The Student Room Group

GCSE Drama help!

I have my drama exam in a week and I'm super nervous :/ If anyone can offer any tips/advice on how to get an A* in the performance I will be very grateful :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
ah, which practical assessment are you doing? We did one for Theatre in Education and just completed our scripted piece. I'm glad that's 60% of the grade out of the way but my advice would just be to stay calm and focused. I know that is really cliche, but I also did some research on my characters and stuff and made sure that I knew why I was playing them in a certain way - this kind of analysis is really great also when you go to write about it in the actual written exam
I assume its your practical exam, if so:
1.Make sure you know you and your group know your lines.
2. Make sure you are constantly acting - even when you aren't saying anything.
3.Use of facial expression and body language - (reactions).
4.PROJECT!!!
5. Slow down your lines - this improves your diction.

Enjoy it!

N.B. I was told to focus on points 2,3 & 5 by my teacher last year. I ended up getting 119/120 in the exam. (Someone else in my group did get 120/120!)
Original post by 10tojones
4.PROJECT!!!

Enjoy it!

N.B. I was told to focus on points 2,3 & 5 by my teacher last year. I ended up getting 119/120 in the exam. (Someone else in my group did get 120/120!)

What the hell how!!!!!!
Reply 4
Original post by Lrrgolas
ah, which practical assessment are you doing? We did one for Theatre in Education and just completed our scripted piece. I'm glad that's 60% of the grade out of the way but my advice would just be to stay calm and focused. I know that is really cliche, but I also did some research on my characters and stuff and made sure that I knew why I was playing them in a certain way - this kind of analysis is really great also when you go to write about it in the actual written exam

Thanks for the advice :smile: Im doing edexel unit 3 (the performance) and we have made up our performance from scratch so it's difficult for us. I'm stressed but trying to keep focused though :s-smilie:
Reply 5
Original post by 10tojones
4.PROJECT!!!

Enjoy it!

Thank you and well done on your results they're incredible! My teacher is mainly focusing on drama devices/techniques how important is that? E.g our performance is based on metatheatre and we are showing a flashback - is it worth adding more techniques or should we just focus on facial expressions etc. ?
p.s. I do edexel :smile:
thank you
Original post by Ananya._c
Thank you and well done on your results they're incredible! My teacher is mainly focusing on drama devices/techniques how important is that? E.g our performance is based on metatheatre and we are showing a flashback - is it worth adding more techniques or should we just focus on facial expressions etc. ?
p.s. I do edexel :smile:
thank you

The more variety you can show during the performance. Like flashbacks, dream sequences, (non) naturalistic, etc... the better (in theory!) your marks.
Reply 7
hi does anyone know if you can request a second opinion/remark on your performance?
Be confident/assertive. Know your cues and lines...act naturally even if someone in the group makes a mistake and you notice.

Don't panic..block the audience (hopefully with stage lights) and shine away.

My school used the acronym 'MRS. GVF' to base 'acting skills' around....I did AQA Drama..but...MRS GVF is
Movement, Relationships, Stance, Gestures, Voice and Facial Expressions. There's many things within each category listed.
@kaldrogo123 - Well I don't think its extremely hard to get full or near full marks. I got 105/120 myself..which is good I guess. You need to have a very nice teacher and you need to be good up to a certain standard to get it.

Quick Reply

Latest