The Student Room Group

Dropping a GCSE

Hi, I want to drop a gcse subject completely because I'm literally going to fail it because I did terribly in one of the controlled assessments. Is there anyway of dropping it now? I'm in year 11
It is possible if it isn't a core subject, but it is also up to the discretion of your school. It is probably best to talk to your subject tutor/head of year about it.
Reply 2
Original post by DepletingSanity
It is possible if it isn't a core subject, but it is also up to the discretion of your school. It is probably best to talk to your subject tutor/head of year about it.

Okay thanks! It isn't a core subject, its drama and its the bane of my life.
Reply 3
Someone in my computing class tried to do that (also in year 11) but they did not let her as she has already been entered for the exam so they told her your just going to have to sit the exam but not do anything so she basically gets a fail:frown:
Original post by Stay.rad
Okay thanks! It isn't a core subject, its drama and its the bane of my life.

As long as you have a good selection of GCSE's I don't see why they would be too against you stopping drama... But I would recommend that you suggest to your teachers that you do extra work on (Another subject that you take), for example, ICT is usually a good one since you often don't need direction, or maybe a subject you feel weakest on... Also explaining you want to give yourself the best chance to get the best grades may be helpful :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by zzww
Which subject is it btw?

drama
Reply 6
Original post by DepletingSanity
As long as you have a good selection of GCSE's I don't see why they would be too against you stopping drama... But I would recommend that you suggest to your teachers that you do extra work on (Another subject that you take), for example, ICT is usually a good one since you often don't need direction, or maybe a subject you feel weakest on... Also explaining you want to give yourself the best chance to get the best grades may be helpful :smile:

I have my exam in like 6 weeks, do you still think i'd be able to drop it? I don't know why i never thought of dropping it earlier
Well the deputy head was basically going around to us and asking the people who were gonna fail a subject to drop it, or as they put it to "focus on other subjets". I got the option of dropping Physics and Chemistry but no way I'm having less GCSEs.

If they haven't shown their concern youll probably be fine, it will all be over soon anyway. If you are really worried speak to the senior team.
Reply 8
Original post by zzww
Someone in my computing class tried to do that (also in year 11) but they did not let her as she has already been entered for the exam so they told her your just going to have to sit the exam but not do anything so she basically gets a fail:frown:

I'm hoping they let me drop it, i don't know why i never thought of dropping it earlier, I have my exam in about 6 weeks and i don't think i'll do that bad in the exam its just that i did extreamly bad in a controlled assessment
Reply 9
I have the exact same situation in computing just like my friend but i didn't bother asking to drop it because at least we get a separate grade for the exam and the controlled assessment but they are added up. I would just recommend accepting the fact that the overall grade wont be good and focus on doing well in the exam. Or if you want to give on drama overall do another subject during your drama lesson, my friend currently does that but I'm going to try my best to do well in the exam:smile:
Reply 10
but then again they could let you drop it ask them and let me know what they say
It depends when the deadline for entry is, if it's been and gone, then no. I know at our school it was April 1st.
Original post by Stay.rad
I have my exam in like 6 weeks, do you still think i'd be able to drop it? I don't know why i never thought of dropping it earlier

6 weeks may be a bit soon... You can give it a try, but if there is only 6 weeks you may have already been entered. (I have once before seen people de-entered from exams, but this is very rare). Good luck anyway :smile:
Reply 13
Its not that deep #TeamTrump

Quick Reply

Latest