The Student Room Group

Degree without honours - will it make a difference?

Hi All,

I am new the forum and after some advice....

I went straight into full time employment in my area of choice (IT) after completing my National Diploma in 2008, but began studying for a degree with the OU in 2010 as I knew it would always help my prospects.

Six years later I am now 28yo and 300 credits to the good, but my situation has changed completely. I am now in a position I enjoy (Business Analyst) earning a good wage and have a young family which is making studying very, very hard!

So I am now considering changing my qualification from BA (hons) Business Studies to an Open Degree (without honours) which would mean I officially 'have my degree' and can concentrate more on my work and home life, but I am concerned this will hinder my prospects of any future job change compared to if I stick to my original plan and gain the honours degree.

What do you guys think a prospective employer would think? I would hate to think the last six years have been wasted.

Neal
Perhaps you cna get the hons later? Tvh I think theres an assumption its an hours degree as long as its above a pass. Dont think a lot of people even mention honours as its not that relevant imo.
Original post by RegularTourist
Hi All,

I am new the forum and after some advice....

I went straight into full time employment in my area of choice (IT) after completing my National Diploma in 2008, but began studying for a degree with the OU in 2010 as I knew it would always help my prospects.

Six years later I am now 28yo and 300 credits to the good, but my situation has changed completely. I am now in a position I enjoy (Business Analyst) earning a good wage and have a young family which is making studying very, very hard!

So I am now considering changing my qualification from BA (hons) Business Studies to an Open Degree (without honours) which would mean I officially 'have my degree' and can concentrate more on my work and home life, but I am concerned this will hinder my prospects of any future job change compared to if I stick to my original plan and gain the honours degree.

What do you guys think a prospective employer would think? I would hate to think the last six years have been wasted.

Neal

Like above post Hons are pretty much not mentioned these days. obviously its a little extra to have but hey just fetch a good grade in whatever you do. Also you life/ professional experience is far more in value than Hons and I think many employers will look at you as an experienced professional. you've demonstrated you can hold down pretty good line of work and that you can apply what you've learned. if you were 21 with no professional experience then I would be inclined to say hit the Hons.

:smile:
Thanks Tigger, yes I do have the option to top-up to an honours degree at a later date (which I probably will). I just wasn't sure if telling future employers I have a degree without honours would damage my changes. I obviously have a reason as to why I chose the different path!
Thanks both, much appreciated!
Reply 5
I'd be inclined to finish and get the 'honours' at some point as it is only another 60 credits/year of part time study - is the non honours degree even classified as in 1st, 2:1 etc.. or just awarded as a pass, non honours degree? That would have an impact if you wanted to either apply to masters courses or if an employer looks for say a 2:1 or above. Obviously you're not a fresh graduate and do have work experience so perhaps it is less important to you but it is potentially going to raise some questions.

The other minor concern would be explaining the 'open' degree, this isn't always an issue and in a lot of instances I think people study for an open degree where they wanted to pick a range of modules not offered together as part of a named degree... but they still do 360 credits of them and get a classification with honours.

On the other hand your open degree is simply going to follow the Business Studies syllabus rather than a range of subjects and the reason for it being an open degree is that you've decided to quit(at least for the moment). That could be harder to explain or at least to make it look good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending