The Student Room Group

Pregnancy and Parenting Society Mark II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hygeia
Prednisolone was my saviour too, fortunately I didn't have too many side effects with it but I definitely couldn't manage without it.

Yup I tried to reduce my afternoon dose last night and my body gave me a very severe reminder of why I'm on it! I'll deal with the side effects as it allows me to stay hydrated but I didn't really appreciate how powerful it is until now!
Original post by Anonymous
Yup I tried to reduce my afternoon dose last night and my body gave me a very severe reminder of why I'm on it! I'll deal with the side effects as it allows me to stay hydrated but I didn't really appreciate how powerful it is until now!

I was able to reduce the pred to 5mg daily from about 20 weeks (with occasional increases) - still was nauseous every day but kept me fed and hydrated enough that I could get back to work at least!
Grr auto anon - anon25 is me
Original post by Hygeia
Grr auto anon - anon25 is me

That's good to know thank you! What dose were you on originally? I definitely don't think I'll be weaning next week which was the original plan. Am also going to have to let work know that I can't come back full time next week. Dreading it but I'm just not managing.

Hope your little one is doing well!
So the 24hr urine test was a very definite significant so it is pre-eclampsia :bawling: & I've been admitted to the antenatal ward for antihypertensives & monitoring... Touch wood quite quiet here at the moment.

There's a research study of immediate delivery (well, induction within 48hrs) v. expectant management for pre-eclampsia diagnosed 34-37 weeks going on here - so I agreed to be randomized (with discussion you can then change your mind or normal care can supersede the randomization...) & have been allocated to immediate... but my Consultant who'd be due to see me tomorrow is also the lead investigator - so now wondering whether her advice to me is going to be influenced by keeping the research hat on & maintaining the randomization..! :dontknow:
That's good to know thank you! What dose were you on originally? I definitely don't think I'll be weaning next week which was the original plan. Am also going to have to let work know that I can't come back full time next week. Dreading it but I'm just not managing.

2x 100mg hydrocortisone IV (12hrly) to start with then started on 30mg OD. Initial course was reducing by 5mg every day... consultant needed persuading to give me even that much after the success of the IV doses! Fortunately as soon as I deteriorated again with the weaning regime, my GP put me back on the steroids in order to prevent another admission (and I then just kept ringing to request more every time I was running low!) I was still on ranitidine/omeprazole/ondansetron/cyclizine/phenergan along with it (had alarms set to wake me in the night to space out the medications as best I could).

I did a kind of 'phased return' when I went back to work (but that was partly due to having had an emergency laparotomy at 13 weeks as well) and with the anaesthetics at least I was able to get a reasonable amount of rest when I was working and only did supernumerary on calls after the first month back. I couldn't have managed proper full time by any stretch!

Little one is doing fab! 20 weeks already and he's growing so fast (still skinny but >50th % for actual age for height which is pretty incredible given how tiny he was when he was born). Just waiting on an MSU as possibly has another UTI... (waiting on DMSA scan after his last one and still on prophylactic trimethoprim so will be a bugger if he has got another!) I'm really not going to want to go back to work - have delayed til August already!
So the 24hr urine test was a very definite significant so it is pre-eclampsia :bawling: & I've been admitted to the antenatal ward for antihypertensives & monitoring... Touch wood quite quiet here at the moment.

There's a research study of immediate delivery (well, induction within 48hrs) v. expectant management for pre-eclampsia diagnosed 34-37 weeks going on here - so I agreed to be randomized (with discussion you can then change your mind or normal care can supersede the randomization...) & have been allocated to immediate... but my Consultant who'd be due to see me tomorrow is also the lead investigator - so now wondering whether her advice to me is going to be influenced by keeping the research hat on & maintaining the randomization..! :dontknow:

Gosh that's difficult. Hopefully you won't be the only person this has happened with and she'll be able to navigate that! Do you have strong feelings either way? Not long to go now whatever happens, and those babies are a good weight. So much to be excited about :smile: x

Sorry about the PET. :frown: Will be thinking of you and the two little ones over the next few days!
Sorry about the PET. :frown: Will be thinking of you and the two little ones over the next few days!

Sigh, this is me again.

Starting to feel very faint movements now - thought it was just wind for a few days! Anomaly scan next week. We went to an NCT nearly new sale at the weekend as it was just down the road from my in-laws' house, and bought our first lot of baby stuff - mostly clothes (they are predominantly neutral and blue, not because I have any "premonition" about the sex but because I hate overly gendered clothing and the blue ones had cooler designs) plus sleeping bags, towels, a play mat and a feeding pillow. Still loads to get but I think we'll wait a little longer for most of it!

How are things going?
Using anon just so this won't show up in a search of my posts!

Just found out I won't be allowed to return to work on a less than full time basis... I'd have to get my IAC (initial assessment of competence) again first and then reapply which takes 3-4 months... I really don't want to go back to work full time before he's even a year old and while he's still going to be breastfeeding! (Original plan was to return at 8 months on 70%) I know he's not going to remember it if I do go back at full time and I know I can't really afford to stay off longer but I desperately do not want to go back full time at 8 months, especially not for about 6 months. Having to look at finances...
Using anon just so this won't show up in a search of my posts!

Just found out I won't be allowed to return to work on a less than full time basis... I'd have to get my IAC (initial assessment of competence) again first and then reapply which takes 3-4 months... I really don't want to go back to work full time before he's even a year old and while he's still going to be breastfeeding! (Original plan was to return at 8 months on 70%) I know he's not going to remember it if I do go back at full time and I know I can't really afford to stay off longer but I desperately do not want to go back full time at 8 months, especially not for about 6 months. Having to look at finances...

I'm really sorry. What grounds are they using to decline your application?

I have never heard of anyone who works where we do being declined LTFT when they have a child. Do you have any grounds for appeal?
Original post by randdom
I'm really sorry. What grounds are they using to decline your application?

I have never heard of anyone who works where we do being declined LTFT when they have a child. Do you have any grounds for appeal?

Apparently it's a royal college recommendation they're using... And no grounds for appeal as it was basically blocked on this basis before even officially being considered!

I'm going to get in touch with a support unit that have helped me in the past and see if they can do anything to help on the basis of my health as well as baby being the reason for ltft application (the Royal college recommendation says 'if at all possible' so suggests there is some flexibility and is for 'new starters' so hoping the fact that I do have 6 months experience will help as well). Going to do everything I can to fight it anyway and if that fails I might just have to use my savings and stay off work for the full 12 months so that baby is a bit older by the time I return!
Apparently it's a royal college recommendation they're using... And no grounds for appeal as it was basically blocked on this basis before even officially being considered!

I'm going to get in touch with a support unit that have helped me in the past and see if they can do anything to help on the basis of my health as well as baby being the reason for ltft application (the Royal college recommendation says 'if at all possible' so suggests there is some flexibility and is for 'new starters' so hoping the fact that I do have 6 months experience will help as well). Going to do everything I can to fight it anyway and if that fails I might just have to use my savings and stay off work for the full 12 months so that baby is a bit older by the time I return!
I don't think a royal college recommendation can over-ride the law, and you have a legal right to request to work part-time if you have a baby or very young child. The request can be refused by the employer, but they would have to show why and be able to fully justify their decision. Blocking the application before you've even made it is not acceptable. In your case, with your own health being an issue as well, I would not want to be the employer that turned your application down; the risk of being taken to an Employment Tribunal would be pretty high. The employer's duties under the Equality Act would appear to be being ignored here too.

Surely your novice period would be one of the easiest things to arrange LTFT? You should be supernumerary, so it would just mean coming in fewer days per week and taking slightly longer to achieve your IAC. Wouldn't cause issues with on-calls etc that you will encounter later on. Odd position from them, good luck fighting it!

Seems very suspicious to me... Have you run it by the BMA?
Anomaly scan today, 20+5. All looks ok, if slightly on the big side! And it's a boy - unfortunately so far we've only got a girl name that we like, so need to get thinking!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Helenia
Anomaly scan today, 20+5. All looks ok, if slightly on the big side! And it's a boy - unfortunately so far we've only got a girl name that we like, so need to get thinking!

Fantastic news!

W and I struggled a lot with boys names. There were many many spread sheets of many many vetoed names! You will find one.
Original post by Helenia

Aww how lovely! So glad everything is ok!

How are you getting on? Manage to reduce the pred or still a no go? Really hope everything is improving for you!

Quick Reply

Latest