The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
I assume you have now handed it in but............

Assuming 'tomorrow' means something like 3pm, you would have had 24 hours. 60 x 24 = 1,440 so if you pull an all nighter, 5 words per minute. Easy!
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
He did it!!!!! This has taught me never to listen to negativity! :smile:

Literally no-one questioned whether he could physically type the words. Of course he could.

Wait until he gets his results before declaring this a happy story of triumph against great odds (of entirely his own making).

I wish him every success regardless, and hope he's learned to plan ahead next time whatever the outcome.
Original post by Ivann505
aite guys the time is currently 14:59 just woke up after having a heavy night out for my mate's Birthday... I was mean to do all the work last night but he dragged me out and now I'm stuck with a fat hangover. Can I make it?

The important question here is did you make it?

I remember doing coursework once, something that should have taken 6 months to do the final week... GCSE so not half as bad as a degree but it was easily 18,000 words - managed it (just about) in 3 days but I was working on it like 16 hours a day because I still had to do all of the research for :frown:it
aite guys the time is currently 14:59 just woke up after having a heavy night out for my mate's Birthday... I was mean to do all the work last night but he dragged me out and now I'm stuck with a fat hangover. Can I make it?

I'd love to!
IT's definitely too late to write 8,000 words for tomoz however you could give it your best shot and do less (I'd make a start because the more you've done the better).

I think you need an extension and it's a tricky one cos there's probably no honest way for you to get one. You could write to your tutor today and say you've had a chest infection all this week and then go to the doctor tomorrow and really fake it! Never been to a doctor and pretended to be sick but I imagine the're so busy that s/he might just listen to you symptoms and then prescribe antibiotics... good luck
Original post by Nevemarie15
The important question here is did you make it?

I remember doing coursework once, something that should have taken 6 months to do the final week... GCSE so not half as bad as a degree but it was easily 18,000 words - managed it (just about) in 3 days but I was working on it like 16 hours a day because I still had to do all of the research for :frown:it

18,000 word for a GCSE, what? You realise that's like 1/3 of a PhD thesis?
Original post by Inazuma
Sorry OP, but I've never felt so goody-two shoes about myself since reading this thread :rofl:

10 references?!
And there was me worrying that my latest essay, 2000 words, totally rushed in 6 days was lacking references... only 57 compared to my usual 100 or so.

I'd agree to that last part, in my 4 pieces of coursework, and my research project; I have cited a judgement... once!
Actually hold on, that was a EU commission decision lol.

Are those quality references or just anything related you could find? I doubt you need that many (even for a literature review). Remember that a bibliography is also meant to be a useful resource for the reader.
Reply 167
What happened??
Original post by isitisisitis
Are those quality references or just anything related you could find? I doubt you need that many (even for a literature review). Remember that a bibliography is also meant to be a useful resource for the reader.

None were just randomly related, and the essays for Crim where I had the most (110 unique to 2000 words) were mainly statistics and studies. I was reluctant to write ideas that had been inspired or been acquired from writing without citing, which through a lot of research meant an inevitably large amount of references.
Probably didn't help that all my topics were popular, heavily researched ones.
But I am sitting on a 75 atm, at least till I get my latest 3 marks back!
Granted, I've not heard that before about the bib :redface:

We had about that amount for two different subjects. Difference is, a PhD thesis will have hundreds of citations, GCSE essays generally aren't expected to have any.
Original post by JoeTSR
We had about that amount for two different subjects. Difference is, a PhD thesis will have hundreds of citations, GCSE essays generally aren't expected to have any.

Citation aren't included in that count.
Which subjects are you talking about at GCSE anyway? I think you must have miscounted your words or gone massively over what was necessary. Don't you have word limits? I'm sure any maker would have stopped reading after the word limit and marked what fell into it.

So long as your social-circle includes a cohort of intrepid Robotics PhDs (who aren't also hung-over); anything's possible.
Citation aren't included in that count.
Which subjects are you talking about at GCSE anyway? I think you must have miscounted your words or gone massively over what was necessary. Don't you have word limits? I'm sure any maker would have stopped reading after the word limit and marked what fell into it.

I know they aren't included in the word count, but writing something that's 18000 words is a hell of a lot easier if you don't have to be combing through scientific papers and referencing.

I didn't, I wrote the expected amount. IT & Home Economics. IT was meant to be 50-60 pages, Home Ec was slightly less. No one wrote less than 40 for IT.
Original post by JoeTSR
I know they aren't included in the word count, but writing something that's 18000 words is a hell of a lot easier if you don't have to be combing through scientific papers and referencing.

I didn't, I wrote the expected amount. IT & Home Economics. IT was meant to be 50-60 pages, Home Ec was slightly less. No one wrote less than 40 for IT.

Ok, it's just that when people talk about pages in an academic context they usually mean 250 words a page (that's point 10, single spaced) not including diagrams of cookers. :wink:
Ok, it's just that when people talk about pages in an academic context they usually mean 250 words a page (that's point 10, single spaced) not including diagrams of cookers. :wink:

Yeah, you clearly have no clue what home economics involves, mate. :wink:

For your first point, I think it's you who's doing too many diagrams of cookers... The bulkiest section of my last essay (1100 out of 2500), when brought down to 10pt from 11, come out at about 1.5 pages, with 23 references. One page, with references removed, is 720 words. An average piece of writing is about 5-600 words/page (unless you're including the references/bibliography, then in which case, according to you, my last piece of work was a third of a thesis, at 15 pages).

And to address the point of pictures of cookers... no. Just no. It was an analysis of the pros and cons of a vegetarian diet, and how it can be managed. Writing that coursework was what made me start smoking.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JoeTSR
Yeah, you clearly have no clue what home economics involves, mate. :wink:

For your first point, I think it's you who's doing too many diagrams of cookers... The bulkiest section of my last essay (1100 out of 2500), when brought down to 10pt from 11, come out at about 1.5 pages, with 23 references. One page, with references removed, is 720 words. An average piece of writing is about 5-600 words/page (unless you're including the references/bibliography, then in which case, according to you, my last piece of work was a third of a thesis, at 15 pages).

And to address the point of pictures of cookers... no. Just no. It was an analysis of the pros and cons of a vegetarian diet, and how it can be managed. Writing that coursework was what made me start smoking.

Did you really have to do references for GCSE? I did Food Tech which is similar to Home Economics and I didn't need to have any. I'm not sure at GCSE I even knew what a reference was. Still got an A*.
Original post by infairverona
Did you really have to do references for GCSE? I did Food Tech which is similar to Home Economics and I didn't need to have any. I'm not sure at GCSE I even knew what a reference was. Still got an A*.

No, that's what I'm saying, 20 pages at GCSE != 20 pages of thesis level writing.

Is it's? Damn! Well the coursework was worth 40% of our final grade, and consisted of 6 x3 parts - the plan, observation and application of knowledge! Wrote on average 900-1000 words for each because there was a lot to say, plus adding in the introduction and evaluation for it, I think I hit 17,983 if I remember correctly but with bibliography it was over 18,000 😅
repeat the word "the" twice everytime u write in ur essay. makes ur essay look a lot longer and no one even notices it unless they read it VERY carefully.
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest