The Student Room Group

Starting a new job tommorow and its technically my 1st job, any words of wisdom?

Feeling incredibly nervous, i ve done a couple of voluntary things before and some work experience placements but never a paid job and I think its making me even more nervous :/

Scroll to see replies

Original post by claireestelle
Feeling incredibly nervous, i ve done a couple of voluntary things before and some work experience placements but never a paid job and I think its making me even more nervous :/

What job is it?

Just breathe. Remember to smile on the day and get plenty of rest beforehand. Have breakfast if you can stomach it and don't worry too much. They'll know it's your first day. Even if you'd held previous roles previously, you'd simply be shown the ropes on the first day.

You will probably make some mistakes but the important thing is how you deal with them as they're inevitable. Good luck!
Original post by Emma:-)
What job is it?

It's a part time sales associate job :smile:
Reply 4
Jobs aren't permanent. You hate it? You can get a new job. Worst comes to the worst you're in the position you were last week etc.

Generally, working isn't as bad as I thought it would be before I started. Is it a career type job or a part time thing?
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
Just breathe. Remember to smile on the day and get plenty of rest beforehand. Have breakfast if you can stomach it and don't worry too much. They'll know it's your first day. Even if you'd held previous roles previously, you'd simply be shown the ropes on the first day.

You will probably make some mistakes but the important thing is how you deal with them as they're inevitable. Good luck!

Thank you, that's really helpful:smile: I always struggle to eat when i m nervous even though I should, do you have any suggestions of something i should get down me for breakfast?
It's a part time sales associate job :smile:

As long as you work hard, turn up on time etc and take on board any advice/tips/feedback the staff there give you then you should be fine.
Remember that customers arent always right, despite the saying. Some do test your patience, but as long as you keep your cool and deal with them in a professional manner then you will be fine.
Reply 7

My advice, don't be too obviously excited. Stay calm and collected.

Don't push your 100%, do around 70% of your total ability, in case they push more work onto you in future, you have room to take without going crazy.
Original post by Hanvyj
Jobs aren't permanent. You hate it? You can get a new job. Worst comes to the worst you're in the position you were last week etc.

Generally, working isn't as bad as I thought it would be before I started. Is it a career type job or a part time thing?

It's a part time thing:smile: It took me a good six weeks to find a job so i guess i m worried it wont go well and i'll end up in the same position again.
If you struggle eating when nervous, try having a smoothie for breakfast. Bulk it up with lots of peanut butter/chia/protein powder to fill yourself up because there's nothing worse than being hungry on your first day! There's going to be a lot to take in and you'll need the energy.

Also, remember that there IS a lot to take in on the first day of any job but they won't expect you to remember it all. You'll be told and thrown things left right and centre for the first few weeks of a new job but they know it's all new to you. If you don't understand something, just ask. I've been in my job for over a year now and I still ask questions constantly. My job has lots of niggly little bits that don't happen often so I'd much rather ask a question that try and muddle through and get it wrong.

Try and enjoy it, new jobs are daunting whether it's your first or hundredth, but it's all good experience!
Smile and do whatever they tell you to do to the best ability :biggrin:
Original post by Emma:-)
As long as you work hard, turn up on time etc and take on board any advice/tips/feedback the staff there give you then you should be fine.
Remember that customers arent always right, despite the saying. Some do test your patience, but as long as you keep your cool and deal with them in a professional manner then you will be fine.

Thank you:smile: I'm hoping there won't be any customer complaints on the first day.
Reply 12
Take some lunch with you, but also take some money so you can see what everyone else does and fit in. Since you don't know yet if there is a fridge or microwave, something like jam sandwiches would be ideal.

Turn up about 10 mins early.

Don't take valuables as you don't know if you'll get a locker.

Remember that everyone there has been in this position, and it is normal to feel nervous.
Don't panic about anything and it'll be fine, they won't expect you to know the job inside out on day one.

Also don't knock a full cup of coffee over the desk on the first day like I did(I still kept the job). :smile:
gariad pob lwc !
Nothing to be worried about. You got the job because you were qualified for it.

Well done and good luck - show them how awesome you are!
Thank you, that's really helpful:smile: I always struggle to eat when i m nervous even though I should, do you have any suggestions of something i should get down me for breakfast?

When I'm nervous, a lot of the time, the mere thought of food makes me feel like I have diarrhoea. :console:

For breakfast: I'd recommend Greek yoghurt and some grapes. :yep:
Original post by lNurl
My advice, don't be too obviously excited. Stay calm and collected.

Don't push your 100%, do around 70% of your total ability, in case they push more work onto you in future, you have room to take without going crazy.

Thank you, i ll do my best to stay calm:smile: It's a sale assistant job so hopefully they wont throw too much work at me.

Original post by kpizzle17
If you struggle eating when nervous, try having a smoothie for breakfast. Bulk it up with lots of peanut butter/chia/protein powder to fill yourself up because there's nothing worse than being hungry on your first day! There's going to be a lot to take in and you'll need the energy.

Also, remember that there IS a lot to take in on the first day of any job but they won't expect you to remember it all. You'll be told and thrown things left right and centre for the first few weeks of a new job but they know it's all new to you. If you don't understand something, just ask. I've been in my job for over a year now and I still ask questions constantly. My job has lots of niggly little bits that don't happen often so I'd much rather ask a question that try and muddle through and get it wrong.

Try and enjoy it, new jobs are daunting whether it's your first or hundredth, but it's all good experience!

Thank you:smile: I ll try a smoothie although i cant stand protein powder so i ll try and get plenty of fruit in. I'll make sure to ask plenty of questions :smile:
Original post by Juno
Take some lunch with you, but also take some money so you can see what everyone else does and fit in. Since you don't know yet if there is a fridge or microwave, something like jam sandwiches would be ideal.

Turn up about 10 mins early.

Don't take valuables as you don't know if you'll get a locker.

Remember that everyone there has been in this position, and it is normal to feel nervous.

Thank you:smile: I'll take my bank card and phone with me and buy a sandwich on the way but leave anything else at home, its walking distance from home so should need any kind of valuables anyway :smile:
Original post by samina_ay
Smile and do whatever they tell you to do to the best ability :biggrin:

Thank you:smile:

Original post by JamesN88
Don't panic about anything and it'll be fine, they won't expect you to know the job inside out on day one.

Also don't knock a full cup of coffee over the desk on the first day like I did(I still kept the job). :smile:

I'll try not to panic, i m pretty clumsy so i deliberately don't make too full hot drinks in case that happens:P

Original post by the bear
gariad pob lwc !

Diolch :smile:

Original post by Iamyourfather
Nothing to be worried about. You got the job because you were qualified for it.

Well done and good luck - show them how awesome you are!

Thank you, it was quite a surprise to get offered the job to be honest so i m hoping to prove they made the right decision:smile:

Original post by BelgianBee
When I'm nervous, a lot of the time, the mere thought of food makes me feel like I have diarrhoea. :console:

For breakfast: I'd recommend Greek yoghurt and some grapes. :yep:

Yeah, i always lose my appetite when i m nervous and dont even like the look of food, havent felt like eating much today really.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending