The Student Room Group

How many past papers to guarantee success?

I've got exams coming up in Maths and Further Maths? I've started doing past papers from mid-March and I was wondering how many past papers should I do of each module to guarantee that I pass all my exams with flying colours? Also, how many marks should I aim for when doing past papers (given that the max is /75)

I'm aiming for A* in both Maths and Further Maths as they are my favorite A-Levels and I want to do well in them.

I know there are Solomon past papers and edexcel past papers. Can anyone link me to other past paper sources like Solomon Papers? I would really appreciate it!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Logic938
I've got exams coming up in Maths and Further Maths? I've started doing past papers from mid-March and I was wondering how many past papers should I do of each module to guarantee that I pass all my exams with flying colours? Also, how many marks should I aim for when doing past papers (given that the max is /75)

No set answer. Depends on you as an individual. You could need 2 papers to guarantee success or 20. We're not in a position to judge. You should aim for whatever you think you can achieve and then some, if you're ambitious, aiming for 72-75 is a good target on past papers.

I know there are Solomon past papers and edexcel past papers. Can anyone link me to other past paper sources like Solomon Papers? I would really appreciate it!

I personally don't like doing Solomon papers and think doing them is a waste of time, but, mileage varies and plenty of people swear by them. You can access them here - for each module, click the "Solomon papers" link.

I'm aiming for A* in both Maths and Further Maths as they are my favorite A-Levels and I want to do well in them.

http://www.madasmaths.com/archive_iygb_practice_papers_c4_practice_papers.html
That website has some great extra papers. The IAL, R, withdrawn and C34 papers have been really useful for me so far (you can find them on www.physicsandmathstutor.com/a-level-maths-papers/c4-edexcel/ ).
Reply 3
Original post by OrionMusicNet
http://www.madasmaths.com/archive_iygb_practice_papers_c4_practice_papers.html
That website has some great extra papers. The IAL, R, withdrawn and C34 papers have been really useful for me so far (you can find them on www.physicsandmathstutor.com/a-level-maths-papers/c4-edexcel/ ).

You absolute legend! :biggrin: The past papers questions seem very mind-stretching! Thanks for linking this! How have you found them so far and what modules are you doing this year?
Original post by Zacken

I personally don't like doing Solomon papers and think doing them is a waste of time, but, mileage varies and plenty of people swear by them. You can access them here - for each module, click the "Solomon papers" link.

in your opinion, why are they a waste of time?
Reply 5
Original post by alkaline.
in your opinion, why are they a waste of time?

Because I could spend my time doing so much interesting maths instead of wasting it on yet more tedious and boring A-Level papers that require zero thought, creativity and mathematical ingenuity. I say, do 7/8 A-Level normal edexcel papers and then sit the exam. Ta-da.
You absolute legend! :biggrin: The past papers questions seem very mind-stretching! Thanks for linking this! How have you found them so far and what modules are you doing this year?

I found the hard papers to be a good balance of challenging / stretching yet realistic. The extremely hard ones got a little bit unrealistic sometimes so they were still somewhat useful but not as useful as the other ones imo. I am doing C3, C4 and M1 this year. I don't do further maths but I need an A* in maths for my uni offer :smile:
6 past papers done per exam should just about do it.
Original post by Zacken
Because I could spend my time doing so much interesting maths instead of wasting it on yet more tedious and boring A-Level papers that require zero thought, creativity and mathematical ingenuity. I say, do 7/8 A-Level normal edexcel papers and then sit the exam. Ta-da.

some of us find them hard :cry2:

the content on the solomon link for AQA is password protected anyway but I will take your word for it and just do normal papers
Reply 9
Original post by alkaline.
some of us find them hard :cry2:

I know, they are meant to be hard and I very much acknowledge that my opinion is in the minority. :smile:

the content on the solomon link for AQA is password protected anyway but I will take your word for it and just do normal papers

You'll do fine, I'm sure. :-)
Reply 10
Original post by Zacken

Then Special Papers from MadasMaths will be good for you! :smile:
I did all papers from 2005 and few soloman papers. No good grade.
Reply 12
Original post by OrionMusicNet
I found the hard papers to be a good balance of challenging / stretching yet realistic. The extremely hard ones got a little bit unrealistic sometimes so they were still somewhat useful but not as useful as the other ones imo. I am doing C3, C4 and M1 this year. I don't do further maths but I need an A* in maths for my uni offer :smile:

Nice Dude! Hope you get your Uni offer! :smile:
Nice Dude! Hope you get your Uni offer! :smile:

Thanks a lot. Hope you get yours as well :smile:
Reply 14
Then Special Papers from MadasMaths will be good for you! :smile:

Nah, I think those are a waste of time as well. STEP on the other hand... :ahee:
Reply 15
Original post by Zacken
Nah, I think those are a waste of time as well. STEP on the other hand... :ahee:

Bruh! lol
Reply 16
Bruh! lol

:tongue: Have you seen my reply to your other thread?
Reply 17
Original post by Zacken
:tongue: Have you seen my reply to your other thread?

Yeah. I understand where I lost marks. The mark scheme I used didn't help me to understand where I went wrong but you have. Thanks :smile:. I misinterpreted part c by not recognizing the 6 period implied Binomial. I think it's just knowing when to switch between Binomial and Poisson that was my set back.
Reply 18

Around 12 per module is what I did
Reply 19
Yeah. I understand where I lost marks. The mark scheme I used didn't help me to understand where I went wrong but you have. Thanks :smile:. I misinterpreted part c by not recognizing the 6 period implied Binomial. I think it's just knowing when to switch between Binomial and Poisson that was my set back.

My post was more of a "this is how you should be approaching S2 questions" so as to minimise silly mistakes. :-)

Quick Reply

Latest