really needs to be in tender care.

When you are taking care of somebody with mental health issues precautions needs to be made so that the person is not a danger to themselves and the community and that any risk he is to himself and the community is minimized. Clearly she has failed in that sense. But this is an amalgamation of mistakes, he needs to apologise that he hit his mother, she also has to apologise for neglecting the dog and both of her sons.

The fact that people are suggesting to call social services shows it's an absolute mess anyway.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by joecphillips

So if he had hit his father this would be different?

Obviously, yes.

That would still be awful, but this is worse.
Ok main thing is don't panic we all do things in spur of the moment and regret it afterward in your case, what you did is honestly what others would have done. The bond between a child and a mother is so precious and forgiveness is a big part of that so I'm sure she will forgive you and to show her your forgiveness you should try and directly talk to her as that is one of the best forms of communication. Explain to her how you felt and try and fix this bond between you two and if she refuses to talk keep trying to approach her and be resilient, I am sure you will be fine. From a religious perception if you cannot forgive anyone how do you expect God to forgive you. But don't forget your mother will be the most precious person in your life!
If she's so caring, why did she let her mentally ill son who hurt the dog and family in the past take out a dog?
Original post by ForgetMe
If she's so caring, why did she let her mentally ill son who hurt the dog and family in the past take out a dog?

It's hard for a mother with a mentally ill son and from what this person is saying they feel really bad and knows what he did was wrong because she does care for him if you read the post
Original post by bammy jastard 27
You can't really blame the brother since he has a mental condition but it was a clear case of neglect of an animal and of something of a lot of importance.

Some people in this thread would do well to read your comment. My dad has schizophrenia and I can actually relate to the OP.

Some of the comments are just shameful no understanding shown for someone with a serious mental illness.
Original post by TSRFT8
I cant believe what im reading on this thread. Some of you sad acts really need to sort your priorities out.

How can someone say to take the dog to the vets before speaking to your own mother, is that really how low some of you have been brought up that you care more about a dog than someone who brought you into this world?

Also someone saying to report the brother. The guy has a ****ing disability you complete bellend, how on earth can you report your own brother for the sake of a animal.

@mariam687 Please dont feel bad about what you said, infact i could not agree more. Your mum is lucky to have you :smile:

Mother is not injured and a little upset whereas dog is injured and in a lot of pain, for you to dismiss that is just unforgivable. I know my mother would never let anyone who's mentally ill nowhere near my pets but if she did that, I wouldn't kick her but really start questioning if she's really worth trusting.

Why do I feel like you're making it like dog's life is not so important :erm:

I really dislike people who think they are superior to pets when both are living creatures! So, imagine yourself in such situation, would you let your pet suffer whilst you were apologising to your mother? :facepalm: If yes, then I hope you never get pets because I do feel sorry for having such owner :sad:
Original post by studyranger
It's hard for a mother with a mentally ill son and from what this person is saying they feel really bad and knows what he did was wrong because she does care for him if you read the post

Erm, I did read it :facepalm: But if she's a mother, she should have known that her ill son could repeat his past violence outbreak and seriously who the hell let's a child out without supervision, it is dangerous for both people around and the ill child. How many of you would let their mentally ill child go out all alone? I doubt any.. If I had a child who had mental illness, I would NEVER let him/her go anywhere alone, I'd be scared that something could happen to him/her or that they would do something to someone else.

Original post by JohnGreek
She isn't, and she definitely needs to re-evaluate the permissions she gives to her sons, but I think that most of us can agree that this doesn't warrant the guy kicking her.

Neither of these parties did anything good.
(edited 8 years ago)
I doubt any.. If I had a child who had mental illness, I would NEVER let him/her go anywhere alone, I'd be scared that something could happen to him/her or that they would do something to someone else.

Yeah, you'd be the model parent, I'm sure. Absolutely flawless.

The narcissism in declaring what 'you would do' in a stressful situation on which you have very little information is painful.
(edited 8 years ago)
Call child services. Theyd help u solve ur disputes
Original post by joecphillips
It's obvious he loves the dog like a member of his family and can do stupid things when family members are abused.

So if he had hit his father this would be different?

Nobody is disputing his love for the dog or that he has indeed been stupid in using violence against his mother.

If hed kicked his father, it would still have crossed the line, but depending on the size and how well built he was, then the disparity might not have been so great.
Anyway hope the dog is ok and he's patched it up with his mum rather than the alternatives.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi I'm sort of in shock at the moment. Sorry it's a long story but if you have any advice or comments I appreciate it.

My parents let my extremely aggressive schizophrenic brother take my elderly dog out. He has attacked her (and us) before and I've told my parents not to let him take her because his history. They let him take her anyway and when he returned hours later she was covered in some kind of gross sticky liquid and was dragging both her legs behind her one of which was covered in blood. My brother admitted she got in his way so he kicked her but he has obviously done much worse. She also refuses to eat anything, which is completely unlike her. When she came back in such a horrific state I asked my parents to do something like challenge him as to what exactly he did and to take her to the vet. They didn't care whatsoever and were more concerned with defendeding my brother because he's "mentally unwell". So I just snapped and kicked my mother twice as hard as I could asking her how she likes it. She looked at me in horror then started crying and I noticed two massive bruises come up within seconds.

I instantly regretted doing it and feel really guilty for causing my mum pain as I've never had an argument with her in all my 18 years. She's my best friend and I can't believe I did this. The other day I was violently ill and she took care of me all day and night even taking the day off of work.

My parents just left the house with my mum crying as she left. I feel so upset and guilty? How to I make this up to her? I know she feels incredibly betrayed by my violence.

PS I have phoned the emergency vets who advised me to monitor the dog until my parents come back and then try and bring her in later if she is still lame and/or not eating

Dude , it was purely your instinct once your saw the dog in that state. Should of swore instead but I guess some people are different.

Just get her something nice and apologise , and also tell her how you feel ! Cos that animal has feelings too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 235
Another element to this is no wonder your poor mother looked at you with horror when you kicked her! She is (was?) probably thankful she has a 'normal' non-violent son and this action adds an unnecessary worry to her plate. As much as it is unfair on you as well to have to witness such animal cruelty, you need to be part of the solution and not another problem! You need to show you are fully aware that violence is the wrong path for you to take as well. However, your brother needs 'dealing with,' his actions IMO have gone beyond the point where he should just be 'protected' at home as he is a danger to others. He is not entirely 'culpable' though because schizophrenia CAN make peopel do terrible things because their brain is 'not wired up correctly.'
Original post by Wimbs
Another element to this is no wonder your poor mother looked at you with horror when you kicked her! She is (was?) probably thankful she has a 'normal' non-violent son and this action adds an unnecessary worry to her plate. As much as it is unfair on you as well to have to witness such animal cruelty, you need to be part of the solution and not another problem! You need to show you are fully aware that violence is the wrong path for you to take as well. However, your brother needs 'dealing with,' his actions IMO have gone beyond the point where he should just be 'protected' at home as he is a danger to others. He is not entirely 'culpable' though because schizophrenia CAN make peopel do terrible things because their brain is 'not wired up correctly.'

Absolutely. From her perspective she now has two problem children to deal with. She will be fearful it will happen again.

Hope the dog is stable. better? Plus have you had a chance to talk to your mum yet?
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Western first world folk tend to have a healthy love of animals..we love them and protect them as good human beings should. Not sure where you are from but i guess a different part of the world or from a non western culture/background

im from the UK :smile:

lmao
Mother is not injured and a little upset whereas dog is injured and in a lot of pain, for you to dismiss that is just unforgivable. I know my mother would never let anyone who's mentally ill nowhere near my pets but if she did that, I wouldn't kick her but really start questioning if she's really worth trusting.

Why do I feel like you're making it like dog's life is not so important :erm:

I really dislike people who think they are superior to pets when both are living creatures! So, imagine yourself in such situation, would you let your pet suffer whilst you were apologising to your mother? :facepalm: If yes, then I hope you never get pets because I do feel sorry for having such owner :sad:

I can't rate you again but completely agree with this and pretty much everything you've said
Original post by mariam687
im from the UK :smile:

lmao

When people ask where you are from, they really mean which culture do you belong to. Just because someone is born at the North Pole, it doesn't make them an Eskimo.

Anyway, I don't think culture is relevant here, since I think we all agree that violence is wrong whether it is directed at humans or animals and there's no point trying to make a 'hierarchy'. The OP's mother did something very wrong by neglecting the animal in this way (in fact I don't think she should be allowed to have animals at all if she doesn't understand that letting an animal be alone with an unstable person with a history of aggression is not only neglect but bordering on illegal). But that doesn't warrant attacking her. Still, I agree with the above advice to apologise, maybe buy her flowers and make her know how sorry you are, and explain to her that what she did was not acceptable.

As for the brother, just make sure he is not left alone with any pets again. Someone who can do that to an animal is usually the kind of person who would do the same to a human given the right circumstances so be careful, it's probably worth mentioning this to his doctor.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending