The Student Room Group

Graduate mental health nurse to medicine

Hi,

I am a 31yr old graduate of mental health nursing in Glasgow and in my first job (8months). I have always had a desire to study medicine that I wasn't able to after school (left to become a carer). I enjoy my job but I still can't help but feel it isn't the right career for me. I'm by no means saying I think medicine is better, it's just something I've always wanted to do. Does anyone have any advice as to where to go from here?

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
What are your academic qualifications?
Reply 2
Original post by Motorcycleempty
Hi,

I am a 31yr old graduate of mental health nursing in Glasgow and in my first job (8months). I have always had a desire to study medicine that I wasn't able to after school (left to become a carer). I enjoy my job but I still can't help but feel it isn't the right career for me. I'm by no means saying I think medicine is better, it's just something I've always wanted to do. Does anyone have any advice as to where to go from here?

Thanks in advance

Hi :smile:. In your shoes, I think I would ask myself whether the drive and motivation to study and practice medicine is still there. Even after this time between school and working in your current job. If so, then maybe try to get some shadowing experience to see first hand whether this is a career you'd like (although I understand you may already see this in your current job). Then there are the application procedures to think about.

Other TSR members may be able to offer much better advice than me, especially for the application process/entry requirements! Anyway, I really hope you find a path which you are happy in.
You've got a long career ahead of you so spend that time doing what you want to do - whether that's mental health nursing or medicine. What is your nursing qualification. Is it a BSc(Hons)?
Original post by Motorcycleempty
Hi,

Thanks in advance

The first thing is to decide for yourself if your desire to do medicine is great enough that you will never be satisfied in your current job without at least trying for medicine. If it is then you need to start thinking about how to get into medicine - there are various different routes depending on your background and qualifications.
If you already have a degree then you may be able to apply for one of the 4 year graduate entry programmes, most require a 2.1 and for you to sit the UKCAT, but a couple will accept a 2.2 and require you to sit the GAMSAT; you would need to make sure they accept your degree subject as a few will only accept a lab science. There is a guide here for graduate applicants, but it may be a little out of date so it's always best to check individual med schools for their most recent entry requirements http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15889-graduate-entry-medicine-a-guide

You may also need to consider the financial implications. If you get into a graduate programme things aren't so bad, as you get funding for most of it, but you still need to pay some of the tuition fee in the first year, and as it's an accelerated programme it is quite stressful and there is no time for a job alongside it.
Reply 5
I just got a place on GEM for September and I'm an adult nurse. Message me if you want any info :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending