The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

England is such an unhappy country

Has anyone realised? I don't know about you but when I've been abroad I have always noticed a vast difference between England and these other countries. These other countries I have been to be it, Australia, Singapore or Indonesia or as west as USA or more centrally with the likes of Spain and Italy - they all have a more identifiable culture and one which everyone buys into. They might not be the richest in the world, they might have economic problems in some countries, but they are happier as people. I don't know if there's a correlation between great weather and a slower pace of life like in a number of those countries I mentioned, and a happier existence. Everyone buys into the country, the culture and way of life. There's a stronger sense of purpose, unity and spirit.

I can't help but feel personally very unhappy in England as an Englishmen. I also can't help but feel that this country and the people here are very unhappy. My personal opinions about this range from mass immigration, to the growing ascent of Islam to things about this country such as the weather, the 24/7 way of working life in these modern times, greater pressures and economic issues from housing to health, to the rise in technology and consumerism and materialism in this economically developed country with everything on its doorstep. I just think the traditions and heritage of this country is being eroded and lots of people are unhappy, Brits and non-Brits. Lots of Brits are worried about the state of this country and where it's going. I look at immigrants who come here from Eastern Europe and working in cafes or as cleaners and wondering how they can wake up every day and be happy ... they aren't. I look at Muslims and think they can't be happy either, they don't look it. They obviously don't feel comfortable with their status in the UK on a wider level, however it's not our duty to accept them for who they are and if anything it should be the other way around. But this is a growing problem in England today, the dissipating British way of life while the mass influx of new cultures and people come to the UK without assimilating into British culture.

Then there's the economic side of this country. We are kind of too spoiled. We are one of the greatest most developed countries on this planet and are very lucky to have the opportunity to have what we have, comparatively to the world. Maybe we have too much too easy and don't make the effort? We just take things for granted. Our country is colder not just literally, but as people. We don't value family like they do in other countries and culture. Heck even America is better than here, I lived there for a year. Everyone flies the American flag there, everyone considers themself American and buys into the country. It's a different feeling alltogether.

I can't help but feel England is going nowhere and everyone is thoroughly unhappy. I'm actually considering moving out of England because it's such an unhappy life here. I spent 3 weeks in Australia and it was a breathtaking experience. Everybody happy, smiling, stupendously good weather, beautiful beaches, such a chilled and relaxed laid back culture and more than that everyone buying into the Australian way of life. No opposition, no clashes.. just Australian. It was amazing and a really peaceful and happy experience. I left there feeling really sad .. I could not believe how happy I felt as a person and it made me realise just how much I have missed out on in life by not being from a country such as that. I'd take it every day of the week over being raised in England and being an Englishmen.

Thoughts?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I genuinely believe that part of the reason us Brits seem to be miserable is down to the weather. The hottest it gets is around 30degrees at an absolute push and the usual summers day must be around 17degrees (at least from where I'm from, good old Merseyside) whereas that is most places winter temperatures!

I'm sure there are other reasons but I believe that to be a big one for us Brits.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Parx
Has anyone realised? I don't know about you but when I've been abroad I have always noticed a vast difference between England and these other countries. These other countries I have been to be it, Australia, Singapore or Indonesia or as west as USA or more centrally with the likes of Spain and Italy - they all have a more identifiable culture and one which everyone buys into. They might not be the richest in the world, they might have economic problems in some countries, but they are happier as people. I don't know if there's a correlation between great weather and a slower pace of life like in a number of those countries I mentioned, and a happier existence. Everyone buys into the country, the culture and way of life. There's a stronger sense of purpose, unity and spirit.

I can't help but feel personally very unhappy in England as an Englishmen. I also can't help but feel that this country and the people here are very unhappy. My personal opinions about this range from mass immigration, to the growing ascent of Islam to things about this country such as the weather, the 24/7 way of working life in these modern times, greater pressures and economic issues from housing to health, to the rise in technology and consumerism and materialism in this economically developed country with everything on its doorstep. I just think the traditions and heritage of this country is being eroded and lots of people are unhappy, Brits and non-Brits. Lots of Brits are worried about the state of this country and where it's going. I look at immigrants who come here from Eastern Europe and working in cafes or as cleaners and wondering how they can wake up every day and be happy ... they aren't. I look at Muslims and think they can't be happy either, they don't look it. They obviously don't feel comfortable with their status in the UK on a wider level, however it's not our duty to accept them for who they are and if anything it should be the other way around. But this is a growing problem in England today, the dissipating British way of life while the mass influx of new cultures and people come to the UK without assimilating into British culture.

Then there's the economic side of this country. We are kind of too spoiled. We are one of the greatest most developed countries on this planet and are very lucky to have the opportunity to have what we have, comparatively to the world. Maybe we have too much too easy and don't make the effort? We just take things for granted. Our country is colder not just literally, but as people. We don't value family like they do in other countries and culture.

I can't help but feel England is going nowhere and everyone is thoroughly unhappy. I'm actually considering moving out of England because it's such an unhappy life here. I spent 3 weeks in Australia and it was a breathtaking experience. Everybody happy, smiling, stupendously good weather, beautiful beaches, such a chilled and relaxed laid back culture and more than that everyone buying into the Australian way of life. No opposition, no clashes.. just Australian. It was amazing and a really peaceful and happy experience.

Thoughts?

I agree literally dreadful over here
Original post by Parx

Then there's the economic side of this country. We are kind of too spoiled. We are one of the greatest most developed countries on this planet and are very lucky to have the opportunity to have what we have, comparatively to the world. Maybe we have too much too easy and don't make the effort? We just take things for granted. Our country is colder not just literally, but as people. We don't value family like they do in other countries and culture. Heck even America is better than here, I lived there for a year. Everyone flies the American flag there, everyone considers themself American and buys into the country. It's a different feeling alltogether.

I can't help but feel England is going nowhere and everyone is thoroughly unhappy. I'm actually considering moving out of England because it's such an unhappy life here. I spent 3 weeks in Australia and it was a breathtaking experience. Everybody happy, smiling, stupendously good weather, beautiful beaches, such a chilled and relaxed laid back culture and more than that everyone buying into the Australian way of life. No opposition, no clashes.. just Australian. It was amazing and a really peaceful and happy experience. I left there feeling really sad .. I could not believe how happy I felt as a person and it made me realise just how much I have missed out on in life by not being from a country such as that. I'd take it every day of the week over being raised in England and being an Englishmen.

Thoughts?

I absolutely agree. I used to live in the Midwest in the USA and people seemed a lot happier. Although, the winter's pretty brutal there.

The weather just seems to get worse the further north you go. Sadly, I live in the North lol
Am I the only one who loves England, our peculiar humour and way of being?
It's because of the weather. You literally cannot be happy in a climate with bad weather. You have to be supressed sometimes in order to make the best decisions. Imagine running around happy all the time when it's about to rain? You will get soaked through and your day and clothes are ruined. You have to be cautious here and focus on what's important. No time for dancing around like a fool.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Am I the only one who loves England, our peculiar humour and way of being?

No but it can feel like that because we are quite negative people. I love this country and would murder 1,000,000 babies to keep it strong, if it was necessary ofc.
(edited 8 years ago)
we have really good biscuits

:yep:
Original post by the bear
we have really good biscuits

:yep:

Shortbread butter biscuits?!
Original post by queen-bee
Shortbread butter biscuits?!

those are really Scottish bee :teehee:

i like those big tins of different biccies you get for Christmas:

those are really Scottish bee :teehee:

i like those big tins of different biccies you get for Christmas:

Oh okay... But they're delicious

I love them too! I'll get you lots and lots next Christmas :wink:
Original post by queen-bee
Oh okay... But they're delicious

I love them too! I'll get you lots and lots next Christmas :wink:

do you think i am too skinny bee ?

:rofl:

:toofunny:
do you think i am too skinny bee ?

:rofl:

:toofunny:

Unfortunately so :curious:
No it's just major cities (primarily London) where everyone is a miserable git.

I don't find most of the English unhappy at all; sure people massively over-exaggerate how much it rains (it really does not rain that much guys...) and the weather has an effect but the whole country isn't an unhappy place imo
I suppose an Englishman would be unhappy when their country doesn't feel like England anymore.

Regards, an Englishman
Reply 14
Original post by Parx

Thoughts?

My thoughts is the grass isn't always greener. There's a whole big difference between going somewhere on vacation and living there. You felt happy in Australia because you were on holiday! Having said that, the Brits are well know for being a bit dour. It has something to do with being stuck on a small overcrowded island in the pi$$ing rain.
Reply 15
Original post by Howard
My thoughts is the grass isn't always greener. There's a whole big difference between going somewhere on vacation and living there. You felt happy in Australia because you were on holiday! Having said that, the Brits are well know for being a bit dour. It has something to do with being stuck on a small overcrowded island in the pi$$ing rain.

Well I lived in America and I had similar thoughts. It was also one of the happiest times/years in my life.
Original post by Parx

Thoughts?

I have to have a good laugh at this, I was raised in Australia (born in Britain), I have lived in four of the states and travelled extensively, and though it is a great country, it is no paradise. Your picture of Australia is a joke. I have also been around Europe and other places for short but not tourist stays. There are no paradises left, People are not a happy lot with their lot, the one thing Britain does have which is our triumph over the rest of the world, is a thing we call the NHS. So you go live with the bogans, but don't ever get ill.
Mass unchecked immigration only further fragments society. We've taken in a lot of people who have no desire to integrate and this is the result. There is no cohesive society.
Turn on the radio or TV and not a day goes past where you don't hear about some sort of crisis in this country. And as usual, people just complain for a while and then accept it.

A lot of people in England don't mind accepting the gradual reduction in living standards and cultural changes imposed on them thru mass immigration. They just bend over and take it while screaming "I'm tolerant!". That's why all those migrants want to hop into England - they know the English are soft, diversity loving, politically correct, restrained people.

That's the way it is in this country because we're a spineless, tolerant nation. People are alarmed/laugh at the way Sweden is going downhill with its ultra liberal bs and yet I feel England is heading in the same direction albeit at a slower pace.
I agree that England is a ******* miserable place to live, unless you're lucky enough to live and work in London which is the most lively and wonderful place to be. London is my home (lived there for 21 years) and I miss it every day. Everywhere else, bar a few of the major cities like Birmingham and Manchester, is a ****-hole. I should know, I've lived in the North of England for 5 years now and I absolutely detest it here. A major reason is of course the weather - it never stops ******* raining, even in the summer months, and the real summer weather only lasts for a couple of weeks every year. The rest of the time it's freezing cold, which means I have to wrap up in several layers or suffer crippling headaches and jaw pain, not to mention catching a cold a few times a year. But in addition to that, it's the British mentality that you have to get hammered in order to have a good time, otherwise you're a boring person and have to suffer rejection, isolation and loneliness away from people you used to call your friends. UK universities are disgusting places to make friends because your popularity and importance to everyone else is only dictated by how much alcohol you drink. Unless you live in a truly multi-cultural city with good integration between communities, every single city in the UK is just about this nightclub, this party, this outdoor festival (in **** weather) etc etc. For someone who doesn't drink and has no interest in nightclubs but prefers other events that only take place in other cities, living in the UK is a nightmare. Every day I have to walk through rain, snow and freezing cold to get to places, and it goes without saying that this gets very very depressing, very quickly. Furthermore, look at the state of our corrupt, spineless and downright ******* disgusting government who want to protect the rich at the expense of the working class, disabled, women and those in receipt of benefits - and you'll understand why I despise living in this country. Even our very own pride of British achievement, the NHS, is under threat from the same government who promised to protect it, and as I'm heading for a career in Medicine I refuse to be part of the government's evil machinations. I can't help where I was born, where I have grown up all my life and where my family are, but I can sure as hell work hard to make sure I get a job abroad in a beautiful sunny country. And when I do, I'm never coming back.

Anyone who disagrees with my views can go **** themselves. Britain used to be great, but it's since gone down the toilet. This has nothing to do with immigration or jobs, which will always be a problem to those who consider them to be. But there's a reason why most British people know and believe that life is better in other comparable countries. For me, the dream is to work in any of the Gulf countries like the UAE, Qatar, Bahrain etc. Followed by Singapore, Malaysia, India, South Africa, Malta etc. Notice that these are the places with the best reputations and that, most importantly, are where people are happiest. They don't all necessarily have infrastructure, but you can be sure to lead a better quality of life in any of these places than you can in the UK (particularly if you're in a professional job).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by chemting
Me no hablas ingles. I speako la espaniole. Hableme en espanol por favor... ¿Querría bailar conmigo?:sexface:

El que ríe último ríe mejor

Posted from TSR Mobile

What the :rofl:

Latest

Trending

Trending