The Student Room Group
Students relax on campus, Teesside University
Teesside University
Middlesbrough
Visit website

Diagnostic Radiography MSc/PgDip

Hello everyone.
So Ive been offered a place on the Diagnostic Radiography MSc for Jan 2017 and Ive got loads of questions. I applied to the BSc but because ive already got a degree i was offered the MSc... so i havent really got a great amount of knowledge about the MSc course.

What is the time table going to look like? Even on like a weekly basis sort of what days would we be in and how is the year split up?

Can anyone recommend any anatomy courses that could be done by distance learning? My previouse degree is in Environmental Science... so not much Biology there. Need to swat up in the next year.

Is the course intense? I actually applied for the BSc because i thought it would be more manageable with a part time job since i wont get any maintenance loan. I will be living in sunderland and communting to uni.

Is there a dissertation? I know normally on a MSc they are 20000 words and we all know how soul destorying they can be.

I know i have more questions but thats all i can think of right now!

Thanks
Charlie
Reply 1
Original post by Charlizzle
Hello everyone.
So Ive been offered a place on the Diagnostic Radiography MSc for Jan 2017 and Ive got loads of questions. I applied to the BSc but because ive already got a degree i was offered the MSc... so i havent really got a great amount of knowledge about the MSc course.

What is the time table going to look like? Even on like a weekly basis sort of what days would we be in and how is the year split up?

Can anyone recommend any anatomy courses that could be done by distance learning? My previouse degree is in Environmental Science... so not much Biology there. Need to swat up in the next year.

Is the course intense? I actually applied for the BSc because i thought it would be more manageable with a part time job since i wont get any maintenance loan. I will be living in sunderland and communting to uni.

Is there a dissertation? I know normally on a MSc they are 20000 words and we all know how soul destorying they can be.

Thanks
Charlie

I know this has nothing to do with your message but in relation to dissertations....

Hi I came across a post from you saying that you lived in sunderland (North East England) and found that that you would be suitable for my survey I am doing for my 3rd year dissertation. If you could find just two minutes to compete this survey you'd be doing me a great deal! And if at any stage in your uni experience would you find yourself needing people to do a survey for you, you could always ask me in return. Even tho i am in my final year, I will be on the website every so often as it helps with much more than just uni life.The survey will take you only a couple of minutes and is very straight forward.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/16humqEPHJmqTxTXsiFl8SYa3BPZ7Hdm nHEWrVbwQj50/viewform

Thank you in advance and I really do hope you can help me out
Students relax on campus, Teesside University
Teesside University
Middlesbrough
Visit website
Hi, I've just applied for this course over the last week but haven't heard anything back yet! How long was it between you applying and hearing back from them? How was your interview?
Reply 3
Original post by strewthruth
Hi, I've just applied for this course over the last week but haven't heard anything back yet! How long was it between you applying and hearing back from them? How was your interview?

It was within a few days/maybe a week but I was already in contact with the course leader as I applied to the BSc. So he knew my application was being sent.
Hello everyone.

Thanks
Charlie

Hi Charlie, I started this course this January so can answer some of your questions.

1st year we are in 3 days a week (Mon/Wed/Fri), and second year we have been told it will be 2 days a week (Tues/Thur).

Both years are split in half. From January to May you'll be in lectures for first year. Then June to January you'll be doing 2 back to back clinical placements. Second year is split the same except you only have 1 clinical placement in the second half of the year.

You are expected to do a lot of independent learning on the MSc but there is people on the course with part-time jobs.

The dissertation is optional. After the 3rd clinical placement is finished you are allowed to "step-off" the course and graduate with a Postgraduate Diploma which allows you to practice as a radiographer. If you continue after the 3rd placement you write a dissertation in around 3 months I believe, and graduate with the Masters which also allows you to practice as a radiographer.
Reply 5
Original post by Chris_K_93
Hi Charlie, I started this course this January so can answer some of your questions.

1st year we are in 3 days a week (Mon/Wed/Fri), and second year we have been told it will be 2 days a week (Tues/Thur).

Both years are split in half. From January to May you'll be in lectures for first year. Then June to January you'll be doing 2 back to back clinical placements. Second year is split the same except you only have 1 clinical placement in the second half of the year.

You are expected to do a lot of independent learning on the MSc but there is people on the course with part-time jobs.

The dissertation is optional. After the 3rd clinical placement is finished you are allowed to "step-off" the course and graduate with a Postgraduate Diploma which allows you to practice as a radiographer. If you continue after the 3rd placement you write a dissertation in around 3 months I believe, and graduate with the Masters which also allows you to practice as a radiographer.

Thanks for the detailed reply Chris.

Just wondering if there is much if any funding available for the MSc. Im struggling to get any info out of the finance companys at this stage as they keep telling me to call back after X date. Which is a bit annoying as i need to financially plan for the course.

How are you finding the course so far is the work load manageable?
Are there any breaks in the terms like holidays or study weeks? I ask because I currently work in a school and i have a holiday booked for next febuary in the half term. But I booked this before I had intended on coming back to university.

Feeling a little stressed but I feel like its my last chance to go and persue the career i would like.
Reply 6
Hi guys,

i've got in interview for this course early next month. Can you let me know some details for the interview? how it is? whats asked? how long is it?

thanks,
Reply 7
Hey Guys,

I have an interview for this course early next month - can you please give me some details as to how the interview goes and how i should prepare?

thanks
Reply 8
Original post by louise.47
Hey Guys,

I have an interview for this course early next month - can you please give me some details as to how the interview goes and how i should prepare?

thanks

Hi louise,

I went for an interview for the BSc so im not totally sure if the MSc would be the same format. (I found the interview very irritating as I revised it like I would for a professional job interview). The interview was a 15min time slot where they asked you 5 questions. They asked me,
"If we were coming around for tea what would you cook us?"
"What does a sick person need?"
"What do you think the role of a radiographer involves?"
"How would you support your collegues"
And i cant quite remember the last one.

They were for the BSc unfortunately im not sure they will ask the same for the MSc, i would like to think they would ask you more personality and skilled questions.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Hi louise,

I went for an interview for the BSc so im not totally sure if the MSc would be the same format. (I found the interview very irritating as I revised it like I would for a professional job interview). The interview was a 15min time slot where they asked you 5 questions. They asked me,

They were for the BSc unfortunately im not sure they will ask the same for the MSc, i would like to think they would ask you more personality and skilled questions.

no thats very helpful thanks so much! has anyone applied to or heard from QMU radiography?
I applied to QMU 2 months ago and got interview offer within a week or 2. Also have an interview with teesside next May. Any idea on what questions they ask and what hapends on the day?

Cheers.
Thanks for the detailed reply Chris.

Just wondering if there is much if any funding available for the MSc. Im struggling to get any info out of the finance companys at this stage as they keep telling me to call back after X date. Which is a bit annoying as i need to financially plan for the course.

How are you finding the course so far is the work load manageable?
Are there any breaks in the terms like holidays or study weeks? I ask because I currently work in a school and i have a holiday booked for next febuary in the half term. But I booked this before I had intended on coming back to university.

Feeling a little stressed but I feel like its my last chance to go and persue the career i would like.

Unfortunately Im not too sure what is happening with funding. I receive the NHS bursary and pay no tuition fees but Im not sure what funding options are available with the recent developments.

Workload will vary from person to person. Anatomy isn't taught that indepth on the MSc so you're expected to learn that in your own time if your BSc didn't cover it.

There isn't a lot of assignments given throughout the year. We had a marked presentation just before easter break and 2 essays given a bit before easter which are due in at the end of may before we start placement.

Holiday wise we got 3 weeks for easter, then 2 weeks for the summer which are negotiable with our placement hospital and then 2 or 3 weeks for christmas.
Reply 12
Hi guys! I have an interview in November. Just wondering if there will be written exams as part of the
selection process. Thanks!
Reply 13
Hello everyone.

Thanks
Charlie

Hi Charlie

Congratulations on your offer :smile:

As soon as the timetable for your course is scheduled we'll get in touch and send you a confirmation and a link to our welcome web - this mini website provides lots of information about your new course including the first few weeks of your timetable and details of reading materials. You'll get your full timetable when you start your course.

In the meantime you can have a look at your course page on our website - check out the different tabs for details of how you learn, what you study, etc.

MSc Diagnostic Radiography (pre-registration) is a two year full-time programme - we recommend that you view it almost like a full-time job as you'll need to attend University 4.5 days a week. When you're on placement you're expected to follow the shift pattern of the placement (which can vary as you're in the real workplace).

Hope this helps alongside the advice from other forum users :smile:

If you've got any other questions let us know on here or you can email the School of Health & Social Care at [email protected] or give the team a call on 01642 384110. For more general queries you can also get in touch with us on Facebook or email [email protected].

We're looking forward to meeting you in Jan :smile::smile:
Reply 14
Hi louise,

Typical Diagnostic Radiography questions
What skill does a radiographer have?
If we come for evening tea what would you make us? Dont forget sweet dish!!
Why should we pick you as a radiography student?
What would you do if a person has collapsed? Dont panick etc
If your patient came for chest x ray and had a necklace on what can you and can not do?

Also look at the sample admissions test and you need to pass it with very good mark.
Qmc and derby for MSc pre reg are easy to get in. For this you need to be nvited for the interview!!! So best bet is to work hard in your personal statement.
Tuition fees is can be a problem aswell as living costs.
The closer to home the better you are. This is because you need to do assignments in the evening. Good luck every one.
Hello everyone.

Thanks
Charlie

Hi Charlie

Please drop us line on [email protected] or 01642 384110 - a member of the health admissions team will be happy to go through your queries and put you in touch with the course leader if you have any further questions :smile:
Original post by Tees Uni
Hi Charlie

Please drop us line on [email protected] or 01642 384110 - a member of the health admissions team will be happy to go through your queries and put you in touch with the course leader if you have any further questions :smile:

Lucky you Charlie.
Congrats, I had interview 3 times still didn't get in.
Is it true that most people are invited for the interview will never get a place?
Are their many Asian people on the course?
Any black and Chinese people on the course?
Hamraz Razzaq

Quick Reply

Latest