The Student Room Group

EU students applying for a tuition fee loan

Hi!
I am an EU student and I have been accepted into a university in UK, more specifically, in England. I would like to apply for the Tuition Fee Loan on Student Finance, but I am a little confused. They say that any student should apply as soon as the application platform is open. However, I have found one link which specifies that EU students can apply from April 2016 on. And I am not sure whether or not I should create an account. Can anybody help me?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Diana Jalea
Hi!
I am an EU student and I have been accepted into a university in UK, more specifically, in England. I would like to apply for the Tuition Fee Loan on Student Finance, but I am a little confused. They say that any student should apply as soon as the application platform is open. However, I have found one link which specifies that EU students can apply from April 2016 on. And I am not sure whether or not I should create an account. Can anybody help me?

Continuing EU students can apply already.

EU students who have UK residency and can claim a living cost loan as well as tuition fees can apply now through the standard SFE portal.

New EU students forms will be released in April here: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-forms/y/eu-full-time/year-1617/new-student
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Continuing EU students can apply already.

EU students who have UK residency and can claim a living cost loan as well as tuition fees can apply now through the standard SFE portal.

New EU students forms will be released in April here: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-forms/y/eu-full-time/year-1617/new-student

So, given that I am a new EU student, should I create an account in order to be ready for when the forms are released? And one more thing....are EU students allowed to apply online or the only way is through the post?
So, given that I am a new EU student, should I create an account in order to be ready for when the forms are released? And one more thing....are EU students allowed to apply online or the only way is through the post?

You don't need an account - if you're applying for tuition fees then it's a paper form
Original post by PQ
You don't need an account - if you're applying for tuition fees then it's a paper form

I don't understand what they mean by new eu student.

I will be living in the UK for 3 years before my course starts, am I considered a new eu student?
Original post by saraahaley
I don't understand what they mean by new eu student.

I will be living in the UK for 3 years before my course starts, am I considered a new eu student?

A new student is someone who hasn't applied before.

If you meet the residency requirement for 3 years and want to apply for a student loan for living costs and not just the tuition loan then you need to apply here as if you were a UK student: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login

You need to get your application in by midnight tonight. Applications that are completed from 24 March onwards will only award living cost loans to EU citizens who have lived in the UK for 5 years or more when their course starts.
Original post by PQ
A new student is someone who hasn't applied before.

If you meet the residency requirement for 3 years and want to apply for a student loan for living costs and not just the tuition loan then you need to apply here as if you were a UK student: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login

You need to get your application in by midnight tonight. Applications that are completed from 24 March onwards will only award living cost loans to EU citizens who have lived in the UK for 5 years or more when their course starts.

I have completed my application and they asked me to send my original passport to proof I am from the eu, which I did yesterday. However they haven't asked me to provide evidence of residency yet, so I am assuming they will when they receive my passport. Is there a deadline for providing this evidence?
Original post by saraahaley
I have completed my application and they asked me to send my original passport to proof I am from the eu, which I did yesterday. However they haven't asked me to provide evidence of residency yet, so I am assuming they will when they receive my passport. Is there a deadline for providing this evidence?

They should notify you of deadlines when they ask for evidence.

With everything SFE it's best to get things in as soon as possible to give yourself time to deal with any appeals or mistakes.
Reply 8
Original post by PQ

Thank you for your quick answer! Does the 24th March deadline apply for the EU students too? And are EU students eligible for maintainance loans or just for tuition fee loans?
Thank you for your quick answer! Does the 24th March deadline apply for the EU students too? And are EU students eligible for maintainance loans or just for tuition fee loans?

The 24th deadline is for EU students who have been resident in the UK for more than 3 years but less than 5 and so are eligible to claim maintenance loans as well as tuition. They apply in a completely different way to EU students who are only eligible for a tuition fee loan.
Original post by PQ
The 24th deadline is for EU students who have been resident in the UK for more than 3 years but less than 5 and so are eligible to claim maintenance loans as well as tuition. They apply in a completely different way to EU students who are only eligible for a tuition fee loan.

Thank you very much!
Thank you very much!

Hello! This is still a little bit unclear to me...Do i have to send the paper forms through post at the given address?
Hi, Do you know which documents we need to send? Also I am a little bit confused with the verifier information. What is it for?
Original post by macarenafc92
Hi, Do you know which documents we need to send? Also I am a little bit confused with the verifier information. What is it for?

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-student-finance
Here`s a useful link. The forms vary depending on where you live and what kind of student you are. I haven`t heard of the verifier information until now.
Hi,

I'm a greek student and I applied for law courses in UK.I got three conditional offers and still waiting.Well,my issue is that I'm confused about the tuition fee loan,'cause there's no way to pay them by myself.So,I have the following questions:
1)When do I have to apply for tuition fees loan?
2)Can I apply before getting in?(cause I'll have my grades in June)
3)How many possibilities do I have for getting a student loan?
4)When will I know if my application has been accepted?

I know that many of these questions(or all of them) may be silly,but I'm kinda nervous about that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Georgestr
Hi,

I'm a greek student and I applied for law courses in UK.I got three conditional offers and still waiting.Well,my issue is that I'm confused about the tuition fee loan,'cause there's no way to pay them by myself.So,I have the following questions:
1)When do I have to apply for tuition fees loan?
2)Can I apply before getting in?(cause I'll have my grades in June)
3)How many possibilities do I have for getting a student loan?
4)When will I know if my application has been accepted?

I know that many of these questions(or all of them) may be silly,but I'm kinda nervous about that.

1) now: see the forms here: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-forms/y/eu-full-time/year-1617/new-student
2) yes - if you've picked a firm choice then put that in your application, if you haven't picked yet then make your best guess about which university you will go to. It is possible to change this easily in August
3) I don't understand this question. If you're an EU student on a recognised course without previous study then you will be eligible and get a loan. You'll need to reapply every year
4) You should know within a month or so of applying.
Original post by PQ
1) now: see the forms here: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-forms/y/eu-full-time/year-1617/new-student
2) yes - if you've picked a firm choice then put that in your application, if you haven't picked yet then make your best guess about which university you will go to. It is possible to change this easily in August
3) I don't understand this question. If you're an EU student on a recognised course without previous study then you will be eligible and get a loan. You'll need to reapply every year

Thank you SO much!
Reply 17
Hi, I am from Rumania, I lived in Japan for 10 years, I came to England in March 2016 and I want to apply to university this year to start in 2017. I would like to know if I have the right to apply for tuition fee loan even if I didn't stay permanently in my country. Thank you very much in advance.
Reply 18
Original post by PQ

Hello sir, i have got a simple question, I'm in England since September 2013 and i have started the university in year 2015/16 and i have applied for tuition fees and i have received, last month the student finance has send a letter to me for the next academic year. The question is: This year i'll be a continuos student and it will be my third year in UK, am i allowed to apply for Maintenance Loan to help me with living cost this year?

Regards
Original post by lmfp
Hello sir, i have got a simple question, I'm in England since September 2013 and i have started the university in year 2015/16 and i have applied for tuition fees and i have received, last month the student finance has send a letter to me for the next academic year. The question is: This year i'll be a continuos student and it will be my third year in UK, am i allowed to apply for Maintenance Loan to help me with living cost this year?

Regards

I'm afraid not. Eligibility based on residency is about how long you have lived in the uk at the start of your course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending