The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Sturridge really should be finishing that.

Delicate chip but you have to get that on target. Let's hope we don't regret it.
Joe Allen has been absolutely unreal today. He seems unable to do wrong the way he's playing right now.

So many interceptions, such accuracy in passing and you can tell how much desire he has by his ability to win balls in the air he has no right to.

If we don't give him a new contract, I'll be so pissed.
King 2-1

Great volley to be honest, shame that Ward loses his CS.
We almost bottled a 2 goal lead in 1 minute...

FT 2-1 - just about did enough.
Disappointed Ward didn't get a clean sheet but I'll take that :smile:
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Disappointed Ward didn't get a clean sheet but I'll take that :smile:

Ward was magnificent today in all honesty.
He had one or two scares but all in all he made several great saves and definitely did himself no harm in his long term prospects.

Allen MOTM for me. So so tidy and did everything right. Get that man a contract.
2 points off 6th with a game in hand, our remaining fixtures aren't exactly tortuous either (couple of tricky ones maybe).

Original post by Lúcio
Ward was magnificent today in all honesty.
He had one or two scares but all in all he made several great saves and definitely did himself no harm in his long term prospects.

Allen MOTM for me. So so tidy and did everything right. Get that man a contract.

Probably secured his place above Bogdan in the GK order.
Not a great finish but we held out for the win with a lot of changes made in the team with the youth so can't ask for more than that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6608
Had an end of season feel to it.. no surprise really when Bournemouth are safe and we're showing our priorities are elsewhere by changing our entire line-up. Can't complain with another win.

Firmino and Sturridge were far from the best once again particularly between the boxes, but they were in the right places at the right time, and you can't argue with their goalscoring records of late.

Everyone else did their job well enough, Allen being the stand out player.

Ojo needs some of that weight training that Origi has been doing.

Ward was fine for the most part, but corners and crosses do seem to be a particular concern for him. Seen him miss a couple when watching U21's highlights as well.

Lucas was beaten to the ball far too easily for their goal, I don't think he is much more than a short term option for us at CB.
Our hardest games in the PL left so far are Everton, Chelsea and Newcastle (fighting to get out of relegation), they are all at Anfield fortunately and the former two are not in great form. West Ham and United are yet to play each other and the latter still has Leicester. We are on course for a top 6 place finish, if not we have to hope United don't bottle their FA cup run to still get that EL place for 7th.
(edited 8 years ago)
Origi with a knock at the back, Toure with a muscular problem. Hopefully not too serious for Origi but Toure more serious says Klopp.
After coming into the round of last four in Europa League, I would not begrudge Klopp, if he wins the trophy in this competition. That would be a good start in his career as a Liverpool coach. And a team who is able to kick the second best German team in this season out has good chances to win.
You can't turn your nose up at that. To make ten changes and win at Bournemouth - where teams above us in the table this season have struggled getting points - is good going.

You've got to give the debutants credit. We isolated Josh King, not allowing Bournemouth to feed him. I was impressed by Grabban and Pugh for Bournemouth, but we were calm and collected and I felt Randall did a really good job of neutralising the threat of Gradel. I felt Bournemouth grew into the game once Kolo Toure was removed. He seemed to bring solidity and a calmness to our defence, which we lacked once he was withdrew.

I felt Danny Ward deserved a clean sheet - so much so, I was really annoyed when we conceded. That's a real positive for me. I used to get like that with Reina. He was such a good presence in between the sticks, if we'd concede late on in a 3-1 or 2-1 victory to deny him a clean sheet, I was really disgruntled. That's how I felt today. I've never felt that about Mignolet. He held everything well, made good stops. We need to be wary that it was his debut, though. We've seen players in the past show fearlessness on their debuts and impress, but given a longer run in the team, we need to be wary that he could make mistakes. Regardless, he looks a prospect.

Randall is probably the only one of the Academy graduates I'm unsure about. I felt he grew into the game after early nervousness. I wonder what he'd be like in our first-choice defence, with Lovren/Sakho beside him. Brad Smith, on the other flank, was quite similar: probably guilty of an over-eagerness in the opening stages, before shining as the game progressed. He is definitely a squad option for left-back, though. Games like today are ideal.

Joe Allen was imperious in the centre of the midfield, I felt. Maybe that's me being biased because I bloody love the man, but I felt he played really well in retaining possession, winning the ball back and linking the phases of play. His quality in the centre of the park - along with the growth of Can, arrival of Grujic and dependence of Milner - makes me think Lucas will leave in the summer. I wouldn't sell him, given the fact he's a club stalwart and is great for team bonding and morale off the pitch by all accounts, but he isn't a long-term solution anywhere on the pitch, which makes me think Klopp will cut him dry.

Other positives were Ibe and Ojo - it was great to see the former react after a spell out of the team. I worry for his future, to be honest, with Klopp openly criticising our lack of width and rumours of a bust-up with Ibe. But today he offered a lot in terms of crossing and directness, and I thought the pair of our wide men caused constant problems for Howe.

I think all the Academy graduates can come out of today with their heads held high, but Sturridge will go home happiest. After his omission from the starting line-up in midweek (which will have hurt him so much) he reacted magnificently. He'll surely be going to the Euros. Today was a great match for him, he took his goal really well and did brilliantly to lay on the opener for Firmino, too. He was full of creativity and urgency, and on another day, could have had the match-ball.
Agree with Mackay - we fielded a significantly weakened side meaning that we can have a full side in the Merseyside derby. Everton are playing terrible football right now but I think Klopp realises that form goes out of the window for these games.

In any case, Ward had a magnificent derby; he was never fully tested but made several decent saves. Still needs a few more fixtures to properly show himself off but that's a great sign.

Stewart was solid in midfield, but not spectacular. He made a few important interceptions but also showcased his inexperience with misplaced passes and being robbed of possession in the middle of the park.

Randall wasn't very noticeable (which can be good for a defender) - he doesn't get forward all too much so I'd be unsure about how well he'll fit in the long term plans of Klopp.

Smith on the other hand was the complete opposite; up and down the field like Moreno, but importantly he can still defend to a decent degree. He stops crosses well and has some good pace. He does need to place trust in the left-sided CB though because he can get caught up the field quite often.

Ojo showed glimpses of his talent, at at that age, glimpses is all you need. Not as good as his debut but him and Randall coped well down their side.

All in all we have some very promising youth options coming through and in a game where we didn't particularly play well, we still got the win. Things are looking exciting for Liverpool going in to the summer transfer window.
Martinez says he won't be resting players for the derby.

Original post by Lúcio
Agree with Mackay - we fielded a significantly weakened side meaning that we can have a full side in the Merseyside derby. Everton are playing terrible football right now but I think Klopp realises that form goes out of the window for these games.

In any case, Ward had a magnificent derby; he was never fully tested but made several decent saves. Still needs a few more fixtures to properly show himself off but that's a great sign.

A real shame he conceded the goal at the end. It's not easy being thrown in, but one thing which impressed me that I haven't heard/seen mentioned was his kicking. It zipped and got to the player with more urgency, he was quicker with his distribution and his kicking was generally very impressive.

He seems to have an extra 10 yards of Mignolet with his kicks, too.
Original post by Mackay
Martinez says he won't be resting players for the derby.

A real shame he conceded the goal at the end. It's not easy being thrown in, but one thing which impressed me that I haven't heard/seen mentioned was his kicking. It zipped and got to the player with more urgency, he was quicker with his distribution and his kicking was generally very impressive.

He seems to have an extra 10 yards of Mignolet with his kicks, too.

I think it's important for Martinez because this may well be his last derby. Everton really are terrible and without a period of excellent Lukaku form, they wouldn't be too far out of the relegation zone. They've been able to use the excuse of cup runs for the last few years but the problem is they aren't winning anything. If they don't win the FA Cup, it wouldn't surprise me for Martinez to be shown the door.

I agree - that's a really good sign for Ward too because that's a weakness of Mignolet. The latter struggles tremendously with his distribution, so if Ward can improve the other areas of his game, who says he can't provide serious competition? That's assuming we don't buy a new keeper in the summer of course.

Ward did look suspect once or twice aerially though. His shot stopping is fine and it took a wonderful King volley to finally beat him, but he needs to command his area. Mignolet has definitely improved as of late in that area so it clearly can be done.
Daniel Sturbridge played really well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lúcio
I think it's important for Martinez because this may well be his last derby. Everton really are terrible and without a period of excellent Lukaku form, they wouldn't be too far out of the relegation zone. They've been able to use the excuse of cup runs for the last few years but the problem is they aren't winning anything. If they don't win the FA Cup, it wouldn't surprise me for Martinez to be shown the door.

I agree - that's a really good sign for Ward too because that's a weakness of Mignolet. The latter struggles tremendously with his distribution, so if Ward can improve the other areas of his game, who says he can't provide serious competition? That's assuming we don't buy a new keeper in the summer of course.

Ward did look suspect once or twice aerially though. His shot stopping is fine and it took a wonderful King volley to finally beat him, but he needs to command his area. Mignolet has definitely improved as of late in that area so it clearly can be done.

If Lovren and Sakho is to be our central defensive partnership long-term, Mignolet just cannot be our goalkeeper.

The latter likes to step up, while the other drops deeper, as shown against Dortmund, giving us a propensity to play offensive attackers on the opposition on-side.

In that sense, we need a goalkeeper who can organise them from behind.
From numerous press agencies...

----------------

Mario Balotelli does not want to return to Liverpool at the end of the season, expressing his desire to stay at Milan beyond his loan spell amid unconfirmed reports linking him with a move to Monaco.

Balotelli said: “When it comes to my future I want to stay with Milan because I wasn’t happy at Liverpool and I don’t want to return there. And plus, Milan has the money. I’ve been doing well in my last two games, there are another six for me to prove myself. I feel in good shape physically at last and am relaxed.”

According to InsportPlus, Balotelli met with Monaco’s president, Dmitry Rybolovlev, and is considering a transfer to Ligue 1, should a permanent move to Milan not materialise.

Latest