The Student Room Group

How does light intensity affect the rate of blinking?

Does it even have an effect on it?
Reply 1
it would have an effect on it
Reply 2
Original post by hanniej
it would have an effect on it

Do you know why?
What do you mean by blinking?
If you mean like a torch with frequency 1Hz of blinking, moving the torch away from you would not affect that rate, only the intensity of the light.
Reply 4
Original post by The-Spartan
What do you mean by blinking?
If you mean like a torch with frequency 1Hz of blinking, moving the torch away from you would not affect that rate, only the intensity of the light.

The blinking of the eye.
Original post by fingolfin
The blinking of the eye.

Oh :biggrin: AFAIK, no, there would not be an increase as blinking is a response to clean the eye of foreign material, and is not because of light intensity.
If you took a person out of a dark room and placed them in light, they will blink more as their iris adjusts to protect against overexposure of light to the retina. Apart from this, i cannot think otherwise

Im no biologist though so dont quote me on that :smile:
Reply 6
Oh :biggrin: AFAIK, no, there would not be an increase as blinking is a response to clean the eye of foreign material, and is not because of light intensity.
If you took a person out of a dark room and placed them in light, they will blink more as their iris adjusts to protect against overexposure of light to the retina. Apart from this, i cannot think otherwise

I think that answers it, thanks a lot!

Mate you don't make sense... you've contradicted yourself, 'there would not be an increase' and then you said 'they will blink more' when taken out of a dark room!

Dark room to a lighted room is a change in light intensity thus contraction of the pupil to prevent damage to the eye will cause an increase in the blinking rate of the subject.

Quick Reply

Latest