The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AthiaKarim
This was so interesting to read! I haven't met or known anyone with OCD- so I feel that this blog is very educational and an eye opener of how it's like, living with OCD!

so glad that you're able to explain OCD and share your experiences with us!! Can't wait to read the next blog!!

Thankyou!!!! I appreciate you taking the time to read it!
Im glad ivd helped you to understand it more. Theres still more to it than this but this is more the surface and what i go through.

Im glad youve enjoyed reading it. I think its fairly unique but its awful to live with. But there are people out there who have it a lot worse than i do!!
Thanks!! I look forward to writing it! :biggrin:
Original post by FireFreezer77
Thankyou!!!! I appreciate you taking the time to read it!
Im glad ivd helped you to understand it more. Theres still more to it than this but this is more the surface and what i go through.

Im glad youve enjoyed reading it. I think its fairly unique but its awful to live with. But there are people out there who have it a lot worse than i do!!
Thanks!! I look forward to writing it! :biggrin:

It's such an eye opener and I feel like I could learn so much more from your blog! I think it's so great what you're doing

Keep up the good work and I can't wait to read more!
Original post by AthiaKarim
It's such an eye opener and I feel like I could learn so much more from your blog! I think it's so great what you're doing

Keep up the good work and I can't wait to read more!

Why thankyou!! I hope you do learn a lot!!!
Im glad you like it.

Thats awesome thanks!!
Subscribing! :woo:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Subscribing! :woo:

Thankyou!!! I take it you enjoyed it?
Thankyou!!! I take it you enjoyed it?

Well I don't enjoy the fact you have OCD, obviously (totes didn't realise it affects 10% of the population btw :eek: ) but it's great to see you doing a blog :yep:
Well I don't enjoy the fact you have OCD, obviously (totes didn't realise it affects 10% of the population btw :eek: ) but it's great to see you doing a blog :yep:

Its not a great thing to have tbh.
Yeah i learnt that in therapy. Suprising isnt it!?
Thanks. Im glad you took the time to read it. I really appreciate it!
Its not a great thing to have tbh.
Yeah i learnt that in therapy. Suprising isnt it!?
Thanks. Im glad you took the time to read it. I really appreciate it!

My pleasure to read it - you write well :yep:

Something I would be interested to read in particular, is how friends and family of people with OCD can best support them whilst they are experiencing symptoms. A friend of mine has a milder form of OCD than you but there were times where he couldn't leave his room. I tried my best to support him and be kind and help him do whatever compulsive behaviours he needed to do, but I wasn't sure if I was doing the right thing.

I no longer live with/near him but any pointers from you would be very helpful :redface:
My pleasure to read it - you write well :yep:

Something I would be interested to read in particular, is how friends and family of people with OCD can best support them whilst they are experiencing symptoms. A friend of mine has a milder form of OCD than you but there were times where he couldn't leave his room. I tried my best to support him and be kind and help him do whatever compulsive behaviours he needed to do, but I wasn't sure if I was doing the right thing.

I no longer live with/near him but any pointers from you would be very helpful :redface:

Thanks! :smile:

I am gonna do en extra post later in the week to put in the extra stuff about OCD that i couldnt put in this one!
But with youre friend, you shouldnt really help him to do his rituals. This is because all this will do it keep it going and will make the OCD worse! You should try to prevent him from carrying out these rituals and try to keep him calm. This is the only way to fight OCD. It will feel horrible for him to start with but if he keeps it up, he will improve and continue to improve until he feels better!

But i will cover it in a bit more detail in the next post!
Thanks! :smile:

I am gonna do en extra post later in the week to put in the extra stuff about OCD that i couldnt put in this one!
But with youre friend, you shouldnt really help him to do his rituals. This is because all this will do it keep it going and will make the OCD worse! You should try to prevent him from carrying out these rituals and try to keep him calm. This is the only way to fight OCD. It will feel horrible for him to start with but if he keeps it up, he will improve and continue to improve until he feels better!

But i will cover it in a bit more detail in the next post!

Good point, I hadn't really thought of it like that. I hope I didn't make anything worse for him in the long run :frown:
Good point, I hadn't really thought of it like that. I hope I didn't make anything worse for him in the long run :frown:

I dont think youll have made it worse. It wont have got any better.
But you didnt know so thats ok.
Its hard to overcome it so he'll need a lot of support!!
I dont think youll have made it worse. It wont have got any better.
But you didnt know so thats ok.
Its hard to overcome it so he'll need a lot of support!!

Yeah, sadly I hardly see him these days so I don't know whether his OCD tendencies are still being problematic for him in his daily life. It's something he doesn't talk about but obviously coz we were at uni and living in close proximity and stuff, I did notice it at the time.

Glad you don't think I'd have made it any worse at least :redface:
Yeah, sadly I hardly see him these days so I don't know whether his OCD tendencies are still being problematic for him in his daily life. It's something he doesn't talk about but obviously coz we were at uni and living in close proximity and stuff, I did notice it at the time.

Glad you don't think I'd have made it any worse at least :redface:

Oh thats a shame! Well i hope you get to see him soon!! Hopefully things will have improved for him!! Its really not a nice thing to have!
Talking about it is difficult but it does get easier over time. Tbh thats also how my parent found out. I was doing strange thing because of my OCD that i wasnt doing before!!

I really dont think you will have done any harm. You wanted to help him!! So you did. The problem is, its only temporary relief!
Reply 33
@FireFreezer77

Sorry for replying late... I had revision and such to do but I had read it when you tagged me. :redface:

I'm so sorry you had to go through all that and it was affecting you in all aspects of life. Thank you so much for putting this up because it is an eye-opener to what people with OCD have to go through because we all have different ideas but not on how serious it is...

Look forward to the next post and I'm watching the thread (In a not-so-creepy way) :biggrin:

:hugs:
Original post by ZuluK
@FireFreezer77

Sorry for replying late... I had revision and such to do but I had read it when you tagged me. :redface:

I'm so sorry you had to go through all that and it was affecting you in all aspects of life. Thank you so much for putting this up because it is an eye-opener to what people with OCD have to go through because we all have different ideas but not on how serious it is...

Look forward to the next post and I'm watching the thread (In a not-so-creepy way) :biggrin:

:hugs:

Its ok, revision is super important!!

Its not great tbh but im getting through it!
I wanted people to realize what OCD can really be like.
I enjoyed writing it up and may put up another post tomorrow to finish off with the OCD aspect of the blog.
Thankyou for reading it btw. Greatly appreciated! :hugs:
Reply 35
Its ok, revision is super important!!

Its not great tbh but im getting through it!
I wanted people to realize what OCD can really be like.
I enjoyed writing it up and may put up another post tomorrow to finish off with the OCD aspect of the blog.
Thankyou for reading it btw. Greatly appreciated! :hugs:

Thank you for putting it up :tongue:

And yes it's a great idea. We have so many thoughts and ideas from what we read or see on tv but never a real insight from someone who is actually going through it. :biggrin:

Look forward to the next installment :h:
Reply 36
The last bit... I have noticed my nephew who is four doing that. He's been diagnosed with Autism for a year now but he repeats what we say... And he apologises to the door if he accidentally bangs Into it, and the door always needs to be shut when he leaves the room. He doesn't like it being open. Same with washing hands, he has to turn the tap himself and turn it off himself too. He's only 4 but we've noticed so many things about him and the way he does things.

It's really weird how until it happens to you or someone you know, you don't realise how much it affects the person :redface:
Why thankyou!! I appreciate that. Writing has never been my strong point so i appreciate that!

It does sound exactly like OCD. I completely understand it too.
You jave to have everything exactly oj the right place to feel normal. But as soon as something is moved, you get anxious about it! I understand the routes thing because i do it sometimes too. I also have to mske sure i touch things in a certain way before i can move away and do something else. Sounds weird but somethinf just doesnt feel right about it so i have to keep going back until its normal.
But what youve said i totally understand. Its not a nice thing to have and i hope you can overcome it soon!
Its not crazy its just something you have to do to feel normal.
You want to know whats crazy! Ive had to have showers because ive touched clean shirts (that had just been washed) because they were from the same place i had my job at. Super annoying!
But thanks for reading!! And for sharing your experiences too!
I have an irrational fear of speed bumps...but i'm slowly getting over it
Original post by ZuluK
Thank you for putting it up :tongue:

And yes it's a great idea. We have so many thoughts and ideas from what we read or see on tv but never a real insight from someone who is actually going through it. :biggrin:

Look forward to the next installment :h:

Its ok. I actually enjoyed writing it up!

Indeed i agree about that, ive seen tv shows about it but it never seemed to match what i was feeling. They all seemed to think it wasnt a major issue really and were pressuring the people with OCD which was upsetting them.
I hate it when people make fun of OCD and people push me to do something i really dont want to do. That only makes it worse! Ive experienced it!

Thanks!

Also i saw your post about your relative with Autism. You never realize whats going on until they start shlwing signs about it. But hopefully he can overcome it soon!

Latest