The Student Room Group

NHS Scientist Training Programme 2016 applicants!

Scroll to see replies

Congratulations to everyone who got through this week of interviews :smile: And good luck with the revision for those left to go!
Reply 1021
To anyone who's already been -- am I correct in assuming we can use the stadium's car park?

Gaaaah I'm dreading this.
Reply 1022
Oh my goodness, is everyone else really stressed out? Still got over a week to stew over it all for vascular!

I know it is really jumping the gun, but does anyone know how the upgrades on location work?

In good conscience I can't make my children move schools and go through the nightmare of selling our home so have only one trust I can realistically work for. So when faced with the odds of getting a place only being 1/4, without considering the location restriction, I am wondering if I should save myself the stress and bail out now so that someone else can have a shot at the interviews. So difficult to know what to do for the best!

Good luck everyone having interviews this week :-)
Reply 1023
Also, does anyone know the prospects of employment after the three years training post, especially in the smaller specialties?

Was thinking that maybe for vascular, as a back up plan the registration with the HCPC might allow entry into a general ultrasound training post if there aren't any vascular jobs at the time? Does anyone know if that would be a viable option or if that would only be open to radiography HCPC registrants? Thank you
Reply 1024
Original post by Ila10
Oh my goodness, is everyone else really stressed out? Still got over a week to stew over it all for vascular!

I know it is really jumping the gun, but does anyone know how the upgrades on location work?

In good conscience I can't make my children move schools and go through the nightmare of selling our home so have only one trust I can realistically work for. So when faced with the odds of getting a place only being 1/4, without considering the location restriction, I am wondering if I should save myself the stress and bail out now so that someone else can have a shot at the interviews. So difficult to know what to do for the best!

Good luck everyone having interviews this week :-)

You're scored during the interview and then they work down the list from the highest scorer and allocate locations like that. Basically a higher score at interview = higher chance you'll get the place you want. Obviously also the number of spaces in each location will factor in because they won't run out as quickly.
Reply 1025
Original post by k3ro
You're scored during the interview and then they work down the list from the highest scorer and allocate locations like that. Basically a higher score at interview = higher chance you'll get the place you want. Obviously also the number of spaces in each location will factor in because they won't run out as quickly.

Thank you for your reply. Sorry I wasn't very clear, I just remember reading on last years thread something about offer locations changing if you opt into upgrades, and wondered how that process works. Is it if someone ranked higher than you declines a place you have the potential to accept their location offer instead?
Original post by Ila10
Thank you for your reply. Sorry I wasn't very clear, I just remember reading on last years thread something about offer locations changing if you opt into upgrades, and wondered how that process works. Is it if someone ranked higher than you declines a place you have the potential to accept their location offer instead?

That's how it works :smile: I initially got my 2nd choice last year, but got upgraded to my first choice at the last minute. I know that last year you were able to hold an offer without accepting it for a certain amount of time and opt in for upgrades.
Original post by Ila10
x

There is a link out that explains the whole upgrading process here:
http://www.nshcs.org.uk/images/recruitment/STP_Offers_guidance_Release_2.0.pdf

You should still go to interview, you've come this far! Who knows, maybe your location choice will not be the same as what others want. Also, the odds at interview are 1/3 not 1/4, so a bit better than you thought :smile: Good luck!
Original post by k3ro
To anyone who's already been -- am I correct in assuming we can use the stadium's car park?

Gaaaah I'm dreading this.

Yes, there are plenty of spaces and the parking is free. Good luck!
Reply 1029
Original post by BlueSheep32
That's how it works :smile: I initially got my 2nd choice last year, but got upgraded to my first choice at the last minute. I know that last year you were able to hold an offer without accepting it for a certain amount of time and opt in for upgrades.

Original post by stp2015
There is a link out that explains the whole upgrading process here:
http://www.nshcs.org.uk/images/recruitment/STP_Offers_guidance_Release_2.0.pdf

You should still go to interview, you've come this far! Who knows, maybe your location choice will not be the same as what others want. Also, the odds at interview are 1/3 not 1/4, so a bit better than you thought :smile: Good luck!

Ahh, brilliant, thank you :-)
Reply 1030
Hey guys, i have my interview on Tuesday. Wanted to know from those who have already had their interview, did you shake the interviewers hands? Because a current student told me that you weren't required to do so. So can someone reply please? Thank you
Original post by yelm
Hey guys, i have my interview on Tuesday. Wanted to know from those who have already had their interview, did you shake the interviewers hands? Because a current student told me that you weren't required to do so. So can someone reply please? Thank you

Hey. It is honestly up to you, if you'd like to then do, but you are definitely not expected to, they didn't put their hand out or anything. I would be extremely surprised if the interviewers put any basis on whether you shook their hand or not. Just do whatever you would do naturally :smile:
Original post by Nightwing_
Hey. It is honestly up to you, if you'd like to then do, but you are definitely not expected to, they didn't put their hand out or anything. I would be extremely surprised if the interviewers put any basis on whether you shook their hand or not. Just do whatever you would do naturally :smile:

Be careful with giving people this advice as part of the interview score is from communication. Even though shaking the interviewer's hand is optional and a small thing, I'd say do everything you can to maximise your scores, and that's one very simple thing that could go a long way. Even if they don't put out their hand, put yours out to introduce yourself. Also make sure you make eye contact with the interviewers when speaking to them. Again, obvious & simple, but you want to do as well as possible! They're looking to see if you're the kind of person they'd want to employ.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BlueSheep32
Be careful with giving people this advice as part of the interview score is from communication. Even though shaking the interviewer's hand is optional and a small thing, I'd say do everything you can to maximise your scores, and that's one very simple thing that could go a long way. Even if they don't put out their hand, put yours out to introduce yourself. Also make sure you make eye contact with the interviewers when speaking to them. Again, obvious & simple, but you want to do as well as possible! They're looking to see if you're the kind of person they'd want to employ.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok, I can see the basis for your opinion. I'm also fully aware some of the marks are based on communication, so you are definitely right about making eye contact, being friendly and professional. However if the OP feels strongly enough about hand shaking to ask on here, one might assume that they are maybe anxious about doing this. I was just trying to put them at ease as it is most definitely not essential to the interview, in my view. Telling someone they really should shake someone's hand could possibly cause unnecessary anxiety which could be detrimental to the overall interview.
Original post by Nightwing_
Ok, I can see the basis for your opinion. I'm also fully aware some of the marks are based on communication, so you are definitely right about making eye contact, being friendly and professional. However if the OP feels strongly enough about hand shaking to ask on here, one might assume that they are maybe anxious about doing this. I was just trying to put them at ease as it is most definitely not essential to the interview, in my view. Telling someone they really should shake someone's hand could possibly cause unnecessary anxiety which could be detrimental to the overall interview.

No, it's not essential, but to be honest shaking hands with them actually put me at ease because I think just sitting down without doing it and introducing myself properly would have made me feel awkward. I'm just saying it's a very simple gesture that can go a long way, and I was told that by all of the people I went to for advice on the interview.

If you do feel anxious about shaking hands with the interviewers OP then that's OK, don't do it, but I think it is quite a good thing to do if you can.
I've seen this asked a few times but haven't seen an answer yet, where are you guys parking?

Also, am I understanding correctly that the day consists of 4, 10 minute interviews with breaks of a couple of minutes between them. My email said to allow 4 hours for the day, but I can't understand why it would take so long. Have peoples interviews started on time?

Cheers
Original post by carranty
I've seen this asked a few times but haven't seen an answer yet, where are you guys parking?

Also, am I understanding correctly that the day consists of 4, 10 minute interviews with breaks of a couple of minutes between them. My email said to allow 4 hours for the day, but I can't understand why it would take so long. Have peoples interviews started on time?

Cheers

Hey. I didn't park, but have seen people say they parked at the stadium, there was a large carpark with plenty of space right in front of the entrance, so probably a good idea.

You are exactly correct to think that is what the day consists of and you are free to go immediately afterwards. I think I got there maybe an hour before the interview and left straight after, so was there 2 hours maximum. They like you to be there at least 20 mins beforehand as they give you a brief explanation of what happens and you also have to register, so I would give it half an hour, any more than that and you'll be sat waiting. But there is a large waiting room with others there and plenty of water to drink so if you are early it's not too bad.

p.s. yes as far as I could tell they kept pretty much to time, the interviews are strictly not allowed to run over so this should never be a problem unless there is some sort of unforeseen circumstance
(edited 8 years ago)
Does anyone know what the clinical engineering programme is like?
did my interview yesterday for med phys. It went bad :frown: all my hopes for this year are gone. Best of luck to all with their interviews.
Original post by sharpsri
did my interview yesterday for med phys. It went bad :frown: all my hopes for this year are gone. Best of luck to all with their interviews.

It's not over until it's over!! I've heard people say they did badly in interviews so many times and still got the job and med phys has the most places, you're still in with a chance!

Quick Reply

Latest