The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

England is such an unhappy country

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Reply 21
Original post by RivalPlayer
Mass unchecked immigration only further fragments society. We've taken in a lot of people who have no desire to integrate and this is the result. There is no cohesive society.
Turn on the radio or TV and not a day goes past where you don't hear about some sort of crisis in this country. And as usual, people just complain for a while and then accept it.

A lot of people in England don't mind accepting the gradual reduction in living standards and cultural changes imposed on them thru mass immigration. They just bend over and take it while screaming "I'm tolerant!". That's why all those migrants want to hop into England - they know the English are soft, diversity loving, politically correct, restrained people.

That's the way it is in this country because we're a spineless, tolerant nation. People are alarmed/laugh at the way Sweden is going downhill with its ultra liberal bs and yet I feel England is heading in the same direction albeit at a slower pace.

Can't disagree with any of that. You have summed up perfectly a serious issue within this country in a much more succint way than myself. Hopefully more and more people wake up to this.
Reply 22
Original post by asif007
I agree that England is a ******* miserable place to live, unless you're lucky enough to live and work in London which is the most lively and wonderful place to be. London is my home (lived there for 21 years) and I miss it every day. Everywhere else, bar a few of the major cities like Birmingham and Manchester, is a ****-hole. I should know, I've lived in the North of England for 5 years now and I absolutely detest it here. A major reason is of course the weather - it never stops ******* raining, even in the summer months, and the real summer weather only lasts for a couple of weeks every year. The rest of the time it's freezing cold, which means I have to wrap up in several layers or suffer crippling headaches and jaw pain, not to mention catching a cold a few times a year. But in addition to that, it's the British mentality that you have to get hammered in order to have a good time, otherwise you're a boring person and have to suffer rejection, isolation and loneliness away from people you used to call your friends. UK universities are disgusting places to make friends because your popularity and importance to everyone else is only dictated by how much alcohol you drink. Unless you live in a truly multi-cultural city with good integration between communities, every single city in the UK is just about this nightclub, this party, this outdoor festival (in **** weather) etc etc. For someone who doesn't drink and has no interest in nightclubs but prefers other events that only take place in other cities, living in the UK is a nightmare. Every day I have to walk through rain, snow and freezing cold to get to places, and it goes without saying that this gets very very depressing, very quickly. Furthermore, look at the state of our corrupt, spineless and downright ******* disgusting government who want to protect the rich at the expense of the working class, disabled, women and those in receipt of benefits - and you'll understand why I despise living in this country. Even our very own pride of British achievement, the NHS, is under threat from the same government who promised to protect it, and as I'm heading for a career in Medicine I refuse to be part of the government's evil machinations. I can't help where I was born, where I have grown up all my life and where my family are, but I can sure as hell work hard to make sure I get a job abroad in a beautiful sunny country. And when I do, I'm never coming back.

Anyone who disagrees with my views can go **** themselves. Britain used to be great, but it's since gone down the toilet. This has nothing to do with immigration or jobs, which will always be a problem to those who consider them to be. But there's a reason why most British people know and believe that life is better in other comparable countries. For me, the dream is to work in any of the Gulf countries like the UAE, Qatar, Bahrain etc. Followed by Singapore, Malaysia, India, South Africa, Malta etc. Notice that these are the places with the best reputations and that, most importantly, are where people are happiest. They don't all necessarily have infrastructure, but you can be sure to lead a better quality of life in any of these places than you can in the UK (particularly if you're in a professional job).

In fairness, while you raise a fair point with the drinking culture in England to outright deny immigration and not mention the impact of Islam in this country 'Asif', is rather biased. It's all well and good saying it from your perspective but a lot of people are bothered by Islam and a lot of people are bothered by immigration, and rightly so. You can't just scoff that and say well it's an issue to those who consider it to be. Bigger issue than any drinking issue you raise, which is an issue in itself but nothing epidemic. The thing is that this is England, we don't have sunny weather and yes compared to say Italy we lack a rounded culture, but for you to scoff immigration and raise alcohol as a bigger issue is pure subjective bias.

Also London is a hellhole. I live here. Everywhere I go is Eastern Europeans and Muslims. You can't get away from them and all the English people are moving out or have moved out. Do you think an English person enjoys living in London? You must be deluded.
Original post by Parx
In fairness, while you raise a fair point with the drinking culture in England to outright deny immigration and not mention the impact of Islam in this country 'Asif', is rather biased. It's all well and good saying it from your perspective but a lot of people are bothered by Islam and a lot of people are bothered by immigration, and rightly so. You can't just scoff that and say well it's an issue to those who consider it to be. Bigger issue than any drinking issue you raise, which is an issue in itself but nothing epidemic. The thing is that this is England, we don't have sunny weather and yes compared to say Italy we lack a rounded culture, but for you to scoff immigration and raise alcohol as a bigger issue is pure subjective bias.

Also London is a hellhole. I live here. Everywhere I go is Eastern Europeans and Muslims. You can't get away from them and all the English people are moving out or have moved out. Do you think an English person enjoys living in London? You must be deluded.

So people in this country are unhappy because they are offended by the sight of Muslims and immigrants? Can't say I sympathise...

London is the best city on this Earth BTW :heart:
Reply 24
Original post by WBZ144
So people in this country are unhappy because they are offended by the sight of Muslims and immigrants? Can't say I sympathise...

London is the best city on this Earth BTW :heart:

Jeez here we go. The brainless 'you're racist' brigade.

Well it's easy for you to say that isn't it? There are also black people everywhere. Do you think you would enjoy London if black people weren't around? Don't even kid yourself. Go live in Wales and let's see how you get on and then come back to me when you have the experience to speak. Not an ounce of understanding.

Also when did I say I was offended by the 'sight' of them? I never said that. I said that British culture is eroding and they are significantly responsible for that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Parx
Jeez here we go. The brainless 'you're racist' brigade.

Well it's easy for you to say that isn't it? There are also black people everywhere. Do you think you would enjoy London if black people weren't around? Don't even kid yourself. Go live in Wales and let's see how you get on and then come back to me when you have the experience to speak. Not an ounce of understanding.

Also when did I say I was offended by the 'sight' of them? I never said that. I said that British culture is eroding and they are significantly responsible for that.

I am living in Wales for uni :lol:

Not all of us get bitter because we're not surrounded only by people with the same skin colour as us. By the way London is a mixture of all ethnicities, but that's not the main reason why I love it :biggrin:
Reply 26
Original post by WBZ144
I am living in Wales for uni :lol:

Not all of us get bitter because we're not surrounded only by people with the same skin colour as us. By the way London is a mixture of all ethnicities, but that's not the main reason why I love it :biggrin:

Great. Now do you think that black people would ever choose to move to Wales if employment was available? Don't even pretend the answer would be yes. Of course they wouldn't. They wouldn't move to a Welsh town where they could possibly be the only black person around. So why question me? It's as if white people are just to be trodded on now. No rights.

Well, Londo nis very easy to be liked by anyone who is not white british quite honestly. It provides them great opportunity, great tolerance of their own culture, great employment and benefits, NHS access. Why don't you have an intelligent understanding of this situation? I don't mind Polish or Muslims, I just don't want them here in masses eroding our culture.
Original post by Parx
Great. Now do you think that black people would ever choose to move to Wales if employment was available? Don't even pretend the answer would be yes. Of course they wouldn't. They wouldn't move to a Welsh town where they could possibly be the only black person around. So why question me? It's as if white people are just to be trodded on now. No rights.

Well, Londo nis very easy to be liked by anyone who is not white british quite honestly. It provides them great opportunity, great tolerance of their own culture, great employment and benefits, NHS access. Why don't you have an intelligent understanding of this situation? I don't mind Polish or Muslims, I just don't want them here in masses eroding our culture.

Some Black people would, yes. I tend to move wherever there are work and education opportunities, regardless of the racial demography, not everyone has a mindset like yours. And there is nowhere in this country where you would be the only White person and perhaps one or two towns where you would be a minority (perhaps). This is either trolling or a persecution complex that I can't take seriously :lol:
Original post by godofwine
I absolutely agree. I used to live in the Midwest in the USA and people seemed a lot happier. Although, the winter's pretty brutal there.

The weather just seems to get worse the further north you go. Sadly, I live in the North lol

The southernmost part of Britain is further north than all of the US (with the exception of Alaska), it's not as simple as north = bad.

Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Am I the only one who loves England, our peculiar humour and way of being?

This.

I've lived in different countries around the world. None compare.
Reply 29
Original post by WBZ144
Some Black people would, yes. I tend to move wherever there are work and education opportunities, regardless of the racial demography, not everyone has a mindset like yours. And there is nowhere in this country where you would be the only White person and perhaps one or two towns where you would be a minority (perhaps). This is either trolling or a persecution complex that I can't take seriously :lol:

It's just not true. Only a minority of black people would ever choose themselves to relocate to Wales over a place like London. So don't even question me on 'my sight of Muslims and Polish'.

Did I ever say I would be the only white person? No I didn't. Why do you keep making false assumptions? But I don't expect in the capital of London to be a minority to the point where I get on my bus and nobody is speaking English (which these days happens more often than not). I feel so disappointed that I can't even share any cultural similarities to the people I am living with, in my homeland! And you are implying that I'm some racist. Pathetic. And you say minority in one or two towns. I am already a minority in London. I'm a minority in Luton, Bradford, Southall .. lots of places that will only grow more and more. You ignorance is why there is a get out of EU brigade with attitudes' like yours.
Original post by Parx
It's just not true. Only a minority of black people would ever choose themselves to relocate to Wales over a place like London. So don't even question me on 'my sight of Muslims and Polish'.

Did I ever say I would be the only white person? No I didn't. Why do you keep making false assumptions? But I don't expect in the capital of London to be a minority to the point where I get on my bus and nobody is speaking English (which these days happens more often than not). I feel so disappointed that I can't even share any cultural similarities to the people I am living with, in my homeland! And you are implying that I'm some racist. Pathetic. And you say minority in one or two towns. I am already a minority in London. I'm a minority in Luton, Bradford, Southall .. lots of places that will only grow more and more. You ignorance is why there is a get out of EU brigade with attitudes' like yours.

I see that you can read the minds of every Black person.

Whites are 59.79% in London, 54.6% in Luton and 67.44% in Bradford. Look up the stats instead of posting nonsense. I have never been on a bus in London or anywhere in this country where no one was speaking English. You seem like a drama queen who desperately wants to be a victim of some sort.
Reply 31
Original post by WBZ144
I see that you can read the minds of every Black person.

Whites are 59.79% in London, 54.6% in Luton and 67.44% in Bradford. Look up the stats instead of posting nonsense. I have never been on a bus in London or anywhere in this country where no one was speaking English. You seem like a drama queen who desperately wants to be a victim of some sort.

Just don't give me rubbish about not standing the sight of Poles or Muslims when 99% of black people would never choose to leave London for Wales. Don't be a hypocrite.

You lady are suffering from poor intelligence and delusions. Not surprised you are studying in Wales. 59% white - please provide me the link? Who said they are Brits? How about some damming evidence for you and your deluded ways?

http://www.niesr.ac.uk/blog/white-flight-600000-have-quit-london-decade-true-figure-far-higher#.VxS7jUcuPkc

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/9888310/Lets-talk-about-the-exodus-of-600000-whites-from-London.html

Do you not think that is rather significant? From the link also 'the proportion of white people in the borough of Barking and Dagenham has dropped from four fifths to less than a half in a decade'. So please don't fill me with rubbish when you quite clearly don't have any understanding whatsoever of the changing demographics of London and wider than that England.

I also can't believe you about your buses claim. It is quite a regular occurence where I live that everyone is speaking Eastern European languages or other. Heck just look at that statistic in Dagenham - statistically that would mean that getting on a bus today would see less Brits than 5-10 years ago. So what do you mean 'I have never been on a bus with no English people speaking before.' You're clearly talking crap.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Parx
Just don't give me rubbish about not standing the sight of Poles or Muslims when 99% of black people would never choose to leave London for Wales. Don't be a hypocrite.

You lady are suffering from poor intelligence and delusions. Not surprised you are studying in Wales. 59% white - please provide me the link? Who said they are Brits? How about some damming evidence for you and your deluded ways?

http://www.niesr.ac.uk/blog/white-flight-600000-have-quit-london-decade-true-figure-far-higher#.VxS7jUcuPkc

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/9888310/Lets-talk-about-the-exodus-of-600000-whites-from-London.html

Do you not think that is rather significant? From the link also 'the proportion of white people in the borough of Barking and Dagenham has dropped from four fifths to less than a half in a decade'. So please don't fill me with rubbish when you quite clearly don't have any understanding whatsoever of the changing demographics of London and wider than that England.

I also can't believe you about your buses claim. It is quite a regular occurence where I live that everyone is speaking Eastern European languages or other.

I can't say I believe your buses claim either, looks like we're on the same page for once :biggrin:

I don't find the ethnicities of the people I'm living with to be significant, so no.

London
https://www.nomisweb.co.uk/census/2011/QS201EW/view/2013265927?cols=measures

Bradford
http://www.bradford.gov.uk/bmdc/community_and_living/population

Luton
http://www.neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk/dissemination/LeadTableView.do?a=7&b=6275157&c=luton&d=13&e=62&g=6394327&i=1001x1003x1032x1004&m=0&r=1&s=1460977339293&enc=1&dsFamilyId=2477&nsjs=true&nsck=false&nssvg=false&nswid=1366

Those 600,000 chose to leave London, as I understand that the lifestyle in the capital isn't for everyone. Neither of those links show how Whites are now a minority.

Not my problem that you take an issue being around people who are not White Brits, go cry to someone who cares.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by WBZ144
I can't say I believe your buses claim either, looks like we're on the same page for once :biggrin:

I don't find the ethnicities of the people I'm living with to be significant, so no.

London
https://www.nomisweb.co.uk/census/2011/QS201EW/view/2013265927?cols=measures

Bradford
http://www.bradford.gov.uk/bmdc/community_and_living/population

Luton
http://www.neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk/dissemination/LeadTableView.do?a=7&b=6275157&c=luton&d=13&e=62&g=6394327&i=1001x1003x1032x1004&m=0&r=1&s=1460977339293&enc=1&dsFamilyId=2477&nsjs=true&nsck=false&nssvg=false&nswid=1366

Those 600,000 chose to leave London, as I understand that the lifestyle in the capital isn't for everyone. Neither of those links show how Whites are now a minority.

Look, when bias becomes the agenda in an argument - that's the point to refrain. You simply cannot say (or quantify) in any way shape or form why 620,000 white British Londoners leave London in the space of 10 years by saying that 'I understand the lifestyle in the capital isn't for everyone'. What kind of a ******** thing is that to say? Just leave it. Have your day. Have your life. Enjoy your multicultural London. Byebye.
Original post by Kathryn JLR
I genuinely believe that part of the reason us Brits seem to be miserable is down to the weather. The hottest it gets is around 30degrees at an absolute push and the usual summers day must be around 17degrees (at least from where I'm from, good old Merseyside) whereas that is most places winter temperatures!

I'm sure there are other reasons but I believe that to be a big one for us Brits.

Posted from TSR Mobile

30 degrees is really hot, any hotter than that is not good at all, I am from a tropical island near the equator and it rarely pushes 30 there either, high 30s is really not good.
Original post by Parx
In fairness, while you raise a fair point with the drinking culture in England to outright deny immigration and not mention the impact of Islam in this country 'Asif', is rather biased. It's all well and good saying it from your perspective but a lot of people are bothered by Islam and a lot of people are bothered by immigration, and rightly so. You can't just scoff that and say well it's an issue to those who consider it to be. Bigger issue than any drinking issue you raise, which is an issue in itself but nothing epidemic. The thing is that this is England, we don't have sunny weather and yes compared to say Italy we lack a rounded culture, but for you to scoff immigration and raise alcohol as a bigger issue is pure subjective bias.Also London is a hellhole. I live here. Everywhere I go is Eastern Europeans and Muslims. You can't get away from them and all the English people are moving out or have moved out. Do you think an English person enjoys living in London? You must be deluded.

Original post by asif007
I agree that England is a ******* miserable place to live, unless you're lucky enough to live and work in London which is the most lively and wonderful place to be. London is my home (lived there for 21 years) and I miss it every day. Everywhere else, bar a few of the major cities like Birmingham and Manchester, is a ****-hole. I should know, I've lived in the North of England for 5 years now and I absolutely detest it here. A major reason is of course the weather - it never stops ******* raining, even in the summer months, and the real summer weather only lasts for a couple of weeks every year. The rest of the time it's freezing cold, which means I have to wrap up in several layers or suffer crippling headaches and jaw pain, not to mention catching a cold a few times a year. But in addition to that, it's the British mentality that you have to get hammered in order to have a good time, otherwise you're a boring person and have to suffer rejection, isolation and loneliness away from people you used to call your friends. UK universities are disgusting places to make friends because your popularity and importance to everyone else is only dictated by how much alcohol you drink. Unless you live in a truly multi-cultural city with good integration between communities, every single city in the UK is just about this nightclub, this party, this outdoor festival (in **** weather) etc etc. For someone who doesn't drink and has no interest in nightclubs but prefers other events that only take place in other cities, living in the UK is a nightmare. Every day I have to walk through rain, snow and freezing cold to get to places, and it goes without saying that this gets very very depressing, very quickly. Furthermore, look at the state of our corrupt, spineless and downright ******* disgusting government who want to protect the rich at the expense of the working class, disabled, women and those in receipt of benefits - and you'll understand why I despise living in this country. Even our very own pride of British achievement, the NHS, is under threat from the same government who promised to protect it, and as I'm heading for a career in Medicine I refuse to be part of the government's evil machinations. I can't help where I was born, where I have grown up all my life and where my family are, but I can sure as hell work hard to make sure I get a job abroad in a beautiful sunny country. And when I do, I'm never coming back.

Anyone who disagrees with my views can go **** themselves. Britain used to be great, but it's since gone down the toilet. This has nothing to do with immigration or jobs, which will always be a problem to those who consider them to be. But there's a reason why most British people know and believe that life is better in other comparable countries. For me, the dream is to work in any of the Gulf countries like the UAE, Qatar, Bahrain etc. Followed by Singapore, Malaysia, India, South Africa, Malta etc. Notice that these are the places with the best reputations and that, most importantly, are where people are happiest. They don't all necessarily have infrastructure, but you can be sure to lead a better quality of life in any of these places than you can in the UK (particularly if you're in a professional job).

The drinking culture is a laugh, you guys just sound like sad loners who can't be social and piss about in their rooms.
Reply 36
Original post by Dinasaurus
The drinking culture is a laugh, you guys just sound like sad loners who can't be social and piss about in their rooms.

Huh? I drink and go out. I don't personally have any issue with drinking culture in England. However I can appreciate that for a non-drinker this could be an issue. However, saying all of that, he can't expect that he can't integrate into England because of how he feels about drinking culture as a result of his religious beliefs. It is for him to integrate into the UK, not the other way around, and if he personally feels as though he can't, then he is perfectly capable of moving to a country where his beliefs are more openly welcomed culturally.
Original post by Parx
Huh? I drink and go out. I don't personally have any issue with drinking culture in England. However I can appreciate that for a non-drinker this could be an issue. However, saying all of that, he can't expect that he can't integrate into England because of how he feels about drinking culture as a result of his religious beliefs. It is for him to integrate into the UK, not the other way around, and if he personally feels as though he can't, then he is perfectly capable of moving to a country where his beliefs are more openly welcomed culturally.

Oh sorry, I just hate the assumption that drinking is some sort of evil and only superficial people and alcoholics do it, I know plenty of well to do people who drink and have fun.
Reply 38
Original post by Dinasaurus
Oh sorry, I just hate the assumption that drinking is some sort of evil and only superficial people and alcoholics do it, I know plenty of well to do people who drink and have fun.

No no I never said that. I'm just saying a non-drinker would be repulsed by drinking generally. What the chap in question doesn't appreciate is that this is Western Europe and not the Middle East.
Definitely the weather but this is probably why Britain has been so successful at cultivating the sciences. In fact the probability of producing scientists was so large that the greatest scientist of them all, Newton, simply had to come from here.

Latest

Trending

Trending