The Student Room Group

Trig graphs help please :)

Hey guys,

Please could someone be kind enough to help me with the question in the attachment. Any help will be appreciated.
my head hurts now..
Reply 2
Original post by Aty100
Hey guys,

Please could someone be kind enough to help me with the question in the attachment. Any help will be appreciated.

Surely you've learnt function transformations? This is just of cosx\cos x shift by π2\frac{\pi}{2} radians to the right. It will have the same minimum and maximum values as cosx\cos x but the x coordinates of these extrema will be shift to the right as well. As will the roots.
Reply 3
Just derive it and set y' = 0
Edit: rip answer
Reply 4
Original post by GUMI
Just derive it and set y' = 0
Edit: rip answer

Heads up: you mean differentiate, not derive. :-)
f(x + a) --> translates graph horizontally by -a

apply that to your situation?
Reply 6
Original post by Zacken
Heads up: you mean differentiate, not derive. :-)

Thanks, and I didn't know we were talking about transformations, woops x)
Reply 7
Original post by GUMI
Thanks, and I didn't know we were talking about transformations, woops x)

You can do it your way as well. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Zacken
Surely you've learnt function transformations? This is just of cosx\cos x shift by π2\frac{\pi}{2} radians to the right. It will have the same minimum and maximum values as cosx\cos x but the x coordinates of these extrema will be shift to the right as well. As will the roots.

I actually haven't learnt function transformations :s-smilie: I did have a lesson the graphs but not any transformations. I'm not sure why the teachers skipped that :/
Reply 9
Original post by Aty100
I actually haven't learnt function transformations :s-smilie: I did have a lesson the graphs but not any transformations. I'm not sure why the teachers skipped that :/

That's very weird. Anyhow, cos(xπ2)\cos(x - \frac{\pi}{2}), why don't you let y=xπ2y = x - \frac{\pi}{2} and then all you have is cosy\cos y which you know how to find the roots of, the maximum and minimum, etc... once you've got all of those, then just back-substitute.
Reply 10
Original post by Zacken
That's very weird. Anyhow, cos(xπ2)\cos(x - \frac{\pi}{2}), why don't you let y=xπ2y = x - \frac{\pi}{2} and then all you have is cosy\cos y which you know how to find the roots of, the maximum and minimum, etc... once you've got all of those, then just back-substitute.

Thank you, I understand that bit now. However do I change the limits for part iii) ?
And if we do then does it become 0 + pi/2 < X < 2pi + pi/2 ??
Reply 11
Original post by Aty100
Thank you, I understand that bit now. However do I change the limits for part iii) ?
And if we do then does it become 0 + pi/2 < X < 2pi + pi/2 ??

Yes. :yes:
Reply 12
Original post by Zacken
Yes. :yes:

Yay, thank you :h:
Reply 13
Original post by Aty100
Yay, thank you :h:

Don't thank me, you did it all by yourself, well done! :biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by Zacken
You can do it your way as well. :smile: