The Student Room Group

Boyfriend will not meet my Dad

I've been with my boyfriend for just over a year. Everything is fine, mostly. However, every time I mention him meeting my parents he says he doesn't want to. I live in a different city to my parents and usually go back home every couple of months for a weekend. I don't expect him to come with me but my Dad sometimes visits for an day and take me out to lunch, so ideally I'd like my boyfriend to meet my Dad when he visits me.

My boyfriend so far has refused. I've asked him why and he says he feels uncomfortable because he thinks My Dad will view him as ''The guy who's having sex with his daughter'' but I think he's being ridiculous. I've met my boyfriend's parents numerous times and some of his friends, so I know it's not that he isn't serious about me or is hiding anything.

Is it unreasonable for me to feel hurt? Should I drop it?

Scroll to see replies

hes not worth your time, if he isnt man enough to meet your dad he isnt man enough to have someone like you. realise your self worth.
Boyfriend will not meet dad, boyfriend not worth keeping.
Original post by Justmoll28
hes not worth your time, if he isnt man enough to meet your dad he isnt man enough to have someone like you. realise your self worth.

You're so cynical lol
Original post by Youngmetro
You're so cynical lol

not really? if i was in OPs situation, i would give a **** about myself?
The guys probably scared and nervous, its pretty natural. Give him time, its calm.

Dont break up with him, it isnt that serious
not really? if i was in OPs situation, i would give a **** about myself?

I dont think the issue is self worth. The guy isnt disrespecting OP, he's obviously scared and nervous.
Original post by Anonymous
I've been with my boyfriend for just over a year. Everything is fine, mostly. However, every time I mention him meeting my parents he says he doesn't want to. I live in a different city to my parents and usually go back home every couple of months for a weekend. I don't expect him to come with me but my Dad sometimes visits for an day and take me out to lunch, so ideally I'd like my boyfriend to meet my Dad when he visits me.

My boyfriend so far has refused. I've asked him why and he says he feels uncomfortable because he thinks My Dad will view him as ''The guy who's having sex with his daughter'' but I think he's being ridiculous. I've met my boyfriend's parents numerous times and some of his friends, so I know it's not that he isn't serious about me or is hiding anything.

Is it unreasonable for me to feel hurt? Should I drop it?

Maybe he is scared.
Give it time

I feel sorry for anyone who has a relationship with you
I dont think the issue is self worth. The guy isnt disrespecting OP, he's obviously scared and nervous.

he shouldnt be nervous if hes been with her over a year, he should have already met him if it was up to me, how can you have a serious relationship with someone and not meet their parents for over a year?!
Original post by anonwinner
I feel sorry for anyone who has a relationship with you

nah me and my boyfriend are fine thanks :smile:
Is your dad a 6'7 bodybuilder? :dontknow:
It seems pretty weird, especially if you've met his parents and he hasn't seen any problem with that. Maybe he feels that 'meeting the parents' is some kind of big commitment thing and he's scared, regardless I really think you need to speak to him and tell him how you feel, if he doesn't try to look at it from your point of view, you'll have to consider how you want the relationship to progress, good luck!
Original post by stefano865
Is your dad a 6'7 bodybuilder? :dontknow:

No. My Dad is reasonably wealthy so I don't know if that intimidates him. My boyfriend is from a working class background but he has a good job (he earns more than me) for a well known company.
he shouldnt be nervous if hes been with her over a year, he should have already met him if it was up to me, how can you have a serious relationship with someone and not meet their parents for over a year?!

He's clearly uncomfortable, there is an intimidating stereotype behind the 'girlfriends dad' nowadays

Honestly though, if you're that harsh with your own partner i do feel sorry :biggrin:
He's clearly uncomfortable, there is an intimidating stereotype behind the 'girlfriends dad' nowadays

Honestly though, if you're that harsh with your own partner i do feel sorry :biggrin:

im not harsh, my boyfriend had nothing to be scared of?
Original post by Blondie987
It seems pretty weird, especially if you've met his parents and he hasn't seen any problem with that. Maybe he feels that 'meeting the parents' is some kind of big commitment thing and he's scared, regardless I really think you need to speak to him and tell him how you feel, if he doesn't try to look at it from your point of view, you'll have to consider how you want the relationship to progress, good luck!

This is what I'm worried about. It's not like I'm thinking of moving in together or marriage anytime soon, but if he can't do something like this then do I want to waste time in a relationship where in a couple of years he'll be too scared to progress onto the next step.
im not harsh, my boyfriend had nothing to be scared of?

Well you're not OP
Well you're not OP

then get off my case :smile:
Just tell him that it's really important to you that he meets your parents. If he cares about you he'll do it for you, no matter how much it scares him.

****, I didn't know I had that kind of sensitivity in me :rofl:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending