The Student Room Group

Your opinion on group projects?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ServantOfMorgoth
Lol you didn't eat or anything? Let's just agree that group projects are bad

Oh I didn't say why my group members were bad lol.
1 of them ( idk what's his problem) but when ever we suggests ideas he always thinks were all wrong and he's right although he is glaring wrong and he would get angry at us and not say anything until he gets home on the little Facebook group me made to chat.

Another one of them was so disorganised I don't really know what to say. He only goes to lectures in the evening because he stays up all night doing his work and spends his mornings sleeping so you can never get him to bring anything on time because it's like he's always sleeping. He would come to meetings sporadically but when he came he had good ideas so he wasn't so bad.

Another group member was never present for meetings, he never would respond on the Facebook chat and only when things are due (like the same day) he's be all in a rush to get everything done. He was doing the models of the redesign so we had a lot to depend on him for. I'm no good at the program that we use to do the models so I couldn't do it myself.
It was a complete disaster.

I had one other group member and she was the only competent one and would do things on time but she had a bit of an attitude problem and we clashed a lot because she doesn't know how to speak to people with respect.

I had a pack of 9 twix in my room and some bananas. I also had some sparkling water. But I only got out of my room to go to the toilet and have a shower.
For this module, coursework has 50%, and I worked like hell to assure myself a first so far for that one.

To not oversleep, I dozed off at my desk for 20 mins in 3 cycles per day (headphones on, alarm would go off in my ear).

Same thing happened for a group project this year. People were looking at me like I was a living golden nugget this time.

Although, this all goes back to my childhood days. I remember in grade 1 having my first group project, and I remember putting my hand over my class mate's shoulder saying "I'm doing this, you can't even tie your shoelaces". :lol:
Original post by LaMandarine
I had a pack of 9 twix in my room and some bananas. I also had some sparkling water. But I only got out of my room to go to the toilet and have a shower.
For this module, coursework has 50%, and I worked like hell to assure myself a first so far for that one.

To not oversleep, I dozed off at my desk for 20 mins in 3 cycles per day (headphones on, alarm would go off in my ear).

Same thing happened for a group project this year. People were looking at me like I was a living golden nugget this time.

Although, this all goes back to my childhood days. I remember in grade 1 having my first group project, and I remember putting my hand over my class mate's shoulder saying "I'm doing this, you can't even tie your shoelaces". :lol:

Lol aww that was mean to tell that child that. You probably crushed them for life 😩

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ServantOfMorgoth
Lol aww that was mean to tell that child that. You probably crushed them for life 😩

Posted from TSR Mobile

He proved me wrong, in the end. He's working in my country's civil service. :tongue:
Original post by LaMandarine
He proved me wrong, in the end. He's working in my country's civil service. :tongue:

Oh that's nice.
Reply 24
I like them, I am lazy and tend to do as little as possible to get a good mark and group projects help with that

Sorry @ryanHUFC1995
I loathed doing group projects.

With hindsight, their true value is not the assessed academic content generated, but the mimicry of future workplace scenarios involving time-based pressures and organisational issues of conflict.

But the lazy s4its won't feel that until they mess up at work.
(edited 8 years ago)
Unless you're doing something that will actually involve constant teamwork as a job (e.g civil engineering or w.e) then i think it's pointless.
I hate when courses just add it in for the sake of it.

But even with civil engineering I'd hate it. What if i get put with an international student with horrible english? Or people lazy as hell? The only person i want to blame on my successes or failures is me.

I've always said there should be 2 options with a coursework module. You either do it in groups but you choose the groups yourselves. Or you can opt to do it alone. Each should be marked differently but equate to the same amount of credits
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by eagleclawsan
This! This is what is p***ing me off also. We're graded as a unit. Considering I have done pretty much everything up until now I think it is ridiculous. Two people have done absolutely nothing at all and they get to have the same grade as me??

This is a module at uni and it has a name that is very relevant in the Software Development industry (the module has the same name!) which means if I end up getting the lowest grade in this project (which is quite big) it's going to look very bad. The worst thing is it's not even my fault.

Their departments excuse for random groups is that "this is how it works in real life", but no! That's not how it works because in real life, when you go into a job, you will mostly likely end up with hard working people who actually give a ****.

It depends, they do exist in the workforce, but they are smarter about it. Usually they are able to sweet talk, do not mind being demeaned/invalidated, and are able to "buy" others' affection. I'm currently working but preparing to go to Uni as a mature student, it happens more often than you think.
I really hate them.
Original post by eagleclawsan
Don't you just hate them? I do.

I do Computer Science and we have a module where we have to develop a program from a given spec. The problem is the groups are random and some people do absolutely nothing or have no idea how to program (which is essentially the main point of the course, to learn how to program).

This module is probably going to be the most important/relevant to employers but it gets negatively impacted by the group you're assigned to.

What is your opinion on group projects?

They're awful. One of my biggest regrets at uni was picking the group project over the individual dissertation. I kept getting shut out of group meetings and they wouldn't let me contribute anything, until they blackmailed me into taking a smaller percentage of the group credit.

Quick Reply

Latest