The Student Room Group

Just got a U in my chemistry mock and I need an A to study medicine

My question is; which cliff do I jump off?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lularose83

... one way to get into hospitals.
None! You need to spend these next few days making revision worth it and spend your time wisely. How many mocks have you had before and what did you get in them? It could just be a one off.
Original post by charco
... one way to get into hospitals.

Best comment on TSR 2016 so far.

Deciding which cliff to jump off can be quite tricky. The White Cliffs of Dover would be my top pick.

On a serious note, was the mock a 'teacher designed' paper or last year's paper?
if you revise from now on, you can get a C max

i haven't seen a U to A happen in 4 weeks, it can be possible if you breathe in chemistry 24/7 and understand the in's and out of every damn topic
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by jake4198
Deciding which cliff to jump off can be quite tricky. The White Cliffs of Dover would be my top pick.

On a serious note, was the mock a 'teacher designed' paper or last year's paper?

OCR A f324. Beautiful paper!
Original post by samina_ay

i haven't seen a U to A happen in 4 weeks, it can be possible if you breathe in chemistry 24/7 and understand the in's and out of every damn topic

I'm guessing the OP is talking about their A2 exam, so that likely won't be until around mid-June. It'll be tough, but surely it'll be possible considering there's a full two months.
Reply 8
Original post by samina_ay

I've been on an A/b all year so font really know what happened. Just feel like my hopes are dashed by the mock grade :frown:
OCR A f324. Beautiful paper!

In fairness, I need to get an A* in maths to do economics at Edinburgh; if I did a Core 4 paper now I'd probably scrape an E.

As long as your other units are OK of course there's enough time to rectify it.
Media Studies at the Met awaits :yep:

Jkkk, but you need to spend every day revising hard af if you want to get it to an A, nobody else will tell you otherwise. How did you get a U anyway, what went wrong?
I've been on an A/b all year so font really know what happened. Just feel like my hopes are dashed by the mock grade :frown:

if you have got A/B's throughout the year, you need to practise papers in exam conditions and see what grades you get on those. then revise your weak topics and then hit the papers again! you can do it :biggrin:
Original post by jake4198
In fairness, I need to get an A* in maths to do economics at Edinburgh; if I did a Core 4 paper now I'd probably scrape an E.

As long as your other units are OK of course there's enough time to rectify it.

I hope so:smile:
Good luck with your revision as well!
Just be happy it's that and note, "I did a past paper and got a U, my exam is tomorrow"
Original post by somemightsay888
Media Studies at the Met awaits :yep:

Jkkk, but you need to spend every day revising hard af if you want to get it to an A, nobody else will tell you otherwise. How did you get a U anyway, what went wrong?

Haha, I don't even London met would take me at the moment! I guess it was because I was ill the week before exams/ didn't revise chemistry as much as I should have done. On the other hand, I might just really suck at chemistry, which is something I'm accepting now!
Haha, I don't even London met would take me at the moment! I guess it was because I was ill the week before exams/ didn't revise chemistry as much as I should have done. On the other hand, I might just really suck at chemistry, which is something I'm accepting now!

If you've been getting A's and B's before this, I don't think you suck. Maybe you just got complacent, your illness compounding that has resulted in, well, this. Revise Chemistry from now I'd say, don't get complacent, don't let up and no matter how many A's or B's you get in mocks at home in class etc. remember it means nothing till the actual exams. Don't just accept your **** tho, I did that at AS Chem (Also OCR) and spent the exam drawing random **** in the paper :rofl: You do not want to do that
It's hard to take, but there are two ways of looking at this.

1. You don't know anything and you're doomed to fail.

2. The mock has exposed weaknesses in your understanding and exam technique, which you can use to help develop some kind of revision plan to rectify these areas that you thought you knew so that come the real thing you are ready, and you will be absolutely fine

In all honesty whichever one you believe you are probably going to be right - if you don't believe that you can achieve the grades you want you most likely won't, but hopefully you will be in the latter category. Take the time to properly look over your paper and work out exactly what went wrong, and do the work necessary to address these areas and the holes in your understanding. It's not going to be easy by any stretch of the imagination but you really have to try and put it behind you and make sure that come exam time you are better prepared for whatever they throw at you. Best of luck
Original post by samb1234
It's hard to take, but there are two ways of looking at this.

1. You don't know anything and you're doomed to fail.

2. The mock has exposed weaknesses in your understanding and exam technique, which you can use to help develop some kind of revision plan to rectify these areas that you thought you knew so that come the real thing you are ready, and you will be absolutely fine

In all honesty whichever one you believe you are probably going to be right - if you don't believe that you can achieve the grades you want you most likely won't, but hopefully you will be in the latter category. Take the time to properly look over your paper and work out exactly what went wrong, and do the work necessary to address these areas and the holes in your understanding. It's not going to be easy by any stretch of the imagination but you really have to try and put it behind you and make sure that come exam time you are better prepared for whatever they throw at you. Best of luck

Thank you for the advice!
Apparently @preetg97 went from an E to an A in just 2 weeks for A level Chemistry. I have no idea how she did it...
All is not lost! The beauty of OCR chemistry (and something that I didn't appreciate last year, but am now) is the way they will repeat questions with standard answers. Get some index cards, go through the papers and write down all the standard answer questions you can find along with the mark scheme answers. Learn every single definition off by heart as well. Draw big posters with the organic mechanisms and practice drawing them. Cry with happiness because F325 is nowhere near as much application.

You'll be fine as long as you work hard and smart from now until the exam - I think if I did an F324 mock solely without any aid right now I would probably get a U too, and I need a B!

Quick Reply

Latest